Thread: Trade a 1st Rounder for Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Catches/Yards/TDs

2008: 48/535/3
    2009: 45/522/2
    2010: 55/687/5
    2011: 65/815/5
    2012: 28/317/2

How is this a weapon? Outside of last season, his best ever, he had less than 1000 yards and only 5 TDs. Not a weapon. Keep in mind he was also targeted 116 times.
    His quarterback was Mark Sanchez. They never allowed Sanchez to throw seam routes or deep crosses to Keller because he isnt accurate enough. Theyve basically used Keller as a check down for Sanchez which explains the low yardage even with the large amount of targets. With a proper QB he can be utilized on longer home run pass plays.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    sg3, I still think we could be friends. Although we are not warring, per se, I extend to you the olive branch of peace and friendship.
    I humbly accept your gracious offer

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by InRex_WeTrust View Post
    His quarterback was Mark Sanchez. They never allowed Sanchez to throw seam routes or deep crosses to Keller because he isnt accurate enough. Theyve basically used Keller as a check down for Sanchez which explains the low yardage even with the large amount of targets. With a proper QB he can be utilized on longer home run pass plays.
    I get that. But his Rookie year with Brett Favre was hardly anything that would designate him a weapon. He disappears for chunks of the season. Last year, with Mark Sanchez, he put up his best numbers.

I'm as disappointed as any that this guy didn't pan out. We traded up into the 1st round to get him. There were high expectations. But in the end he's one dimensional and that dimension isn't worth the money he wants nor putting up with his Houdini act.

I get that. But his Rookie year with Brett Favre was hardly anything that would designate him a weapon. He disappears for chunks of the season. Last year, with Mark Sanchez, he put up his best numbers.

I'm as disappointed as any that this guy didn't pan out. We traded up into the 1st round to get him. There were high expectations. But in the end he's one dimensional and that dimension isn't worth the money he wants nor putting up with his Houdini act.
    I don't believe it would be far-fetched to consider Keller a weapon if he had a QB like Rivers to help elevate his play. I do not consider him at all a bust given the level of QB play he has dealt with.

Jets Insider VIP
    Rivers is light years beyond Cassel. Behind the Jets line he can return to pro-bowl form.
    Light years beyond Cassel...probably

Light years behind being a decent NFL qb again..Definitely...

If you want to bring in old has been, Brett Favre is still out there coaching a HS team, available and IMO better than Phillip Sanchez

I don't believe it would be far-fetched to consider Keller a weapon if he had a QB like Rivers to help elevate his play. I do not consider him at all a bust given the level of QB play he has dealt with.
    Yeah but we have to sign him to a deal this offseason.

Do you think he's gonna get the offer he wants from the Jets? I don't even think he'd sign here if they did make a good offer because he probably wants to play in a real offense.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Light years beyond Cassel...probably

Light years behind being a decent NFL qb again..Definitely...

If you want to bring in old has been, Brett Favre is still out there coaching a HS team, available and IMO better than Phillip Sanchez

Condescending and clueless

worst idea since the Tebow trade? maybe not, but still pretty awful.

Rivers has a huge contract, has never won anything despite having a great supporting cast for many years, his play has been on a steady decline in recent years and he doesn't really strike me as having the character required to succeed in NY.

if we can somehow swap Sanchez for Rivers, i'd consider it. but i wouldn't give up a first-rounder to get it done. trading picks for overrated, overpaid veterans is part of the reason why we're in this mess.

edit -- and i forgot, all this so we can re-sign Keller to a huge deal he never really earned? no thanks.

The Chargers are in for a full rebuild. With our 1st rounder and their own they can have their choice of a new QB to reboot with
    They would be only if they ended up getting rid of Rivers. If this was last years draft, it could be possible but....no.

I humbly accept your gracious offer

No, sir, it is I who is humbled by your magnanimous, if not entirely genteel, offer of acceptance.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

Rivers has a huge contract, has never won anything despite having a great supporting cast for many years, his play has been on a steady decline in recent years and he doesn't really strike me as having the character required to succeed in NY.

if we can somehow swap Sanchez for Rivers, i'd consider it. but i wouldn't give up a first-rounder to get it done. trading picks for overrated, overpaid veterans is part of the reason why we're in this mess.

edit -- and i forgot, all this so we can re-sign Keller to a huge deal he never really earned? no thanks.

Great post

As for Keller....he should probably go out the door at the end of this season too

Great post

As for Keller....he should probably go out the door at the end of this season too

I'll even spring for new hinges and the cab fare.

Rivers sucks now, please stop.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

In what world is Keller getting a huge deal this offseason from the Jets or any other team for that matter? This injury plagued bust of a season for him is going to greatly help the Jets at the negotiating table. TE's do not get huge contracts in this league anymore. Rivers has had terrible offensive lines for the past two years now. For people to write him off already is very premature. The Super Bowl is coming to NY in 2014 and I can promise you the Jets won't be trotting out some fringe 2nd year qb as long as Woody owns the team, if they get rid of Sanchez a vet is coming in.

It always cracks me up when I hear Rex preach ground and pound all the while carrying a starting TE that can't run block.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    It always cracks me up when I hear Rex preach ground and pound all the while carrying a starting TE that can't run block.
    Ridiculous. You can't make this stuff up, SONNY.

All Pro
    No thanks, his best days are clearly behind him.

Trading away a first round pick for an aging quarterback with two subpar seasons in a row is definitely not a good strategy. This move would be similar to Oakland mortgaging their future for Carson Palmer. Is that really the move you want the Jets to emulate?

Banned
    sg3, I still think we could be friends. Although we are not warring, per se, I extend to you the olive branch of peace and friendship.
    Meow.

All Pro
    This is because he never was one, even with Brett.
    He is a one dimensional, pretty good receiving tight end. A big weapon is a Jason Witten, a Vernon Davis or a Rob Gronkowski. Guys who get you over 1000 yards from the TE spot and who are punishing blockers aswell. We have to get away from the one dimensional players, on both sides of the ball actually. We don't need defensive players who are either good against the run or the pass, we can't have RBs who can't catch or pass protect, we can't have tight ends who can only catch. Plain and simple, that stuff is killing your team and the options you have on the field and it is giving the other team a major advantage in terms of strategy, scheme and formations.

Since he is a free agent, he will either come back on a cheap, short deal to prove himself (he was injured and mediocre in his contract year) or he leaves for some team that overpays for him.