Thread: Entertainment

Entertainment

That's what this is from here on out.

Winning out with McElroy starting would be awesome.

Winning out with Tebow or Sanchez starting would be steps backward. Especially Tebow (the mere thought makes me shudder.)

The coaching staff, FO, and owner would then think, based on beating absolutely abominable competition, that Tebow or Sanchez are the answer, setting the necessary rebuild back further. This would be horrid.

McElroy is an absolute unknown. So as a fan, there's the factor that he COULD be good. Or he could be what Rex has always wanted:

Somebody who won't lose him games. Which is very possible, as well.

It's just as possible that he stinks. But with 4 games left it will be entertaining. Some of you can blow me off and say that I am a SOJF, but I'm going to say that for the amount of money we all shell out for seasons, even if we consistently stink, you can do so entertainingly. I mean take Cleveland for example. Arguably the worst roster in the NFL.

But Trent Richardson is entertaining.

I always think back the last few years of Barry Sanders' career. That team stunk every year, but I looked forward to Thanksgiving because, well, BARRY SANDERS!

The same goes here.

At the very least we have the opportunity to yell GO BIG MAC over and over again while at the games or at your television.

So today is a day that I can focus on football rather than idiot GM's, crappy ownership, and stupid coaches. Today Greg McElroy, somebody I know next to nothing about as a pro football player and will have any and all criticism based upon conjecture and "HE STUNK AT BAMA"'s when the truth is I don't care.

See back in the day, during the dark ages of Coslet, Kotite, and Walton, I didn't care much. I expected them to stink. The spirals and tailgating were awesome.

"That kid Nagle could be a stud."

Same thing. Who knew?

Well, here we go. The spirals are gone now, the stadium better, I have club seats so I go to the bar inside and don't tailgate anymore, but now there's something at least MILDLY intriguing here.

Something POSSIBLY entertaining.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    That's what this is from here on out

Winning out with McElroy starting would be awesome.

Winning out with Tebow or Sanchez starting would be steps backward. Especially Tebow (the mere thought makes me shudder.)

The coaching staff, FO, and owner would then think, based on beating absolutely abominable competition, that Tebow or Sanchez are the answer, setting the necessary rebuild back further. This would be horrid.
    If McElroy wins it will be against the same bottom feeder defenses coming up that Sanchez or Tebow might have won with, so how will McElroy tell you or them anything more than Sanchez or Tebow winning? It won't be much of a test and it won't be that telling.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    If McElroy wins it will be against the same bottom feeder defenses coming up that Sanchez or Tebow might have won with, so how will McElroy tell you or them anything more than Sanchez or Tebow winning? It won't be much of a test and it won't be that telling.
    You are right but I think we should also grade it on a curve considering McElroy is a third string QB who has virtually no experience with the starters. He basically runs the scout team and last year he was on IR. This is like his first training camp as starter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You are right but I think we should also grade it on a curve considering McElroy is a third string QB who has virtually no experience with the starters. He basically runs the scout team and last year he was on IR. This is like his first training camp as starter.
    Exactly. Forget playoffs. We're not getting in. And even if by some miracle we did, we're not going far with the lack of talent on offense.

This is an opportunity to see if you have something in McElroy. Bad teams or not, this is starting experience for a young guy. An audition to see if he's worth keeping and possibly starting for the forseeable future.

I'm pretty excited to see what he can do.

All League
    I agree with Paulie Marsico.

I could not agree more.

Hit the nail DIRECTLY on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post

The thing to look at is completion percentage:

Even against the scrubs he will face, if McElroy emerges above 60% he's looking pretty good.

Over 4 years, Mark Sanchez has only done that 19 times in the regular season.

Why is this a point of judgment?

Did you enjoy the game yesterday? Do you think Lindley or Sanchez could win a Super Bowl after watching that game?

Well if you, like me, thought the only thing that game was a true indicator of it's that bad QB play makes games unwatchable.

From a pure entertainment standpoint, without pointing to the obvious correlations between QB's with over 60% completion percentages and winning playoff games/Super Bowls, it makes games more enjoyable when you truly believe it's within the realm of possibility of having your QB complete a key pass.

Sanchez's inability to lead receivers is something McElroy immediately changed as soon as he came into the game. On top of that, as Moore noted, "The Huddle was immediately tighter."