Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets Tweets 12/3: "Beginning of the McElroy era" Edition

Jets Tweets 12/3: "Beginning of the McElroy era" Edition

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Rex comes to the locker room to console Mark Sanchez after benching him. After 3 1/2 years, it finally happened #nyj | http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ez_in_7-6.html

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Analyzing Rex's QB decision: Good morning, Jets fans. It's a great day for a quarterback controversy. Leav... http://es.pn/VoKMBb #nyj

Quotes from various players on the benching of Mark Sanchez.

Brandon Moore: "He's a pretty confident kid, borderline cocky, but you kind of like that in a quarterback. Guys understood that we needed to rally all around him and guys needed to make plays. The huddle got tighter, and that's kind of what happened."

What do you mean the huddle got tighter?

"Guys understood that we had a young guy coming in there, his first play, trying to come in and win a game. The huddle clearly got tighter, guys rallied around him and tried to help him out as best we could."

Jeremy Kerley, when asked if he was surprised by the change: "No." He added: "I wasn't paying attention to it too much."

Stephen Hill: "It definitely energized us a little bit, we had the crowd behind us or whatever. But other than that, it was a coach's decision. I'm here for both quarterbacks. Other than that I don't have much to say about that. Sorry."

Jeff Cumberland, who caught the touchdown pass, on the way the crowd changed: "It can give you some adrenaline, of course the offense wants it to be quiet when we're out on the field, but it can give you some adrenaline."

David Harris: "Yeah, I think everybody was surprised. its the call the head coach made. It energized the stadium and the offense, he led one scoring drive and thats all we needed. We needed one touchdown in a game like this. It was a great defensive battle. Its ugly but well take it."

Matt Slauson: We all love Mark, we want to see him be successful, but I feel the same way about Greg.

Kerry Rhodes, who picked Sanchez off twice: "I told him to keep his head up and he said he knows. He told me to make sure I got his number again."

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Quotes from various players on the benching of Mark Sanchez.
    What I noticed interestingly was that in addition to the expected increase in energy in the stands and on the offense....the defense appeared to also show increased juice with things like finishing sacks and stuffs. They pretty much shut down the Cards and hapless Lindley before but it looked to me that they felt that their efforts might actually be worth something and lead to a win after the change

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
    Eagles announce that defensive line coach Jim Washburn has been "relieved of his duties."

Quote Originally Posted by AbstraKt View Post
    Eagles announce that defensive line coach Jim Washburn has been "relieved of his duties."
    That team's gonna have a giant garage sale, lol.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
    Eagles relieve duties of defensive line coach Jim Washburn. Team hired Tommy Brasher as defensive line coach. On it goes...

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    NFL morning after: Oh, those crazy Jets http://wp.me/p14QSB-6A61

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by AbstraKt View Post
    Everyone but Reid.

You have to feel bad for the guy. I think the owner should just show some mercy. Let him go home and be with his family. He's a good coach but I don't know anybody that could have performed under those circumstances.

Hall Of Fame
    ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    NFL morning after: Oh, those crazy Jets http://wp.me/p14QSB-6A61
    Here is an interesting observation:

On the 53-man rosters of the two teams playing on Sunday, there were six quarterbacks: Sanchez, Tebow and McElroy for the Jets, and Ryan Lindley, Kevin Kolb and John Skelton for the Cardinals. McElroy is the only one of the six who had never started an NFL game before, but hes probably the best quarterback on either team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    What I noticed interestingly was that in addition to the expected increase in energy in the stands and on the offense....the defense appeared to also show increased juice with things like finishing sacks and stuffs. They pretty much shut down the Cards and hapless Lindley before but it looked to me that they felt that their efforts might actually be worth something and lead to a win after the change

+1

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

Football is an emotional game.

I am pretty convinced that the defensive players lost confidence in Sanchez long before yesterday.

It was like someone breathed life into the stadium. The offense has sucked the joy out of the stadium this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Football is an emotional game.

I am pretty convinced that the defensive players lost confidence in Sanchez long before yesterday.

It was like someone breathed life into the stadium. The offense has sucked the joy out of the stadium this year.
    Indeed. The D hasn't been perfect this year, but they sure as **** haven't had any help from the O. They've basically been put in a position where they can't allow a score.

Indeed. The D hasn't been perfect this year, but they sure as **** haven't had any help from the O. They've basically been put in a position where they can't allow a score.
    My guess is the defense will start playing a lot better

I loved that Brandon Moore thinks he cocky. That is absolutely what you want in a QB

In the little time he played he showed more poise in the pocket than Sanchez ever had

Manish Mehta @ManishMehtaNYDN
    ICYMI: Dustin Keller has high ankle sprain, per source. Depending on how fast of a healer he is, it's possible he played last game as a Jet

Mike Greenberg ‏@Espngreeny
    Anyone at the #Jets organization taking bows for yesterday's win? That was as embarrassing an offensive performance as they've ever had...

