Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jetster thinks that Sanchez will agree to redo his contract

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Here is some good info from nyjetscap.com

Mark Sanchez' Contract and Future Possibilities

Mark Sanchez has a gigantic cap hit if he was to be cut next season. Because of the crazy extension the Jets gave him the dead cap from prorated money in his contract is $8,903,125. The Jets further compounded that by guaranteeing him $8.25 million in salary. In the event that he is released that amount will immediately accelerate onto the cap. Because there are no offsets for that salary the Jets can not obtain credits if Sanchez signs with another team meaning releasing him would cost the Jets $17,153,125 in cap charges, a net loss of $4.3 million in cap room, clearly a move the Jets can not make.

It is hard to picture a scenario in which Sanchez is back with the Jets after this move so in my mind they have two options to move him:

A. Find a trade partner willing to give up a conditional late round draft choice. I cant see anyone in the NFL willing to pay $8.25 million for Sanchez but if you can find someone willing to spend $4.3 million for him you can break even on the cap. What you would do in this case is pay Sanchez a $3.95 million dollar bonus before the trade is sent to the league office. The trading team picks up the balance of the $4.3 million dollar guarantee. The cap hit for the Jets would equal $12,853,125, exactly the cost of keeping him on the roster next season, leaving the team with a net zero cap effect. While it might seem crazy Sanchez does have some pedigree and I think a team like the Steelers, who need a quality backup, or Cardinals, who need a starter, could bite.

B. Designate Sanchez a June 1 cut. This doesn’t help you with cap room until June 1st but it keeps you from losing cap room by the outright release of the player. If you designate Sanchez a June 1 cut you will retain his $12.85 million cap charge until June 1st rather than taking on the $17.15 million charge. Once June 1 hits his cap charge will reduce to $12.353 million and you will take the $4.8 million balance as a charge in 2014.

I would think those are the only options the Jets can handle. The third option is to keep him on the team, but I find that hard to see as beneficial to any party involved. In this case you have to determine what Sanchez is worth on the open markets ($1-2 million), make that his base salary and prorate the remaining amount. For example you would pay him a $1 million dollar salary and convert the $8.25 million guarantee to a signing bonus. That reduces his cap charge to $7,165,625, a savings of about $5.68 million for 2013. The big negative of that is that his dead cap is increased from $4.8 million in 2014 to $10,987,500. You may end up paying cap for him from 2013-2015 under this scenario plus using a roster spot on him in 2013. Im not sure if that is a smart move.
    Rex will start him on Sunday. Jets lose. Whatever. They'll all be gone in 2013 except Sanchez, typical Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What do you mean by make him uncomfortable? You realize there is a union, and no teammates are going to stand by and watch him get "picked on" because of the money he makes. They are all in the same boat, you let management get away with it with him - you could be next.

Remember he signed for very low guaranteed money as a rookie and got his money as part of achieving team incentives. I think he would be receptive to a deal where he will take 75 cents on the dollar if they let him go in January. so instead of a 17 mill cap hit it will be a 15 mill hit. The thing is can the jets afford to get rid of him at 15 mill than to keep him for 13 this year and take a 4 mill hit in 2014. So this has him buying his freedom a year early for 2.5 mill.
    You just contradicted yourself. You correctly stated the Players Union won't allow management to get away with picking on him, you think they're gonna allow management to just pay him 75cent on the dollar? That's not how it works. He is guaranteed 8 million next year. Period. If the Jets want to lessen that blow they would need to offer him MORE guaranteed money and spread it over more years, as well as get Mark to agree to take less non-guaranteed annual salary amounts each year. You do that by giving him even MORE guaranteed money. But then if you cut or trade him the guaranteed money is accelerated immediately against the cap so there's no benefit to cutting or trading him. The only course we have is cut/trade him this offseason and eat the 8 million as dead money against our cap or keep him on the team as a backup at least and then cut him before 2014 for little to no cost to us. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    You just contradicted yourself. You correctly stated the Players Union won't allow management to get away with picking on him, you think they're gonna allow management to just pay him 75cent on the dollar? That's not how it works. He is guaranteed 8 million next year. Period. If the Jets want to lessen that blow they would need to offer him MORE guaranteed money and spread it over more years, as well as get Mark to agree to take less non-guaranteed annual salary amounts each year. You do that by giving him even MORE guaranteed money. But then if you cut or trade him the guaranteed money is accelerated immediately against the cap so there's no benefit to cutting or trading him. The only course we have is cut/trade him this offseason and eat the 8 million as dead money against our cap or keep him on the team as a backup at least and then cut him before 2014 for little to no cost to us. Period.
    Then the Jets should just eat the 8 million.
    Play Macelroy, can't be any worse than Sanchez was this year, draft a QB if there is one that they like (developmental guy), & call it a day.
    Working toward a future should be our goal 2014 & beyond.
    Need to be in a great place when Brady calls it quits, I'm sick of these quick fixes, Jets are like heroin addicts.

