Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Sanchez: Where did the train jump off the tracks?

Schluberator & Gadfly ģ
    It looks like to me that every time he fades back now, he's running scared. The first couple of years that only happened against the Ravens defense, now it's ANY defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    it was a 15-10 game in the 3rd quarter. That game could have been won even with Peyton staying in the game.
    Except that same Indy team dissected the Jets in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    -Got rid of Cotchery and didn't re-sign Braylon.
    -Tried to replace with aging Mason and Plax.
    Fail.
    Got rid of LT a supreme blocker and dump off back. Got rid of Damien Woody. Got rid of Tony Richardson one of the best blocking fullbacks ever.

Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    He did become incredibly reluctant to run with the ball. Hard to figure out if that's him, or the scheme.

He's a fumble machine whether he's in the pocket or scrambling, so I'm not sure it matters in that regard. But he did make plays with his feet in years 1 and 2, and that gave the Jets an extra dimension on offense that probably won a few games for them.
    I remember him having great pocket presence in the day, but back then he only had to avoid one blocker, now it's like a jail break.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Forgot some pretty major ones:

- No dump-off scatback a-la Washington/Tomlinson as an emergency outlet.

- Revolving door of receiving targets with no time to bond with any of them.

- Offensive line that can't stop a rush straight over center.

- Handicapped by the worst offensive coordinators in the NFL.

The first point is the most damning, to me. How Tannenbaum could go into this season with such poor skill players and such a questionable OL and not give his QB at least someone out of the backfield as a consistent dump-off threat is astounding.

SAR I
    Forgot in my previous post, no blocking tight end to help the RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Got rid of LT a supreme blocker and dump off back. Got rid of Damien Woody. Got rid of Tony Richardson one of the best blocking fullbacks ever.
    LT had less than a full season left in 2010. He was beat by the end of the year in '10.

Just like Jones in '09.

This is why unless you are like the Texans with 2 potential Pro Bowl RB's, you can run the ball 25+ times a game and win unless you have a freak like Ray Rice or Frank Gore.

The RB's get their ass kicked, wear down, and if your passing game blows, you have no prayer outside of how good your backup RB and O-line are.

The entire regime has botched soooooooo much since they took over............

The price the Jets paid for beefing up the #1 Defense and #1 Rushing Attack in the NFL was that they ignored the passing game.

This isn't rocket science. It's high finances. Where will you invest your money. All teams operate within the same financial constraints. The Giants have a great front seven and a powerful passing game, no money left to shore up a terrible secondary. Same for the Patriots. Go team by team, you'll see the glaring weaknesses where money was simply not spent.

Our team is imbalanced. The investment on defense is over-the-top, the investment on offense paltry. Joe Montana couldn't succeed in this offense.

SAR I
    I don't always agree with your posts, but on this front you're right on. If we don't rebuild this offense we're just wasting our money/picks bringing in a new QB.

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    I agree. The offense on this team is virtually ignored...we couldve kept the pick for Tebow and signed Braylon.....I feel so bad for Sanchez....this organization pretty much set him up to fail from the beginning....they have done everything in there power to make life hell for this kid...its quite clear that the D is top priority and its is still a joke...our highest paid player is a cornerback...what does that tell you?....the only thing we can do now is trade Revis or Cromartie for more picks and draft some skill position players on O......
    Agreed with you till the point about trading Revis and Cromartie. We need to retain those guys. A great defensive backfield is essential. We need to keep all our picks and maybe pick up some additional ones and plug the holes on offense. RT, RB, WR, FB, Blocking tight end. Also OLB and Free Safety on D.

I could see Harris going, but not our DBs.

He's the toughest quarterback the Jets have ever had. Impervious to injury. Solid as a rock. Brave, considering how lousy the OL has played for half his career.

"Weak minded"? "Heart of a champion"? Why? Because you don't like his postgame press conferences where he's told to say nothing just like his head coach and GM?

Mark Sanchez' turnovers happen for a simple reason that everyone likes to overlook- he's trying to make a play while running for his life. And when you don't have playmaking receivers and you instead have a porous offensive line, it's all over anyway.

Mark Sanchez is a symptom, not the problem.

SAR I
    I guess most of the folks would be happier if he just ate the ball, and went to the ground every time, rather than trying to make a play.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    THIS.

His decision-making seems to have deteriorated to the point of panic mode.
    I'd be panicing too, if I had the protection that he has. Some of the shots that he's taken the last two years have been epic. It hurts just to watch. No wonder he's gun shy.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Good post.
    I disagree though.....i think Kerley, Hill, are a very good start at the WR corps. Actually, I think Kerley is a VERY good player, underutilized.

