Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Contract Dump - Sanchize 4?

All League

Bad Contract Dump - Sanchize 4?

Assuming Sanchize needs a new start in another town, who are there candidates for a bad contract swap with the Jets?

Rivers, Palmer, non QBs

Can't, stuck with him

flynn might be an option, he's making all that $ riding the bench behind wilson and if anybody can fix sanchez it's probably carroll. I don't think philly would want sanchez but they probably want to get rid of vick
    Last edited by cant wait; 12-03-2012 at 09:17 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    Can't, stuck with him
    Other teams have to be stuck with bad contracts they want to dump.

We might be able to get a bag of pretzels.

This isn't baseball.

All League
    Just 1 more season - no point in dealing him.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Dodgers may take him. Kemp could be an edge rusher.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

The saving grace of the Sanchez contract is that it prevents the Jets from foolishly signing another get-rich-quick-scheme quarterback like Favre or Testaverde.

All the money spent on offense will be exactly where it belongs- at WR, RB, TE, and OL and with those new tools perhaps Mark will flourish. If he does, awesome. If he doesn't, we know it wasn't because of the playmakers and out the door he goes in 2014.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The saving grace of the Sanchez contract is that it prevents the Jets from foolishly signing another get-rich-quick-scheme quarterback like Favre or Testaverde.

All the money spent on offense will be exactly where it belongs- at WR, RB, TE, and OL and with those new tools perhaps Mark will flourish. If he does, awesome. If he doesn't, we know it wasn't because of the playmakers and out the door he goes in 2014.

SAR I
    What money?

SAR I
    Good post, notably the first part. I bet if we had the space, we'd be wasting our time trying to sign Michael Vick and then find ourselves with the same problems on offense we've had since Week 15 of last year -- incredibly poor decision making and accuracy from the QB position.

I have always been a supporter of Mark, but that left me after the 49ers game. This next draft is all about replenishing the depth and sore needs on the team -- pass rusher, RB, OL/TE, etc.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What money?
    We are well under the cap, and while our GM sucks at talent evaluation he is one of the best in the league at cap management. It's the one thing we don't have to worry about.

SAR I

All League
    We are well under the cap, and while our GM sucks at talent evaluation he is one of the best in the league at cap management. It's the one thing we don't have to worry about.

SAR I
    I have to disagree about Tanny's cap management skills. Cap management includes paying the right amount for the right positions. Cap allocation by position is critical.

- While Mangold is a beast and a pro bowler, but nobody in the NFL pays their centers anything. The big money on the OL always goes to the tackle. Next, the guards get paid. Finally, the center gets paid like the failed guard they used to be.

Right now: the Jets have no talent at RB, marginal talent at TE, WR, and RT. Had we not overpaid our center, that money could have been used to upgrade those positions.

SAR I
    Cap Management is arguably his worst skill.

Just for the guarantee of sanchez contract alone, he should be held accountable, but the fact that he did not include an offset in it (standard for 85% of all contracts) is that much more and indictment of his "management"

2. Revis is set to become the first truly unrestricted Free Agent in recent NFL history as he is unable to be franchised. That puts us in absolutely bargaining position with our best player.

As for the big picutre of his cap "management" Tanny has simply deferred money to the future to keep us afloat. Whether he was told to do that or was simply trying to win/keep his job we dont know. But deferring salary to future years is not management.

Yes we have high priced veterans coming off the cap this year which is great. But we also have the following STARTING positions to fill:

TE
    RB
    OG (2)
    S
    OLB (2)

That is 7 starting caliber players of which we do not have a single young player to step in other then at RB in powell.

This can be fixed with astute drafting to fill 2-3 holes, hopefully resigning slauson, and having our young DBs (Bush and Allen) hopefully step up as players.

But to say he has done a GOOD job as we sit at 5-7, with a benched QB making $10+ million guaranteed next year is a poor evaluation of his management skills

Banned

Testaverde was not a foolish signing.

When was the last time a Jets QB had a season like Testeverde did in 1998?

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Testaverde was not a foolish signing.

When was the last time a Jets QB had a season like Testeverde did in 1998?
    While he did have a good year and truthfully a good jets career, I think the bigger point is that signing veteran-ish QBs has a very poor historical record.

If QBs are that good, their teams dont let them go....

We have chased/signed Testaverde, neil odonnell, favre, etc over the last 10 + years and none of them worked out. To be successful you need to develop a young QB and we have been unable to do so....

SAR I
    Even with the obvious cuts to create cap room, how do you define "well under"? It's been talked about here ad nauseum but it seems that Tanny's buy now, pay later "management" will finally catch up to him in 2013. Far too little money to fill far too many holes. In 2014 things will loosen up for sure.

SAR I
    I can't believe that you believe Mark can resurrect his career in NY. Jets defense can't protect his horrible 3 & outs and massive amounts of TOs anymore.
    2009/2010 defense masked the problems with this kid.
    Alex Smith is a better player & Harbaugh has him on the bench.
    I'm done with Mark, brass needs to sit him on the bench & hope that he wants to be out bad enough to get his agent to redo his contract so he can move on.
    Dreams can be made in NY but also nightmares & the only thing missing in this drama is the sound of Rod Serlings voice & the Twilight Zone music if this teams trots him out as their starter in 2013.
    Last edited by jetster; 12-04-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Other teams have to be stuck with bad contracts they want to dump.
    This isn't baseball...

And because of that, it's the reason you don't see many player for player trades.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I can't believe that you believe Mark can resurrect his career in NY. Jets defense can't protect his horrible 3 & outs and massive amounts of TOs anymore.
    2009/2010 defense masked the problems with this kid.
    Alex Smith is a better player & Harbaugh has him on the bench.
    I'm done with Mark, brass needs to sit him on the bench & hope that he wants to be out bad enough to get his agent to redo his contract so he can move on.
    Dreams can be made in NY but also nightmares & the only thing missing in this drama is the sound of Rod Serlings voice & the Twilight Zone music if this teams trots him out as their starter in 2013.
    Sanchez has no incentive to rework his contract because he knows his career is over once he leaves here. If the Jets were to start Sanchez the rest of the way and he plays better he MIGHT have an incentive to rework if another team shows interest in him.