Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets in the second round of the draft.

Hall Of Fame

Jets in the second round of the draft.

I know everyone likes to focus on first round guys and those picks are scrutinized more than some others, but if you look at the Jets history in the second round of the draft, it is even more bleak. Second round guys should typically be players that should step in and be able to contribute from day one. Unless its a QB, then you have more of a ramp up period. I only went back the past 10 drafts because those players still have a realistic chance of being in the league.

2012 Stephen Hill
    2011 None
    2010 Vlad Ducasse
    2009 None
    2008 None
    2007 David Harris
    2006 Kellen Clemens
    2005 Mike Nugent
    Justin Miller
    2004 None
    2003 Victor Hobson

People can talk about the lack of impact players taken in the first round, but the Jets have got nothing from the second round.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 12-04-2012 at 10:06 AM.

All Pro
    I mean Hobson was decent..so jets fans thought he was going to be the next big thing he didn't quite live up to that but he was serviceable.

Nugget has turned out great (not sure if its a case of not being able to handle the ny media or we gave up to soon.)

Hill remains to be seen. But looks like a #3 WR. Speed with no discipline.
    Harris is ok. Never a star.
    Nugent is still in the league but #2 is a reach for a kicker, he's not Janilowski.
    Vlad stinks.
    Hobson was a 4th.
    Clemens. Another 4th rounder.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Nugent is still in the league but #2 is a reach for a kicker, he's not Janilowski.
    Vlad stinks.
    Hobson was a 4th.

Man, some people and their information when it's so easy to look at Wikipedia...

Hobson WAS a 2nd rounder. Clemens WAS a 2nd rounder.

Also, we essentially got Cromartie for a 2nd round draft pick, you have to consider that.

Also, Keller is basically a "2nd round" draft pick...we traded up from the top of the 2nd round into the bottom of the 1st round.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Vlad stinks.
    Hobson was a 4th.
    If your talking about Kellen Clemens he was a 2nd rd pick in the 06 draft..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    I mean Hobson was decent..so jets fans thought he was going to be the next big thing he didn't quite live up to that but he was serviceable.

Nugget has turned out great (not sure if its a case of not being able to handle the ny media or we gave up to soon.)
    Kicker in the second round?? Especially one who can not kick past 46 yards.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Man, some people and their information when it's so easy to look at Wikipedia...

Also, we essentially got Cromartie for a 2nd round draft pick, you have to consider that.

Also, Keller is basically a "2nd round" draft pick...we traded up from the top of the 2nd round into the bottom of the 1st round.
    LOl....plus I thought the title of the thread would give it away as well..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Kicker in the second round?? Especially one who can not kick past 46 yards.
    It was a great move our kicker just lost us a chance to go to the Super Bowl..

We traded down got the accoladed kicker probably ever to come out of college and still got miller who we wanted in the 1st rd that year with the next 2nd rd pick.

Like all in all it's was a great move both players just didn't work out for us..

Nuggent has been great for Cinci tho

Banned

2012 Stephen Hill
    2011 None
    2010 Vlad Ducasse
    2009 None
    2008 None
    2007 David Harris
    2006 Kellen Clemens
    2005 Mike Nugent
    Justin Miller
    2004 None
    2003 Victor Hobson

Who are the None brothers?

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post

I KNOW EXACTLY what I am talking about. Perhaps YOU need help in understanding the subtleties of the English language.
    Hobson and Clemens WERE 4th rounders selected STUPIDLY by the Jets in the 2nd.
    Keller was 1st. You ARE where you are picked.
    Cromartie was a trade. Not a pick. Essentially a salary and character dump.

Vlad stinks.
    Hobson was a 4th.
    That's good since Janikowski went in the 1st
    Hill is 12 games into his career
    Look it up-Hobson and Clemens were 2nd round picks. Yikes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

It was a great move our kicker just lost us a chance to go to the Super Bowl.. We traded down got the accoladed kicker probably ever to come out of college and still got miller who we wanted in the 1st rd that year with the next 2nd rd pick.

Like all in all it's was a great move both players just didn't work out for us..

You think the Jets would have beat the Pats in the AFCCG with Chaddy after he lead the Jets to just 1 fg against Pitt??

LOl....plus I thought the title of the thread would give it away as well..

I would have expeected more understanding from a Clemson guy. Has everyone lost the ability to understand sarcastic hyperbole?

Hall Of Fame
    It was a great move our kicker just lost us a chance to go to the Super Bowl..

We traded down got the accoladed kicker probably ever to come out of college and still got miller who we wanted in the 1st rd that year with the next 2nd rd pick.

If they were considering Miller in the first round, that was even a worse talent evaluation than previously thought. Miller was terrible in coverage in college, got by with his speed. Clueless when the ball was in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Who are the None brothers?

You haven't heard of them? The Jets have a pipeline to that family.
    Been a draft strategy for years.
    Question: "How much talent in this years draft?" Answer: "None as usual".

Hall Of Fame
    I would have expeected more understanding from a Clemson guy. Has everyone lost the ability to understand sarcastic hyperbole?
    LOL...I got it now.

All Pro
    If they were considering Miller in the first round, that was even a worse talent evaluation than previously thought. Miller was terrible in coverage in college, got by with his speed. Clueless when the ball was in the air.
    Hindsight is easy but miller had a legit 1st rd grade coming out. So to get him with our late 2nd rd from experts to fans everyone thought it was a steal.
    Last edited by Scoop24; 12-04-2012 at 10:32 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You think the Jets would have beat the Pats in the AFCCG with Chaddy after he lead the Jets to just 1 fg against Pitt??
    I mean anything is possible if brien doesn't missed 2 fgs inside of 50 yards.

Hall Of Fame
    In fairness Cromartie was essentially a second round pick for us. BUT. We had to pay him after one year and did not get the benefit of having a young/cheap player. Risk/Reward/Cost. It is a balance.

Looking back, we are now paying the price for Gholston and Sanchez. When you miss that high it is usually felt earlier. But we had such a good roster in 2008-2010 that we were able to overcome it for a brief time.

Chickens have come home to roost. CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!!!

good post - 2d rd has always been a disaster for the Jets - besides a few somewhat decent OL the only arguably impact players the Jets drafted in the 2d were Harris, Lamont Jordan, (I'll give them Dennis Byrd as he would have been good if not hurt) with excellent players in Gastineau and Wesley Walker - I mean thats 5 players in 40 years of 2d rd picks. Thats awful for a 2d rd and a big reason why the Jets have not had a lot of success in their history.