Santonio Holmes is being paid to be that #1 threat, and hes just not. Not blaming him, but the contract he has locked up really prohibits the team from going out and signing a legitimate #1 target.

Holmes is taking the $$$ to be the #1 WR, and hes just not that guy. Nevr has been.
    As much as trading away our picks has hurt our depth, the signing of Santonio Holmes was equally as bad. $25M in guaranteed money, we could have had 5 solid Free Agent contributors for $5M a piece instead. We could have plugged a lot of hole for that kind of money.

he hasn't been the same since the Ravens game last season.

i think Sanchez needs a break -- from having a cultural phenomenon as his backup, from the vitriol he draws from fans and media, from the pressure of trying to live up to the "easy" success of his first two seasons with an ever-diminishing supporting cast. he's obviously not capable of doing his job at the moment and needs to step aside. next man up.

i hope he's benched for the rest of the year, unless of course Tebow/McElroy are such epic disasters that there is no choice but to play Sanchez (doubtful). i think he will benefit from a little time away from the field, to refresh his mind, let his body heal and just focus on the big picture.

unless something extraordinary happens, Sanchez is coming back next year. the sooner people get used to that idea, the better. therefore, we have no choice but to hope that he will bounce back from all of this and that he can resume the upward trend he was following earlier in his career.

that doesn't mean he should just be handed the job next year, not at all. he'll have to fight for it and he'll have to earn it, and the team will have to live with having a very expensive backup if he loses. have an open competition between Sanchez, McElroy and a veteran FA QB with starting experience -- may the best man win. just don't be surprised if #6 is our opening day starter in 2013.

He's the toughest quarterback the Jets have ever had. Impervious to injury. Solid as a rock. Brave, considering how lousy the OL has played for half his career.

"Weak minded"? "Heart of a champion"? Why? Because you don't like his postgame press conferences where he's told to say nothing just like his head coach and GM?

Mark Sanchez' turnovers happen for a simple reason that everyone likes to overlook- he's trying to make a play while running for his life. And when you don't have playmaking receivers and you instead have a porous offensive line, it's all over anyway.

Mark Sanchez is a symptom, not the problem.

SAR I
    Agreed Sar, heís trying to make plays. Thatís what QBís do. Thereís no doubt that Sanchez is not a quitter.
    But how many interceptions has he thrown right into coverage this year? Better yet, how many interceptions has he thrown right into coverage just in the last game? Thereís obviously something technically wrong with his game.

You ask me, it was the lack of an experienced Offensive coordinator and a more seasoned QB coach that caused Sanchezís decline.
    This was Tannyís fault for he bought into Rexís ground and pound, defence first philosophy. Tanny should have made Sanchezís development his #1 priority, but he didnít.

Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    I keep thinking about how badly Sanchez regressed in years 3 and 4 and have been pondering the reasons why.

- The detoriation of the Jets o-line and the increasing amount of hits he took.
    - The regression of the running game.
    - The departure of high quality, veteran skill players on offense.
    - Defenses adjusting to him, exploting his weaknesses.
    - Being on a defensively oriented team that might not be able to properly mold a young QB.
    - Changing to a new offensive system under Sparano.
    - The Teebow deal.
    - Other, high-profile distractions the Jets managed to create.
    - Self-inflicted distractions (serial dating trophy women).
    - The intensity of being a pro QB in NYC (all of the above stuffed into a pressure cooker, set on "high").

Please feel free to add to the above list, if I've missed anything.

When taken in sum, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Mark Sanchez regressed.

Most of the above isn't within his control. It's about the environment he's in.
    I'm not certain he ever was on track. He always made some good plays but they were always sandwiched in between periods of awful decisions with the football.

People always want to blame the CS for not giving Sanchez as good of weapons as he had when he started in the league. I don't believe it is correct to blame the CS.

All they did was give Sanchez every weapon under the sun in order to aid him in his development. If Sanchez never caught on by the time they inevidably had to take away some of those weapons, then that falls on Sanchez. QB's are expected to start to do things with less when they enter their 3rd and 4th seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    Except that same Indy team dissected the Jets in the playoffs.
    I was there and Jets were not dissected, they had a 17-6 lead until Greene went out with an injury and Sanchez went 12 of 23 with an INT in 2nd half

