Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BleacherReport: How Greg McElroy Compares to Tom Brady

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Start McElroy on Sunday against the Jags and lets see what he's got. Don't start Sanchez again. At least not until we have ruled out McEloy which might never happen. Yes I think Sanchez could beat the Jags but he could also struggle again and throw more picks putting the Jets in bad situations. McElroy doesn't throw a lot of picks but he also doesn't have anybody to throw it to and looks like no Keller. Not good for either QB. At This Point I don't care who gives the Jets the best chance to win and it could be McElroy but I want to see McElroy play anyhow.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Marty Lyons Agrees

Greg McElroy like Tom Brady, ex-New York Jet says
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-york-jet-says

The New York Jets have an array of issues to ponder at the quarterback position, but one former Gang Green defender sees hope in backup Greg McElroy.

Ex-Jets defensive lineman Marty Lyons has followed McElroy's career closely and sees a little bit of New England Patriots star Tom Brady in the second-year pro.

"The similarities are there from college," Lyons told the New York Post on Wednesday. "I'm not saying Greg could get to that level, I'm saying there are similarities in college and what they accomplished in college -- there are a lot of crossovers."

The college parallel works. McElroy finished his career at Alabama with a 24-3 record before falling to the Jets in the seventh round of the 2011 draft. Brady was 20-5 at Michigan and famously was passed over until the sixth round of the 2000 draft.

Lyons is talking about potential. McElroy sparked the Jets in Sunday's (enthralling) 7-6 win over the Arizona Cardinals. He does give the Jets something different at the quarterback position because of his mobility and talent as a rollout passer, but we're talking about a guy who popped onto the field for a little relief duty on a flailing offense.

We'll hold for now on the heady comparisons.