Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Number 10 NFL D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    A pat chowd turd arguing about defense

Oh the ironing
    Pats defense is easily better than the Jets defense this year.

Not even close.

Enjoy those great defenses from 2 and 3 years ago.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    When was the last time the Jet Defense under Ryan stopped a potential game winning/tying drive by an opposing team late in the 4th? How many times did they blow a late lead?

How many times has the D dominated an opposing team in the Ryan era?

Not enough to be considered a top 10 Defense by any real standards.

Even when we finished #1, how did we compare to other #1 type defenses in past years ie the 1985 Bears, 1986 Giants, 2000 Ravens etc

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    When was the last time the Jet Defense under Ryan stopped a potential game winning/tying drive by an opposing team late in the 4th? How many times did they blow a late lead?

How many times has the D dominated an opposing team in the Ryan era?

Not enough to be considered a top 10 Defense by any real standards.

Even when we finished #1, how did we compare to other #1 type defenses in past years ie the 1985 Bears, 1986 Giants, 2000 Ravens etc
    The 2009 defense was fantastic. They broke a few records. You will not see defenses like those you listed again because the rules have changed such a ridiculous amount towards the offense. The day they "re-focused" on illegal contact was the beginning of the end for truly elite Ds. Every rule since then has supported the offense. This is exactly why you need an elite QB to win the superbowl these days. I think of the last 15 there are like 13 trophies won by future HOF QBs.

Edit: I find this very sad as I love watching great defenses.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    The 2009 defense was fantastic. They broke a few records. You will not see defenses like those you listed again because the rules have changed such a ridiculous amount towards the offense. The day they "re-focused" on illegal contact was the beginning of the end for truly elite Ds. Every rule since then has supported the offense. This is exactly why you need an elite QB to win the superbowl these days. I think of the last 15 there are like 13 trophies won by future HOF QBs.

Edit: I find this very sad as I love watching great defenses.
    You can thank Ty Law and the cheating Patriots for that.

Your sadness made me laugh. Sorry. It's funny because it's true. We've sucked on offense for far too long now. We haven't had an elite offensive playmaker since... sh!t I can't even think of one. Now I'm sad.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    The defense has been a huge disappointment. I think someone posted that Aldon Smith has more sacks than our entire team? Yeah, some "top-10" defense we've got here.
    I agree Buzz-this is a 5-7 train wreck that has lost home games 34-0, 30-9, 49-19 and we have to sit here and read that we have a top 10 defense.

And you guys wonder why we have trolls like Patsfantx wandering around here. They are here to bring us back to reality I guess.

This team is not a top 10 anything except draft pick order in April.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    I agree Buzz-this is a 5-7 train wreck that has lost home games 34-0, 30-9, 49-19 and we have to sit here and read that we have a top 10 defense.

And you guys wonder why we have trolls like Patsfantx wandering around here. They are here to bring us back to reality I guess.

This team is not a top 10 anything except draft pick order in April.
    I am not a troll.

Just a valuable, objective contributor to a football message board.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The D given it has no real play makers without Revis has done a great job this year. We have a very young DL that is playing very well and some good DB depth. If we had a QB that could drive the ball and not give up 3-4 bad turnovers a game we'd still be a top 5 D. If we pass the Bears and Zona I dont see that as being a sham stat either. Sacks are sexy but you don't need then to have an effective D. All the talk of not getting pressure and the passing D still has top 5 #s. Our rushing D has just been horrid because none of our LBs can catch a RB anymore.

Add an OLB or 2 and this could very well be an elite D the way they are playing. LB talent in general is the biggest weakness right now. Add one guy that can add outside pressure and stuff the run and we are elite again. The backbone is there we just need that trigger man to put it together. It is not like the whole D needs to be blown up. Dump the old guys and improve. The O looks much harder to fix.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's just give them credit for yesterday. Yea they played the worst QB BUT their run defense was great. They didn't give up a million plus yards on the ground.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Total yardage means crap.

Jets defense is ranked #22 in points allowed.

Hardly a top 10 NFL defense.
    Totally wrong about this. The offense and special teams have given up a ton of points this year. Jet's realistically should be top 10 if it was actually points the defense has allowed. How many points went towards this total in the Pats game? You mean to tell me the fumble score, return fumble score, interceptions are on the D? The only real way to judge a D is by the yards they give up.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    The only real way to judge a D is by the yards they give up.
    When was the last time total yards mattered on the scoreboard or in the standings?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I am not a troll.

Just a valuable, objective contributor to a football message board.
    LOL

You are KING Troll

the Troll of all Trolls LOL

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Agreed. The proper yardstick for measuring a D is scoring. I believe the NFL is the only sport where D is evaluated on something other than the amount of points the other team puts on the board. I'll take the #1 scoring D every day of the week. In fact, I think the best D should be ranked based on Points Allowed by the D Minus Points Scored by the D.

BTW, if the Jets #22 ranking includes special team and scores by the opposing D, it's an invalid ranking, IMO.
    I look at sacks and turnovers. The ability to pressure and dictate to the other team. 3rd down conversion percentage also very big.

The Jets don't get sacks, don't get a lot of turnovers, and before yesterday, weren't very tight on 3rd downs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    Totally wrong about this. The offense and special teams have given up a ton of points this year. Jet's realistically should be top 10 if it was actually points the defense has allowed. How many points went towards this total in the Pats game? You mean to tell me the fumble score, return fumble score, interceptions are on the D? The only real way to judge a D is by the yards they give up.
    Not true.

If a team is up by 30, and gives up a ton a garbage passing yards, their D is bad?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Not true.

If a team is up by 30, and gives up a ton a garbage passing yards, their D is bad?
    Exactly, and everything you mentioned in your previous post is also more imortant than yardage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    A pat chowd turd arguing about defense

Oh the ironing

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    and why is that?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I look at sacks and turnovers. The ability to pressure and dictate to the other team. 3rd down conversion percentage also very big.

The Jets don't get sacks, don't get a lot of turnovers, and before yesterday, weren't very tight on 3rd downs.
    I think I may have come up with a good formula to evaluate D's:

points allowed - extra points - points scored by defense - Interceptions - fumbles recovered - sacks - (QB hits/2)

The team with the lowest number would have to be the best defense in the league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    means very little. this defense can beat up on lesser opponents all they want but they are not elite and nowhere near the defenses of SF, Houston, Pittsburgh, etc
    This