I think it's a little more complicated if you cut him and eat 8 million. I think accelerated bonus costs come into play because it's over 2 years and not 4 years (not a cap expert).... I think that's part of what Pete's post is saying.... I suspect it's more like 12 million or more hit next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Then the Jets should just eat the 8 million.
    Play Macelroy, can't be any worse than Sanchez was this year, draft a QB if there is one that they like (developmental guy), & call it a day.
    Working toward a future should be our goal 2014 & beyond.
    Need to be in a great place when Brady calls it quits, I'm sick of these quick fixes, Jets are like heroin addicts.
    That's exactly what they're going to do, but they'll do it with Sanchez on the roster still. If you have to pay the guy anyway you might as well keep him as the backup for the meantime.

No they cant force him to take less, no way. However if he wants the players union will let him take an early out, Remember Coles did, he left money on the table. He is guaranteed the 8 mill. but if he will take 6 the jets will agree to release him in jan. 3 months before the draft so that he can look for an new opportunity. The jets would need to account for the 8.5 mill of un-amortized bonus and add that to the 6mill settlement. For a 15 mill cap hit next year, but no hit at all in 2014. Sanchez moves on and the jets move on and the jets save 2 mill. I think Sanchez will bypass the 2mill for an opportunity to start fresh next year.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Face it , Mark is miserable & needs a new start & to get as far away from NY as possible.
    People seem to think that this contract is written in stone but if his agent & Mark agree to redo the structure of the contract so a move can be made they can do it.
    He's out of here & he will no way stay here to sit on the bench, Jet fans don't want to see him again.
    Coming off the bench due to injury or what have you, MetLife would explode in boos, he is done in NY.
    If he sticks around next year and is buried on the bench he won't have a lot of leverage in 2014 when he's cut.....he could even be out of the NFL.....his agent would do him a service to figure out where he can start next year [like Arizona f'rinstance] and work a deal to help his client and the Jets and his next team.

That's exactly what they're going to do, but they'll do it with Sanchez on the roster still. If you have to pay the guy anyway you might as well keep him as the backup for the meantime.
    Absolutely. Sanchez stays and battles it out with McElroy. Either he starts or is the #2.

^^ agreed, option 3. No way they pay all that $ and not have him compete next season. Only option is to pay him and draft a QB. Hopefully we get lucky with a mid round or late 1st prospect on trade back/up. Either way i see us being active in the draft this off-season

Rex will start him on Sunday. Jets lose. Whatever. They'll all be gone in 2013 except Sanchez, typical Jets.
    And you then bring in an established OC/QB coach, a HC that isnt a clown and will instill some discipline and make this a NFL pro team environment again and its possible Sanchez's career can be restored again.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    And you then bring in an established OC/QB coach, a HC that isnt a clown and will instill some discipline and make this a NFL pro team environment again and its possible Sanchez's career can be restored again.
    This is EXACTLY what Woody is likely to do. We need to find a cheap veteran to come in and compete with McElroy and Sanchez in the preseason and may the best man win. But most importantly we need a coaching regime that understands the QB position and how to mentor and develop him. Mark Sanchez has sucked I agree, but it's not like he's had geniuses around him helping him succeed. Take one of the youngest, least experienced QB's in history, pair him with a terrible QB coach in Cavanaugh, under the worst HC in terms of offensive prowess, with 2 of the worst OC's in the league and this is what you get. Who knows Sanchez may have been doodoo no matter who worked with him, but I suspect he would have fared better under a guy like Joe Philbin for example.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan29 View Post
    If he sticks around next year and is buried on the bench he won't have a lot of leverage in 2014 when he's cut.....he could even be out of the NFL.....his agent would do him a service to figure out where he can start next year [like Arizona f'rinstance] and work a deal to help his client and the Jets and his next team.
    8 Million to carry a clip board, then retire? Doesn't sound bad to me.

