Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade a 1st Rounder for Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by InRex_WeTrust View Post
    Chargers are imploding and will want a fresh start. I know how bad Rivers has looked lately, but it wasn't so long ago that he nearly won an AFC Championship game on one leg. He is a gamer, and with D'Brick protecting his blindside instead of the revolving door of tackles in San Diego, he can get back to pro-bowl form.

Imagine how much better Keller, Holmes, Kerley, and Hill could be with an accurate QB throwing them the ball. People will say he won't be able to handle the NY spotlight, but I don't buy it. He can thrive here with better protection and Rex shouldering the media assault.

Draft a speed back to compliment Greene, fresh lineman, and fast linebackers. Not a cap guru here, but this Franchise can't go through another rookie qb. Rivers can be a stud. This is the kind of move at QB that the Jets need to make. MCelroy has post-injury Chad arm strength and is not the answer under any circumstance, we've been through that circus before.
    I've been saying this for 2 months now. People are saying that he could not handle the New York media but nobody is able to explain why. There has been not one incident involving Rivers and the media. Is he a dick? Yea. But I don't care about that. What I care about is being a legit contender every year.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    No thanks, his best days are clearly behind him.

Trading away a first round pick for an aging quarterback with two subpar seasons in a row is definitely not a good strategy. This move would be similar to Oakland mortgaging their future for Carson Palmer. Is that really the move you want the Jets to emulate?
    How can you say his best days are CLEARLY behind him? That's one of the dumbest statements I've ever read. I didnt say 2 first round picks like the Raiders traded, and Rivers isn't coming off of devastating injuries like Carson was.

What I don't want the Jets to do is emulate the drafting of Sanchez by taking Barkley, or waiting another 3-4 years on a project like Geno. I also don't want them emulating the Chad circus, since it is already obvious McElroy does not have an NFL quality arm.

McElroy most likely didn't even imagine ever playing a down in the NFL, he already knows his future is in coaching or in the broadcast booth, and has been quoted as saying as such.

Rivers past 2 "declining" seasons would be 10x better than the qb play we've had this year and last. To rule out a change of scenery being super beneficial for his career (He is only 30) is pure ignorance and this is the type of gamble this franchise should take to finally get an established quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I've been saying this for 2 months now. People are saying that he could not handle the New York media but nobody is able to explain why. There has been not one incident involving Rivers and the media. Is he a dick? Yea. But I don't care about that. What I care about is being a legit contender every year.
    and how do you suggest we accommodate the cap hit of dumping Sanchez AND trading for Rivers, unless it's a straight up swap?

Yeah, the Rivers from 2010 was a very good qb,

But his arm is shot and he has a propensity to makes huge bone headed mistakes just like our former qb.

I want no part of him. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    and how do you suggest we accommodate the cap hit of dumping Sanchez AND trading for Rivers, unless it's a straight up swap?
    Sanchez and a 1st. One 1st round pick is a small price to pay for a Franchise quarterback that we would get atleast 3-4 years out of.

All Pro
    How can you say his best days are CLEARLY behind him? That's one of the dumbest statements I've ever read. I didnt say 2 first round picks like the Raiders traded, and Rivers isn't coming off of devastating injuries like Carson was.
    Just compare his past two seasons with his first few seasons as a starter. It's night and day, and elite quarterbacks simply don't go through such dramatic lapses for long periods of time. In my opinion, it's clear that he's already peaked.

They are comparable situations in that both would be trading away high draft picks for former 1st round quarterbacks who haven't done anything special in years.

Sanchez and a 1st. One 1st round pick is a small price to pay for a Franchise quarterback that we would get atleast 3-4 years out of.
    in no way is the money and pick a small price to pay.

i wouldn't do it with the first rounder.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    It always cracks me up when I hear Rex preach ground and pound all the while carrying a starting TE that can't run block.
    The probowl LT can't run block either. It's a flawed plan both ways. We have a Pass catching TE starting,a Pass blocking LT and QB who can't read defenses and a RB who can't catch all starting on a run 1st team.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Just compare his past two seasons with his first few seasons as a starter. It's night and day, and elite quarterbacks simply don't go through such dramatic lapses for long periods of time. In my opinion, it's clear that he's already peaked.

