Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Play to lose the game..... ie. Arizona...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    That Arizona QB was a joke yesterday... Arizona is tanking the season.
    How many bettors who took the Jets -3.5 are pissed at Greene today for purposley going down on the 1-yard line?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    How many bettors who took the Jets -3.5 are pissed at Greene today for purposley going down on the 1-yard line?
    They can be pissed, but it was the correct move. Why give the ball back up by 8 when you can kneel down and win by 1?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    They can be pissed, but it was the correct move. Why give the ball back up by 8 when you can kneel down and win by 1?
    Absolutely the correct move in that situation.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    This is debatable.... for every argument about higher draft picks, you can make an argument about losing games creating a negative atmosphere that doesnt just magically go away and reset every season. Winning is good. Losing is bad.
    The way I look at it ... if we're so bad we cannot beat Jacksonville / Tennessee / San Diego / Buffalo, then we have even less talent on our team than I thought. This would take more than a slightly higher draft order to address, so the "long term" that people talk of becomes longer as you have more holes to fill.

All League

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Exactly the same number that would have been pissed if he scored.

The line is designed to do that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Even my adopted Hampur Team can't beat the lowly Jets.
    LOL true SOJ fan.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    This is really a moot point. This years draft is incredibly weak at the top of it. It would be the Jets luck to have a high pick this year.
    Absolutely.

The Cards don't even have to suck that bad to get the second best QB Barkley; they're not going to do worse than KC.

That Arizona QB was a joke yesterday... Arizona is tanking the season.. Colts tanked the season last year... and they came up looking like lottery winnners.. No greater value than in the Draft and selection order... By winning games now, the Jets lose.... If you stink, you might as well really stink....

unfortunately, the jets have any easy remaining schedule..
    The only thing I can't buy about the Cardinals tanking (although as you point out it certainly appeared that way) is what would make Whizenhunt possibly think he'd be around next season if they lose out and finish 4-12. What kind of equity does he imagine he has?

I don't see how we could tank anyway. Our D is good enough to win a couple games the rest of the way regardless of who we put out at QB. Nope, expect another 7-9 or 8-8 type finish and a mid first round pick. Let's just hope Rex doesn't ask for another CB or 3-4 DE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    It must suck going through life with such a loser mentality all the time.
    Speak for yourself......
    Last edited by Vin; 12-03-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Actually, I thought the opposite.

They played better as the season went on. These guys are professionals. If they are smart, they better play hard. I guy who quits on a bad team may find himself out of the league. A guy who continues to play will continue to draw a paycheck.
    playing better as the season went on is accurate... but they always had eye on the prize.... no. 1 pick ....

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    The only thing I can't buy about the Cardinals tanking (although as you point out it certainly appeared that way) is what would make Whizenhunt possibly think he'd be around next season if they lose out and finish 4-12. What kind of equity does he imagine he has?

I don't see how we could tank anyway. Our D is good enough to win a couple games the rest of the way regardless of who we put out at QB. Nope, expect another 7-9 or 8-8 type finish and a mid first round pick. Let's just hope Rex doesn't ask for another CB or 3-4 DE.
    The coach may have support of ownership and GM.... if they don't have the right answer at qb..

we have a weak schedule for sure.. but these games should be played to evaluate talent... play all young guys.... see what you have. maybe we find a player off the bench... Why does Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Lake need to play another down on Defense? Brandon Moore? Sanchez?

let McElroy / Tebow play.... Powell should get a real good look.. bring up some of those young safeties to active roster.

I know what we have in Sanchez...

Loser mentality sticks with players, I want no part of any player that ever played below 100% for the purpose of a ****ing draft pick.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    For the future of the franchise, it is in the best interest for the Jets to lose all remaining games.

For you instant gratificationers, you wan to see wins.

Im a long term guy so I hope we play the young guys, they show improvement, but at the end of the game, we come up short.
    Never really a fan of tanking as I think it poisons the team's culture and gets the players used to losing. But I agree that it is important to see the young guys develop and make improvements. I enjoy wins like we saw on Sunday as guys like Hill, Kerley, Cumberland, Powell and Wilkerson had big contributions and played well...

Zona's coach is likely fired at the end of the year because he lost that game so I highly doubt he threw it on purpose. Wiz is actually trying to win he just doesn't know how. He has some great players and can't do jack on O. This is his MO year in and year out he is just a bad coach.

The coach may have support of ownership and GM.... if they don't have the right answer at qb..

we have a weak schedule for sure.. but these games should be played to evaluate talent... play all young guys.... see what you have. maybe we find a player off the bench... Why does Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Lake need to play another down on Defense? Brandon Moore? Sanchez?

let McElroy / Tebow play.... Powell should get a real good look.. bring up some of those young safeties to active roster.

I know what we have in Sanchez...
    Agree, I'm glad they won and the D played so well, but at this point of the season I want to see the rookies on the field. Coples and Davis hardly played, they are hopefully part of the future. Would also like to see Josh Bush get some snaps at safety. And more snaps for Ducasse on OL.