Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jetster thinks that Sanchez will agree to redo his contract

Jetster thinks that Sanchez will agree to redo his contract

Face it , Mark is miserable & needs a new start & to get as far away from NY as possible.
    People seem to think that this contract is written in stone but if his agent & Mark agree to redo the structure of the contract so a move can be made they can do it.
    He's out of here & he will no way stay here to sit on the bench, Jet fans don't want to see him again.
    Coming off the bench due to injury or what have you, MetLife would explode in boos, he is done in NY.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    !, or?

I thought this was a news post or something.

Damn you to hell.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This a terrible thread title. Stupid at best, purposely misleading at worst.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but don't do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Face it , Mark is miserable & needs a new start & to get as far away from NY as possible.
    People seem to think that this contract is written in stone but if his agent & Mark agree to redo the structure of the contract so a move can be made they can do it.
    He's out of here & he will no way stay here to sit on the bench, Jet fans don't want to see him again.
    Coming off the bench due to injury or what have you, MetLife would explode in boos, he is done in NY.
    MeSter thinks "fat chance"

Jets Insider VIP
    Raoul likes bacon

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I thought this was a news post or something.

Damn you to hell.
    You heard it here 1st!
    NO WAY is Mark Sanchez going to lead this Jet team anywhere. He is persona non grata, not only with the fans but with the entire team.

Do you hear of anyone GETTING HIS BACK? Other than a loser like Braylon Edwards looking to take a shot at the organization that wasn't interested in his 17 receptions in 2 years since he left.
    Sanchez is SHOT! He is David Carr right now. He has ZERO confidence & if you think he'll somehow magically turn it around you are sadly mistaken. He has gotten progressively worse this season.
    His 1st pick was typical Sanchez circa 2012, backpedal, throw a floater off his back foot, PICK.
    2nd one, typical Sanchez, throw late & off target down the middle, PICK.
    NY is in his head, he is not good, nor mentally healthy, he's been stealing money & headlines, done to many commercials & print Ads for what he was worthy of, he has completely killed this team single handedly with his boneheaded disregard for the ball.

He's a nice kid, but don't kid yourself, no one on this team LIKES what he has gotten away with. Every other player knows they wouldn't have gotten the length of rope that Sanchez is now hanging from.

NY & Mark Sanchez will NEVER go together again.
    Last edited by jetster; 12-04-2012 at 10:29 AM.

You heard it here 1st!
    NO WAY is Mark Sanchez going to lead this Jet team anywhere. He is persona non grata, not only with the fans but with the entire team.

Do you hear of anyone GETTING HIS BACK? Other than a loser like Braylon Edwards looking to take a shot at the organization that wasn't interested in his 17 receptions in 2 years since he left.
    Sanchez is SHOT! He is David Carr right now. He has ZERO confidence & if you think he'll somehow magically turn it around you are sadly mistaken. He has gotten progressively worse this season.
    His 1st pick was typical Sanchez circa 2012, backpedal, throw a floater off his back foot, PICK.
    2nd one, typical Sanchez, throw late & off target down the middle, PICK.
    NY is in his head, he is not good, nor mentally healthy, he's been stealing money & headlines, done to many commercials & print Ads for what he was worthy of, he has completely killed this team single handedly with his boneheaded disregard for the ball.

He's a nice kid, but don't kid yourself, no one on this team LIKES what he has gotten away with. Every other player knows they wouldn't have gotten the length of rope that Sanchez is now hanging from.

NY & Mark Sanchez will NEVER go together again.
    So you just expect him to give money back? Besides the fact he and his agent aren't that stupid, the Player's Association won't allow it. There is no possible restructuring of his contract that is good for him or the team. If the team's intent is the get rid of him they sure as hell won't restructure and spread his contract out even longer.

I don't think that makes sense (redoing the contract)

I'm no expert but the deal is that he's currently got this year and next year's salaries guaranteed and the last 2 years are non-guaranteed.

So if he were going to do something for the team, he would have to give up some part of next year's guaranteed 8 plus million for what exactly? It would only make sense if they were going to guarantee his last 2 years and I doubt they would do that.

