Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanchez: Where did the train jump off the tracks?

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    The kid could never play. He's another Joey Harrington.
    Sorry, but no:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...layer=HarrJo00

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    That guy would have been Josh Freeman.

As you state, we traded up for Sanchez. Had to. There were no good prospects in free agency, Favre wasn't returning, Pennington had left.

It sounded good on paper- rookie HC and rookie QB growing up together. Problem is, Tannenbaum indulged Rex's defense with all the support in the world and he ignored Sanchez.

SAR I
    I agree. The offense on this team is virtually ignored...we couldve kept the pick for Tebow and signed Braylon.....I feel so bad for Sanchez....this organization pretty much set him up to fail from the beginning....they have done everything in there power to make life hell for this kid...its quite clear that the D is top priority and its is still a joke...our highest paid player is a cornerback...what does that tell you?....the only thing we can do now is trade Revis or Cromartie for more picks and draft some skill position players on O......

Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    4th quarter comebacks?

Come on.

I think it might have to do with the way he was developed. He developed tunnel vision, he developed a deer in headlights like detachment to his errors, he developed a habit of throwing the ball right to a defender.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    4th quarter comebacks?

Come on.
    Yeah, look at the scrubs who dominate this meaningless stat:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...cks_career.htm

(last time I checked, winning games is the single most important statistic in football)

There was never anything Sanchez was doing there that was elite, Im sorry. The Houston secondary was historically bad in 2010. The Lions pass defense is always awful. Holmes made the play against the Browns.

The made for TV moments always get overrated in the scheme of things. Sanchez still sucked back then too...a few things broke his way in dramatic fashion which skewed peoples views of him.

The kid could never play. He's another Joey Harrington.
    So you heard Brian Billick say that too during the game huh?

I wouldn't go that far. He's won playoff games....hes made clutch throws.....the organization never helped him....

He did become incredibly reluctant to run with the ball. Hard to figure out if that's him, or the scheme.

He's a fumble machine whether he's in the pocket or scrambling, so I'm not sure it matters in that regard. But he did make plays with his feet in years 1 and 2, and that gave the Jets an extra dimension on offense that probably won a few games for them.
    one thing that really stood out to me about mcelroy on sunday, is how many he was rolling out and moving the pocket. exactly the kind of plays that sanchez should be doing
    Last edited by cant wait; 12-03-2012 at 11:24 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by McElroy's_Boy View Post
    I think it might have to do with the way he was developed. He developed tunnel vision, he developed a deer in headlights like detachment to his errors, he developed a habit of throwing the ball right to a defender.
    The first part is correct, but it's not tunnel vision, it's indecision. His first 2 years he was making lousy decisions, but coming up big in the clutch, and when he improvised. People around here really just like to hear themselves talk as you can see. His first two years were very promising. Shotty taught him to ignore his instincts, and second guess himself. The same way he calls a game. Now he's making the right reads, but always hesitates, at best. Most of the time he actually double or triple clutches. By the time he throws the ball it's too late. He also seems to be terrible at reading the line adjustments. I don't have enough information as to why that is, but it's not good. Anyway there's no comparison between his first two years and his last two, except for the numbers. Bring up Aaron Rodgers who was terrible at first, as was Eli. They stuck with them, without trying to coach the playmaker out of them, and you see what you get. Sanchez was similar to them. Playing with confidence, but raw, and reckless, and now he's a basket case out there afraid to make a mistake. Only someone ignorant of how the game is played would say he was terrible, and didn't have "it", and never will. He used to have "it", but not the experience. Now he has the experience, but Shotty coached the "it" factor right out of him. He's more Carr than Harrington. Doubtful he'll ever get "it" back, but if he does, it will be a year or two, and in a different location I'm afraid.

I really hope Sanchez goes to a team that helps him out...the guy definitely needs a change of scenery.....he had alot of things working against him the past 2 years....lack of support......lack of coaching......ridicule from the media and fans...Tebow...he never had a chance. Like I said in previous threads the New York Jets will never ever have a homegrown franchise QB...the organization has no clue how to develop one...combined that with the rabid media and a fan base that cannot go through a developmental growth period and you have a organization that operates like shampoo..wash, rinse and repeat.....It wont be long until we are as bad as the Cleveland Browns. Oh by the way, they are the only team that has more head coaches changes then the Jets...only by one.

All Pro
    I agree with the sentiment that Sanchez was never all that good.

The organization has not done a good job of putting talent around him, but at the end of the day, Sanchez simply falls short in the mental department, which is the main issue holding him back.

From the rookie season color code system to the perpetual ball security issues, it's been proven time and time again that the NFL game is simply too fast and complicated for him. His entire career has been mired in inconsistency because he's inaccurate, he doesn't see the field well, and his general awareness is very poor.

Sanchez peaked too early, and he never came close to hitting his ceiling.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    I really hope Sanchez goes to a team that helps him out...the guy definitely needs a change of scenery.....he had alot of things working against him the past 2 years....lack of support......lack of coaching......ridicule from the media and fans...Tebow...he never had a chance. Like I said in previous threads the New York Jets will never ever have a homegrown franchise QB...the organization has no clue how to develop one...combined that with the rabid media and a fan base that cannot go through a developmental growth period and you have a organization that operates like shampoo..wash, rinse and repeat.....It wont be long until we are as bad as the Cleveland Browns. Oh by the way, they are the only team that has more head coaches changes then the Jets...only by one.
    Sanchez will be joining the USC clipboard holding brigade where he belongs. Everything Brian Billick said about him during the last game is correct. Was a game manager at best and now he can't even do that anymore.

Good riddance !!