Mark is that same boom or bust QB, never seems to learn or grow, agree that riding the pine could help him in the long run

also surprised that after 7 pages, there is no love for Mark Allen Brunell as QB coach, I think Mark can still help Mark

help Mark again (next year)
    Last edited by Ohio State NY Jets fan; 12-04-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

i think Sanchez needs a break -- from having a cultural phenomenon as his backup, from the vitriol he draws from fans and media, from the pressure of trying to live up to the "easy" success of his first two seasons with an ever-diminishing supporting cast. he's obviously not capable of doing his job at the moment and needs to step aside. next man up.

i hope he's benched for the rest of the year, unless of course Tebow/McElroy are such epic disasters that there is no choice but to play Sanchez (doubtful). i think he will benefit from a little time away from the field, to refresh his mind, let his body heal and just focus on the big picture.

unless something extraordinary happens, Sanchez is coming back next year. the sooner people get used to that idea, the better. therefore, we have no choice but to hope that he will bounce back from all of this and that he can resume the upward trend he was following earlier in his career.

that doesn't mean he should just be handed the job next year, not at all. he'll have to fight for it and he'll have to earn it, and the team will have to live with having a very expensive backup if he loses. have an open competition between Sanchez, McElroy and a veteran FA QB with starting experience -- may the best man win. just don't be surprised if #6 is our opening day starter in 2013.
    Such a good post... Sanchez has been ruined in NY. It would take a giant sac for him to be successful this season however who knows what his future holds.

It's really a shame how hard it is to be a player on this team you are held to a standard not necessary on any other NFL team by the fans and that goes for multiple past near misses.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Such a good post... Sanchez has been ruined in NY. It would take a giant sac for him to be successful this season however who knows what his future holds.

It's really a shame how hard it is to be a player on this team you are held to a standard not necessary on any other NFL team by the fans and that goes for multiple past near misses.
    +1

Sums it up nicely. Let him sit out the rest of this meaningless year, see what McElroy and Tebow have got, he comes into 2013 with some new weapons, let's have a good competition in Cortland.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    I was there and Jets were not dissected, they had a 17-6 lead until Greene went out with an injury and Sanchez went 12 of 23 with an INT in 2nd half

Mark is that same boom or bust QB, never seems to learn or grow, agree that riding the pine could help him in the long run

also surprised that after 7 pages, there is no love for Mark Allen Brunell as QB coach, I think Mark can still help Mark help Mark again (next year)

I was there too and it was our secondary that couldn't stop Peyton Manning our our front 7 that couldn't stop Peyton Manning that ended us that day.

Mark had just about the best first half a rookie QB in his first playoff game could have, hitting Braylon, hitting Dustin. The defense didn't rise to the same level.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    I guess most of the folks would be happier if he just ate the ball, and went to the ground every time, rather than trying to make a play.
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    Agreed Sar, heís trying to make plays. Thatís what QBís do. Thereís no doubt that Sanchez is not a quitter.
    But how many interceptions has he thrown right into coverage this year? Better yet, how many interceptions has he thrown right into coverage just in the last game? Thereís obviously something technically wrong with his game.

You ask me, it was the lack of an experienced Offensive coordinator and a more seasoned QB coach that caused Sanchezís decline.
    This was Tannyís fault for he bought into Rexís ground and pound, defence first philosophy. Tanny should have made Sanchezís development his #1 priority, but he didnít.
    There's no question that Mark is guilty of trying too hard. He's not guilty of being lazy or caring too little.

In games where we lose, our feature RB gains less than 50 yards and our D gives up 31 points. If you're the QB of that type of team, you have no choice but to run the plays that are called and make the best out of the constant 3rd and 9's you face. Like every other NFL quarterback, Mark touches the ball 100 times a game and makes 2 mistakes. Mark's mistakes get amplified because we are such a fragile team that we can't survive them.

SAR I

There's no question that Mark is guilty of trying too hard. He's not guilty of being lazy or caring too little.

In games where we lose, our feature RB gains less than 50 yards and our D gives up 31 points. If you're the QB of that type of team, you have no choice but to run the plays that are called and make the best out of the constant 3rd and 9's you face. Like every other NFL quarterback, Mark touches the ball 100 times a game and makes 2 mistakes. Mark's mistakes get amplified because we are such a fragile team that we can't survive them.

SAR I
    True, Sanchez was brought in to manage the offence because of Rex's run first, control the clock, philosophy.
    So long as Sanchez played conservatively, the Jets would usually be in a position to win each and every game thanks to a stout defense.
    Instead, Sanchez is now the main reason why they loose. His un-forced errors this year have become magnified because of the lack of talent around him.
    The NFL is a league made up of defensive minds that are always quick to adjust. And adjust they have. The running game has sputterred because defenses are daring Sanchez to beat them with his arm.

hereís a good article that puts his season in better perspective.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/ryansanchez.html