Mike Greenberg ‏@Espngreeny
    It's hard to feel sorry for anyone who makes 50 million dollars. But, watching his QB play, I feel sorry for Larry Fitzgerald. #Cardinals

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    Greg McElroy said this about fan giving him TD ball back: "Whoever it was, I appreciate it" It was Brian DeVito of NJ: tinyurl.com/cpyb6hl

Greg McElroy makes Jets' fans forget Fireman Ed during 7-6 victory over Arizona Cardinals

Subbing for a benched Mark Sanchez, McElroy rallied Gang Green to a come-from-behind, 7-6 win over the Arizona Cardinals. But it was Jets season-ticket holder Brian DiVito who put a bow on the feel-good story.

A backup quarterback who is not Tim Tebow and a long-suffering Jets fan who is not Fireman Ed gave a MetLife Stadium crowd something to cheer about Sunday.

Subbing for a benched Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy rallied Gang Green to a come-from-behind, 7-6 win over the Arizona Cardinals. But it was Jets season-ticket holder Brian DiVito who put a bow on the feel-good story.

DiVito, 33, of Mountainside, N.J., ended up with the victory ball when Jeff Cumberland spiked it and it bounced into the stands. Instead of hanging onto the prized pigskin, DiVito did McElroy a solid by handing the third-stringer back the trophy from his first NFL touchdown pass. “I figured it was the right thing to do,” DiVito told the Daily News following the game. “It’s probably going to end up on his mantel at home.”

DiVito, whose family has been Jets season-ticket holders for every Super Bowl-less season since 1989, was sitting in section 129 near the Jets end zone when he snagged the lucky bounce.

“Cumberland did his little touchdown dance and spiked it and it just bounced up into my hands. I was right in the front row,” DiVito said.

“McElroy came over after the touchdown and motioned like he wanted the ball and I threw it back to him,” DiVito said.

The selfless gesture got a high-five from Jets officials, who promised to send DiVito an autographed ball and other goodies.

McElroy’s play made Jets fans forget Tebowmania, but DiVito wasn’t about to anoint the second-year player as the savior of the struggling 5-7 team.

“He’s the guy today, but it’s up to Rex,” DiVito said of Jet’s coach Rex Ryan, who turned to McElroy after benching Sanchez because Tebow was nursing broken ribs.

But DiVito said the noticeable reduction in noise at the stadium was due to the absence of “Fireman Ed” Anzalone. “I hope he comes out of retirement,” DiVito said.

Anzalone, 55, known for his leadership of the “J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets!” cheer, announced last week he was hanging up his fire helmet, citing too many confrontations with fans over the quarterback controversy between Sanchez and Tebow.

Jets fan Bob Uveges of Old Bridge, N.J., said Fireman Ed was definitely missed. “You need someone to get the crowd going,” Uveges said. “He’s a good ambassador.”

But when reached following the win, Fireman Ed made it clear he’s not coming out of retirement.

“Hit the road!” Anzalone yelled at a News reporter who knocked on his door in East Rutherford, N.J.

With Edgar Sandoval

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2DzqSoEyl

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Jets are 2.5 point favorites in Jacksonville this week. #NYJ

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Gary Myers: Despite Greg McElroy's success vs Cardinals, Rex Ryan should stick with Mark Sanchez. Column here: http://tinyurl.com/ckvyp9r #nyj

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Greg McElroy's teammates praise him after rallying Jets to 7-6 win over Cardinals. Story: http://tinyurl.com/d4w5q2b #nyj

All Pro
    Of course everyone was juiced when sanchez got benched. Hes awful and sucked the life out of the whole team this year.

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    LG Slauson played 68 of 77 snaps (88%) vs AZ. Ducasse played only 9 snaps. ILB update: Bart Scott played 40 of 54 snaps. D Davis,only 2 #nyj

Pair of young d-linemen had limited playing time vs. Cards. Quinton Coples played 19 of 54 snaps (35%). Kenrick Ellis had only 3 snaps #nyj

Jets RB playing time breakdown: Shonn Greene played 37 of 77 snaps yesterday (48%). Bilal Powell played 33 snaps (43%). #nyj

**I think some of the remaining 7 snaps went to McKnight and Bell (with 1 fumble for TO).
    Last edited by AbstraKt; 12-03-2012 at 08:59 AM.