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Good post man

All Pro
    The made for TV moments always get overrated in the scheme of things. Sanchez still sucked back then too...a few things broke his way in dramatic fashion which skewed peoples views of him.
    Amazingly, the Jets currently have two quarterbacks on the roster with this same exact dynamic.

From a purely non-skill perspective, he doesn't look like he's having fun anymore. This town sucked the life out of him.

The guy that told Schotty he sucks on Hard Knocks, the guy who was pumping the ball in excitement after their first W in Houston in 2009, the guy jumping up and down running into the endzone when he threw the go-ahead TD to Keller in the Chargers playoff game. Haven't seen that dude in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    From a purely non-skill perspective, he doesn't look like he's having fun anymore. This town sucked the life out of him.

The guy that told Schotty he sucks on Hard Knocks, the guy who was pumping the ball in excitement after their first W in Houston in 2009, the guy jumping up and down running into the endzone when he threw the go-ahead TD to Keller in the Chargers playoff game. Haven't seen that dude in a while.
    It's not the town that sucked the life out of him. It's his GM and his head coach.

They took away every decent WR he had a chance to bond with, left him with troublemaker Holmes and a cast of nobodies. They let the OL go to hell by cutting two vets, turnstile Hunter gave him a real pounding. They never replaced Washington or Tomlinson, two scatbacks who could turn an emergency swing dump-off into a first down. They waited too long to pull the plug on the offensive coordinator, never replaced the QB coach, and gave him Tony Sparano. They built the offense to dominate on the ground and neglected to get a good running back, forcing us to throw 40-50 times a game routinely to a second-rate group of receivers that don't belong on an NFL gridiron.

If you drew up a strategy to deliberately f-ck up your first round franchise quarterback after watching him go 4-2 in the playoffs, you couldn't have executed it any better if you tried.

I, for one, want to see Sanchez another season for two simple reasons. First, we're not going anywhere next season anyway, second, with some playmakers addressing the offensive deficiencies perhaps he improves and turns out to be a good quarterback.

SAR I

I keep thinking about how badly Sanchez regressed in years 3 and 4 and have been pondering the reasons why.

- The detoriation of the Jets o-line and the increasing amount of hits he took.
    - The regression of the running game.
    - The departure of high quality, veteran skill players on offense.
    - Defenses adjusting to him, exploting his weaknesses.
    - Being on a defensively oriented team that might not be able to properly mold a young QB.
    - Changing to a new offensive system under Sparano.
    - The Teebow deal.
    - Other, high-profile distractions the Jets managed to create.
    - Self-inflicted distractions (serial dating trophy women).
    - The intensity of being a pro QB in NYC (all of the above stuffed into a pressure cooker, set on "high").

Please feel free to add to the above list, if I've missed anything.

When taken in sum, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Mark Sanchez regressed.

Most of the above isn't within his control. It's about the environment he's in.
    This is hysterical to me. I must be nostradamus because I was one of the few people on this board extremely critical of Sanchez poor play his first 2 years. It was my firm belief that Sanchez held a GREAT team back to wildcard spots and losses in the AFC championship game. If the jets had a top 10 QB in those 2 years there is no doubt in my mind they win 2 superbowls. Sanchez absolutely sucked horrid monkey **** They had to dumb down the plays and play an extremely simple run run run philosophy to avoid the stench coming from the QB.

All League
    perhaps he improves and turns out to be a good quarterback.
    Not gonna happen. Weak-minded & doesn't have the heart of a champion. His mental state is... Fra-gee-lee.

Done as a starter ANYWHERE. Career backup the rest of the way (except he starts for the Jets next year because of the ridiculous contract).

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    This is hysterical to me. I must be nostradamus because I was one of the few people on this board extremely critical of Sanchez poor play his first 2 years. It was my firm belief that Sanchez held a GREAT team back to wildcard spots and losses in the AFC championship game. If the jets had a top 10 QB in those 2 years there is no doubt in my mind they win 2 superbowls. Sanchez absolutely sucked horrid monkey **** They had to dumb down the plays and play an extremely simple run run run philosophy to avoid the stench coming from the QB.
    At this point, I'd be all for the red, yellow, green system if the Jets put that moron back in. Only thing that idiot seems to understand. A 4th year QB that needs hand holding and a dumbed down system
    Last edited by JetBidi; 12-04-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Mark Sanchez was terrific in the 4 playoff wins, was the best Jet on the field in the 2 losses. In his worst playoff game, he led a last minute drive to vanquish Peyton Manning out of Indianapolis.

The reason for the two AFCCG losses is that Rex Ryan's supposedly stellar defense failed to show up and gave up 41 unanswered points in back-to-back halves of both of those games.

Do not forget that the Jets go 7-9 in 2009 if not for the Colts laying down and the Jets go 7-9 again in 2010 if not for Mark Sanchez bailing out the pathetic defense in 4 games with miracle 2:00 drills.

This team was built to win on defense and the running game. They suck at both. The quarterback is the least of our concerns. Replacing him is not our ticket to Lombardi.

SAR I

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    he hasn't looked the same since the ravens game last season IMO. it seems like he's afraid of getting out of the pocket and trying to extend plays with his feet as well
    This is it. You are absolutely right. And the stats back it up.

The week before he almost won a game in Oakland (the D fell apart). Imagine that... Sanchez was an asset, not the problem.

Then came the Ravens. He was never the same again. Great observation.

If you drew up a strategy to deliberately f-ck up your first round franchise quarterback after watching him go 4-2 in the playoffs, you couldn't have executed it any better if you tried.

SAR I
    Right there you just used a term to promote your point... it's obviously not true but it certainly sounds good when you throw it into a sentence to make a point, hoping no one will really pay attention because it sounds persuasive.

You have a pro-Sanchez and anti-Rex Agenda and yesterday it just blew up in your face.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 12-04-2012 at 12:31 AM.