If I were Mark, I wouldn't renegotiate. He loses if he does even if he were to get traded.

Someone please explain how this could work for both other than "Mark gives up money because he's a nice guy".

I'm not being wise, I just don't know how it would work were both parties would gain something. That's what drives renegotiation.

Hall Of Fame
    jetster ?????

more like jester

I dont think he will either but I do think its a good idea to bench him and make him uncomfortable enough to help facilitate a deal no matter how remote the chances are....there are other players mking ridiculous $ who could use a change of scenery as well - make him comfortable and he will stay and collect his checks....bench him.

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I don't think that makes sense (redoing the contract)

I'm no expert but the deal is that he's currently got this year and next year's salaries guaranteed and the last 2 years are non-guaranteed.

So if he were going to do something for the team, he would have to give up some part of next year's guaranteed 8 plus million for what exactly? It would only make sense if they were going to guarantee his last 2 years and I doubt they would do that.

If I were Mark, I wouldn't renegotiate. He loses if he does even if he were to get traded.

Someone please explain how this could work for both other than "Mark gives up money because he's a nice guy".

I'm not being wise, I just don't know how it would work were both parties would gain something. That's what drives renegotiation.
    Jets will have to eat some of his contract but this is how you do it. You make him the 3rd QB in 2014!
    If he wants to sit on the bench for 8 games at Metlife being the loser that he is because he doesn't have the balls to tell his agent to make a deal than so be it.
    Play F*cking hardball!
    Hey, if he wants that money so bad, the guy has already ripped off probably 25 million so far, he'll earn it dressed as the 3rd string QB! Why should that be a shock?
    He's the 32nd ranked starting QB in the league!
    Chad Henne is ranked higher.
    Play ball like the f*cking Steelers!
    Make him want to leave & make it clear he has NO CHANCE of even being the backup QB.
    He hasn't earned it anyway. Jets need to stop being such a P*ssy team & stop letting players run the asylum because we paid them so much, it's total BS, we aint winning no Superbowl in 2013 anyway folks!
    Make him shoot his way out with concessions.

Jets will have to eat some of his contract but this is how you do it. You make him the 3rd QB in 2014!
    If he wants to sit on the bench for 8 games at Metlife being the loser that he is because he doesn't have the balls to tell his agent to make a deal than so be it.
    Play F*cking hardball!
    Hey, if he wants that money so bad, the guy has already ripped off probably 25 million so far, he'll earn it dressed as the 3rd string QB! Why should that be a shock?
    Make him want to leave & make it clear he has NO CHANCE of even being the backup QB.
    He hasn't earned it anyway. Jets need to stop being such a P*ssy team & stop letting players run the asylum because we paid them so much, it's total BS, we aint winning no Superbowl in 2013 anyway folks!
    In 2014 he will be gone. 2013 we are stuck with him. I'm sure he'll be very uncomfortable making that guaranteed $8m sitting on the bench. The Jets have no play here, they backed themselves into this corner by restructuring last offseason. Players can not make concessions, the Player's Association wouldn't allow it even if he wanted to.

Play F*cking hardball!
    In 2014 he gets 11.5 million... you can't bench him for that..you have to cut him or play him.

See, the problem is that he holds the leverage. If he stays put, it's the Jets that are desperate to do something with his contract. He has no incentive to do anything at this point. If they want him out of the contract, they have to give up something.

There's no leverage for the Jets. The reason there isn't is because they gave it up when they extended him. Emotion doesn't play into it when you've got an agent.

His salary is guaranteed for next year. That's the Jets problem. Sit him and you still have to pay him. If you don't cut him in 2014, you have to pay him 11.5 million. No one is going to pay him that kind of money so if I were Mark, I would just say "okay, sit me, just make sure you spell my name correctly when you pay me". He has to be willing to renegotiate his contract to move to another team but he holds the leverage.
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 12-04-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Raoul likes bacon
    George is getting upset!

