Thread: QB no one is talking about: T.J. Yates

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

QB no one is talking about: T.J. Yates

A lot of names are thrown around here but I always miss the one guy who to me makes the most sense. Vick and Rivers are damaged goods and quite frankly after the Tebow desaster nobody wants to have such a circus coming to town again. Matt Moore would just be a stop gap and Matt Flynn couldn't even beat out a rookie in Seattle. Plus his NFL numbers were only produced in meaningless end of the season games.

To me out of the backups and maybe, just maybe available QBs in the NFL the best option for the Jets would be:

T.J. Yates

He filled in for Matt Schaub last year and did a very good job. He won the game to clinch their playoff spot and then won the first postseason game in the team's history. He is a big, strong quarterback who comes with all the physical traits you are looking for and he clearly has a nice track record so far in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would take a lot for Houston to trade a young promising backup with likely 3 years left under contract. Schaub has proven susceptible to injury and isn't young anymore.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I think it would take a lot for Houston to trade a young promising backup with likely 3 years left under contract. Schaub has proven susceptible to injury and isn't young anymore.
    Unfortunately that seems to be the case...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Think they'd want Sanchez as a backup? Sure it would cost a bit more but if Schaub is as injury prone as you suggest, it might make sense to have a guy with some starts under his belt ready to go.

I have no idea what their cap situation is and I doubt that's workable on a number of levels, but Sanchez will have to go somewhere and be a backup.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a reason no one is talking about him. Watched him for years at UNC, nothing more than a backup. and why are there people wanting Moore as a stop gap QB, the guy is horrible. Was a starter in Carolina and was awful, so he has a couple of decent games so what......we are screwed at the QB position..I don't even know what to do.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Think they'd want Sanchez as a backup?
    No, Kubiak loves Yates, he is cheap and signed through 2015.

With Schaub's track record with injuries, it would take an unbelievable offer to pry Yates away from the Texans.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    No, Kubiak loves Yates, he is cheap and signed through 2015.

With Schaub's track record with injuries, it would take an unbelievable offer to pry Yates away from the Texans.
    Yeah, prolly should have put a smiley there. I think its possible Sanchez goes somewhere but Houston doesn't really seem viable. Yates, while young, has some starting experience, which in my mind is essential for being a #2. Your #3 can be a green rookie, but your #2 MUST have seen some real live action.

When the Bears rolled out Caleb Hanie, it was essentially malpractice.