They are comparable situations in that both would be trading away high draft picks for former 1st round quarterbacks who haven't done anything special in years.
    Rivers is much better than Palmer, and has accomplished more in his career. You keep saying pick(s), there is no plural, one first rounder. Look how bad Rivers' line has been the past 2 years, you don't want to factor that into your analysis?

Your proclaiming a 30 year old QB's career as done already because hes had a season and a half of above-average to average play instead of "elite" play. Rivers play the past 2 years with a Rex Ryan defense back in form would easily be a contender.

The Jets arent getting a Brady or Manning, but they could win a Super Bowl with a qb like Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    in no way is the money and pick a small price to pay.

i wouldn't do it with the first rounder.
    Its the most important position in the game.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I would do it...

Rivers is a legit Franchise QB who chokes when it always matters.

I can't imagine SD NOT making the trade in a heartbeat.
    Fixed.
    No thanks on Rivers, unless we trade Sanchez for him straight up.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Rivers as a Jet would push me off the edge into the abyss.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Seriously Rex your essentially one man campaign to pee away a first round pick and a player for this Superstar that Mark Sanchez outplayed and defeated in the postseason in 2010 and at Met Life last season makes me think you may be working for Sidearm Phil's agent or PR firm

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I would do it...

Rivers is a legit Franchise QB going through a bad year.

I can't imagine SD would make that trade though.
    No, he's not. The guy has a terrible delivery that was ignored his entire career that has likely ruined his shoulder. Shot-put throwing motion coupled with a quick release = spent shoulder.

agreed, but i don't think Rivers is worth it.

All Pro
    3rd/4th rounder + sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Seriously Rex your essentially one man campaign to pee away a first round pick and a player for this Superstar that Mark Sanchez outplayed and defeated in the postseason in 2010 and at Met Life last season makes me think you may be working for Sidearm Phil's agent or PR firm

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    We would pee away a first round pick on another project qb. For you to say Sanchez out played Rivers in the playoff game is comical. If you want to say Rex Ryan's number one defense in 2009 outplayed Rivers than fine.

Look the point is, the Jets need a veteran QB if Rex is going to continue to be the coach. You guys think Rivers is shot? Fine, I can agree to disagree, but I think the Jets need to be aggressive with their 1st round pick to get a proven QB, then use the rest of the pics to retool the lbs, o-line, and rbs

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    This is because he never was one, even with Brett.
    The Keller defenders on this board are brutal. Similar to the Kyle Wilson defenders

Rivers is not good

Great arm. Lousy head. Makes too many bad throwing decisions. Also he is very religious. NY media would have a field day ala Tebow.

Chargers are imploding and will want a fresh start. I know how bad Rivers has looked lately, but it wasn't so long ago that he nearly won an AFC Championship game on one leg. He is a gamer, and with D'Brick protecting his blindside instead of the revolving door of tackles in San Diego, he can get back to pro-bowl form.

Imagine how much better Keller, Holmes, Kerley, and Hill could be with an accurate QB throwing them the ball. People will say he won't be able to handle the NY spotlight, but I don't buy it. He can thrive here with better protection and Rex shouldering the media assault.

Draft a speed back to compliment Greene, fresh lineman, and fast linebackers. Not a cap guru here, but this Franchise can't go through another rookie qb. Rivers can be a stud. This is the kind of move at QB that the Jets need to make. MCelroy has post-injury Chad arm strength and is not the answer under any circumstance, we've been through that circus before.
    Bad idea! No more Qb's who's best years are behind them. Keep our draft picks and sign only hold the fort guys as needed. Build for the long term, not one and done which never seems to work.