Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanchez: Where did the train jump off the tracks?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sanchez: Where did the train jump off the tracks?

I keep thinking about how badly Sanchez regressed in years 3 and 4 and have been pondering the reasons why.

- The detoriation of the Jets o-line and the increasing amount of hits he took.
    - The regression of the running game.
    - The departure of high quality, veteran skill players on offense.
    - Defenses adjusting to him, exploting his weaknesses.
    - Being on a defensively oriented team that might not be able to properly mold a young QB.
    - Changing to a new offensive system under Sparano.
    - The Teebow deal.
    - Other, high-profile distractions the Jets managed to create.
    - Self-inflicted distractions (serial dating trophy women).
    - The intensity of being a pro QB in NYC (all of the above stuffed into a pressure cooker, set on "high").

Please feel free to add to the above list, if I've missed anything.

When taken in sum, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Mark Sanchez regressed.

Most of the above isn't within his control. It's about the environment he's in.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    -Got rid of Cotchery and didn't re-sign Braylon.
    -Tried to replace with aging Mason and Plax.
    Fail.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Switched to a gluten-free diet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    he hasn't looked the same since the ravens game last season IMO. it seems like he's afraid of getting out of the pocket and trying to extend plays with his feet as well

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Birth

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember when he would feel the pressure, and back peddle his way out of trouble?

Where has that guy gone?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    he hasn't looked the same since the ravens game last season IMO. it seems like he's afraid of getting out of the pocket and trying to extend plays with his feet as well
    He did become incredibly reluctant to run with the ball. Hard to figure out if that's him, or the scheme.

He's a fumble machine whether he's in the pocket or scrambling, so I'm not sure it matters in that regard. But he did make plays with his feet in years 1 and 2, and that gave the Jets an extra dimension on offense that probably won a few games for them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    -Got rid of Cotchery and didn't re-sign Braylon.
    -Tried to replace with aging Mason and Plax.
    Fail.
    Exactly right, was just going to post this.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot some pretty major ones:

- No dump-off scatback a-la Washington/Tomlinson as an emergency outlet.

- Revolving door of receiving targets with no time to bond with any of them.

- Offensive line that can't stop a rush straight over center.

- Handicapped by the worst offensive coordinators in the NFL.

The first point is the most damning, to me. How Tannenbaum could go into this season with such poor skill players and such a questionable OL and not give his QB at least someone out of the backfield as a consistent dump-off threat is astounding.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Remember when he would feel the pressure, and back peddle his way out of trouble?

Where has that guy gone?
    Yep. He was pretty elusive the first couple of years. Now he's a tackling dummy back there.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    We don't need to be in the business of making excuses for the guy anymore. He was never good. Perhaps he regressed a bit from being below average, but a few big drives and wins made us think he had potential when were expecting nothing from the team. A number 1 ranked defense and running game masked his poor accuracy and situational awareness issues for his first two seasons.

Some guys have "it" and some guys don't. Sanchez doesn't have it, we thought he did, but he never did and never will. Good QBs make the players around them better. Do you think Jordy Nelson, Lance Moore, TY Hilton or Antonio Brown make Sanchez that much better? Whatever happened to Mario Manningham? He is worthless now that he doesn't have a good QB throwing to him.

I will be unbelievably disappointed if Sanchez starts another game for this team. Now that the door has opened for his exit, he needs to be pushed out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe he is wearing a Knock Off Jersey and it is effecting his play!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    One word.

COACHING

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Go look at his stats from the first two years. He sucked then and he sucks now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrochwa View Post
    We don't need to be in the business of making excuses for the guy anymore. He was never good. Perhaps he regressed a bit from being below average, but a few big drives and wins made us think he had potential when were expecting nothing from the team. A number 1 ranked defense and running game masked his poor accuracy and situational awareness issues for his first two seasons.

I will be unbelievably disappointed if Sanchez starts another game for this team. Now that the door has opened for his exit, he needs to be pushed out.
    The price the Jets paid for beefing up the #1 Defense and #1 Rushing Attack in the NFL was that they ignored the passing game.

This isn't rocket science. It's high finances. Where will you invest your money. All teams operate within the same financial constraints. The Giants have a great front seven and a powerful passing game, no money left to shore up a terrible secondary. Same for the Patriots. Go team by team, you'll see the glaring weaknesses where money was simply not spent.

Our team is imbalanced. The investment on defense is over-the-top, the investment on offense paltry. Joe Montana couldn't succeed in this offense.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Forgot some pretty major ones:

- No dump-off scatback a-la Washington/Tomlinson as an emergency outlet.

- Revolving door of receiving targets with no time to bond with any of them.

- Offensive line that can't stop a rush straight over center.
    I think I covered all of those in more general terms.

- Handicapped by the worst offensive coordinators in the NFL.
    Highly subjective. Considering the Jets (and Sanchez) had some offensive success under Schotty, I can't really condemn the guy as one of "the worst offensive coordinators in the NFL." Sparano...I don't have enough time watching his play calling to judge him as that.

The first point is the most damning, to me. How Tannenbaum could go into this season with such poor skill players and such a questionable OL and not give his QB at least someone out of the backfield as a consistent dump-off threat is astounding.
    Agreed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't draft QB high and then not have a verifiable offensive mind to mentor him...Schottenheimer, Cavanaugh and now Sparano are NOT guys that are known as developers of QBs..and with Rex as HC? Sanchez never had a chance here.

We should have figured that out when Rex sprang his 'red,yellow and green' system on Sanchez during the first or second season. They wanted him to be a QB some weeks, and a game manager next. Rex and his boys MIGHT have been OK for a QB with an impressive college resume with a lot of game experience but that was NOT Sanchez..he needed a mentor or a tutor, and we didn't give one.

JMO

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at Sanchez's stats. It's scary EXACTLY how similar they are each year. He's never been good, and now he has worse skill position players, so he looks even worse. I think you'd be hard pressed to identify one area where he has clearly improved since his rookie year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    I keep thinking about how badly Sanchez regressed in years 3 and 4 and have been pondering the reasons why.

- The detoriation of the Jets o-line and the increasing amount of hits he took.
    - The regression of the running game.
    - The departure of high quality, veteran skill players on offense.
    - Defenses adjusting to him, exploting his weaknesses.
    - Being on a defensively oriented team that might not be able to properly mold a young QB.
    - Changing to a new offensive system under Sparano.
    - The Teebow deal.
    - Other, high-profile distractions the Jets managed to create.
    - Self-inflicted distractions (serial dating trophy women).
    - The intensity of being a pro QB in NYC (all of the above stuffed into a pressure cooker, set on "high").

Please feel free to add to the above list, if I've missed anything.

When taken in sum, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Mark Sanchez regressed.

Most of the above isn't within his control. It's about the environment he's in.
    You would think the 5th pick in the draft had the ability to lift the talent around him.

While agree the talent around Sanchez is not as good as his first two years, its no excuse to be a turnover machine. Even if the offense was poor, if he didn't turn the ball over so much, this team would have more wins.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81 View Post
    You don't draft QB high and then not have a verifiable offensive mind to mentor him...Schottenheimer, Cavanaugh and now Sparano are NOT guys that are known as developers of QBs..and with Rex as HC? Sanchez never had a chance here.

We should have figured that out when Rex sprang his 'red,yellow and green' system on Sanchez during the first or second season. They wanted him to be a QB some weeks, and a game manager next. Rex and his boys MIGHT have been OK for a QB with an impressive college resume with a lot of game experience but that was NOT Sanchez..he needed a mentor or a tutor, and we didn't give one.

JMO
    THIS