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    In 2014 he will be gone. 2013 we are stuck with him. I'm sure he'll be very uncomfortable making that guaranteed $8m sitting on the bench. The Jets have no play here, they backed themselves into this corner by restructuring last offseason. Players can not make concessions, the Player's Association wouldn't allow it even if he wanted to.
    I'd like to know more about that. I would think a player & agent could always rework a contract if they are agreeable?
    Makes no sense.
    Well, we'll see. I think Mark is done in NY.
    Personally I hope so, the kid has no heart & obviously doesn't work on his skills.
    Either that or he really is just no good.

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningNagle View Post
    I dont think he will either but I do think its a good idea to bench him and make him uncomfortable enough to help facilitate a deal no matter how remote the chances are....there are other players mking ridiculous $ who could use a change of scenery as well - make him comfortable and he will stay and collect his checks....bench him.
    What do you mean by make him uncomfortable? You realize there is a union, and no teammates are going to stand by and watch him get "picked on" because of the money he makes. They are all in the same boat, you let management get away with it with him - you could be next.

Remember he signed for very low guaranteed money as a rookie and got his money as part of achieving team incentives. I think he would be receptive to a deal where he will take 75 cents on the dollar if they let him go in January. so instead of a 17 mill cap hit it will be a 15 mill hit. The thing is can the jets afford to get rid of him at 15 mill than to keep him for 13 this year and take a 4 mill hit in 2014. So this has him buying his freedom a year early for 2.5 mill.

Basically, it was a ****ty extension for the Jets if they weren't confident in Mark. They tied themselves to him through the 2013 season with that extension. They said, "stay and we'll pay you through 2013 guaranteed". The Jets committed the money for those two years in exchange for that price. There's only leverage for the Jets beyond 2013. If they want to terminate before 2014, Mark holds all leverage.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Here is some good info from nyjetscap.com

Mark Sanchez' Contract and Future Possibilities

Mark Sanchez has a gigantic cap hit if he was to be cut next season. Because of the crazy extension the Jets gave him the dead cap from prorated money in his contract is $8,903,125. The Jets further compounded that by guaranteeing him $8.25 million in salary. In the event that he is released that amount will immediately accelerate onto the cap. Because there are no offsets for that salary the Jets can not obtain credits if Sanchez signs with another team meaning releasing him would cost the Jets $17,153,125 in cap charges, a net loss of $4.3 million in cap room, clearly a move the Jets can not make.

It is hard to picture a scenario in which Sanchez is back with the Jets after this move so in my mind they have two options to move him:

A. Find a trade partner willing to give up a conditional late round draft choice. I cant see anyone in the NFL willing to pay $8.25 million for Sanchez but if you can find someone willing to spend $4.3 million for him you can break even on the cap. What you would do in this case is pay Sanchez a $3.95 million dollar bonus before the trade is sent to the league office. The trading team picks up the balance of the $4.3 million dollar guarantee. The cap hit for the Jets would equal $12,853,125, exactly the cost of keeping him on the roster next season, leaving the team with a net zero cap effect. While it might seem crazy Sanchez does have some pedigree and I think a team like the Steelers, who need a quality backup, or Cardinals, who need a starter, could bite.

B. Designate Sanchez a June 1 cut. This doesn’t help you with cap room until June 1st but it keeps you from losing cap room by the outright release of the player. If you designate Sanchez a June 1 cut you will retain his $12.85 million cap charge until June 1st rather than taking on the $17.15 million charge. Once June 1 hits his cap charge will reduce to $12.353 million and you will take the $4.8 million balance as a charge in 2014.

I would think those are the only options the Jets can handle. The third option is to keep him on the team, but I find that hard to see as beneficial to any party involved. In this case you have to determine what Sanchez is worth on the open markets ($1-2 million), make that his base salary and prorate the remaining amount. For example you would pay him a $1 million dollar salary and convert the $8.25 million guarantee to a signing bonus. That reduces his cap charge to $7,165,625, a savings of about $5.68 million for 2013. The big negative of that is that his dead cap is increased from $4.8 million in 2014 to $10,987,500. You may end up paying cap for him from 2013-2015 under this scenario plus using a roster spot on him in 2013. Im not sure if that is a smart move.

Thanks Pete. I think that says it all. The Jets are going to have to eat around 12 million on this deal unless some crazy stuff happens.