What would happen if we released him TODAY? Same implications as releasing him in 2013?

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyShuler View Post
    What would happen if we released him TODAY? Same implications as releasing him in 2013?
    I'd want something for my 8 Million.

Here Mark, the film room needs attention.

Face it , Mark is miserable & needs a new start & to get as far away from NY as possible.
    People seem to think that this contract is written in stone but if his agent & Mark agree to redo the structure of the contract so a move can be made they can do it.
    He's out of here & he will no way stay here to sit on the bench, Jet fans don't want to see him again.
    Coming off the bench due to injury or what have you, MetLife would explode in boos, he is done in NY.
    Actually, I was thinking this plays out with Sanchez being given an ultimatum from Tanny.

Take a paycut or face your immediate release.

That's the same ultimatum they gave Chad Pennington back in 2006 and I believe it applies here.

First of all, NO ONE in the league is going to ever pay Sanchez the kind of money he's making right now. So assuming he opts to get cut, he'd get the guaranteed portion of his contract with the Jets, but he would lose some pay and would never be able to recover it with another team.

Second of all, if he opts to refuse a paycut, every personnel guy in the league would never give him another contract because they know he's a greedy and selfish player.

Third of all, if he opts to accept a paycut, he can stay here and compete in a straight up QB competition. This way he's still employed and has the possibility, if he hits on all of his incentives, to regain a good portion of what he lost in his contract right now.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no hope for Sanchez now. I think he's done in NY. But given his contract situation, I don't believe the Jets can outright release him right now. So him accepting a paycut is what would be best for both parties. Sanchez gets to stay in NY and the Jets free up serious cap space to go after much needed talent for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyShuler View Post
    you cant release him today as that would be the jets over the cap. You have to release enough player so that you can absorb his cap hit.

The Jets need a backup QB. Why not let McElroy finish the season and that way we see what we have with him. Then next season it's an open competition for starting QB. If McElroy wins the competition we have a highly paid decent backup with Sanchez for one season. A decent different backup would cost what 2 to 3 mil? Maybe Sanchez wins the competition and we have a decent backup in MeElroy. The Jets need to do something right because they been getting it wrong for the past 40 years!

Not going to happen. The Jets organization ruined him, so he's not going to help these a$$clowns one bit, would you? He will sit and get paid big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Actually, I was thinking this plays out with Sanchez being given an ultimatum from Tanny.

That's the same ultimatum they gave Chad Pennington back in 2006 and I believe it applies here.

First of all, NO ONE in the league is going to ever pay Sanchez the kind of money he's making right now. So assuming he opts to get cut, he'd get the guaranteed portion of his contract with the Jets, but he would lose some pay and would never be able to recover it with another team.

Second of all, if he opts to refuse a paycut, every personnel guy in the league would never give him another contract because they know he's a greedy and selfish player.

Third of all, if he opts to accept a paycut, he can stay here and compete in a straight up QB competition. This way he's still employed and has the possibility, if he hits on all of his incentives, to regain a good portion of what he lost in his contract right now.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no hope for Sanchez now. I think he's done in NY. But given his contract situation, I don't believe the Jets can outright release him right now. So him accepting a paycut is what would be best for both parties. Sanchez gets to stay in NY and the Jets free up serious cap space to go after much needed talent for the team.
    maybe that's why they're starting him again. it's like they're giving him enough rope to hang himself. the offense sucks anyway. so if sanchez can't score again and turns it over a few times, then the rest of the team will really embrace mcelroy as qb and may not even want sanchez around next year. this could in turn give the jets leverage with mark's contract.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Problem is, the Jets can't cut Sanchez without taking an untenable cap hit. So, why would he agree to a salary cut when he knows the Jets simply do not have the ability to cut him?

The extension of Mark Sanchez by the Jets last year is the singularly most indefensible FO move by any team in a long, long time. Any other move undertaken by the Jets had at least some rational element behind it - you may not have agreed with it, but you can see where the team was coming from. Whether it was either of Revis's contracts, the cutting of Faneca, Pete Kendall, signing Holmes, whatever. I had problems with a number of them, but there are three sides to every story - I understood that there were a few ways to look at the situations.

But, the gift extension handed to Sanchez made no sense whatsoever. The Jets went from being able to move on after 2012 to being stuck through 13' with Sanchez on the team and then cutting him for a still sizeable dead money hit.

The more this plays out, the more its likely that Tanny is gone because of it.