Thread: QB Decision More Political Than Football Related

QB Decision More Political Than Football Related

Rex is supposedly asking for people's opinions on who to start at QB. Unfortunately, almost no one will give Rex an answer based upon football, they will give an answer that serves their best interest. Lets look at who he probably would consult with:

Tannebaum the fraud: Will push very very hard for Sanchez. If McEloy starts and has any success and the Sanchez era ends, the Tannenloser era ends as well because of the ludicrous contract adjustment this bum gave Sanchez in the offseason. His entire hope of surviving the season and keeping his job relies on his hand picked franchise QB showing success in the last 4 games.

Sparano: Similar to Tannenasswipe, Sparanos star is tied to Sanchez. If he is shown to be completely unsuccessful at bringing Sanchez around, which he was brought in to do, then he will be gone as well. Sanchez permanent benching is the end of him, so he will also lobby for Sanchez. Hard

Woody: It has been reported that Woody favors McElroy. I am sure he was at the game and it was obvious that Sanchez is deeply hated, and bringing in McElroy energized both the team and fans. I think this report is accurate, because he wants that to continue whether or not it is the best footbal decision

Matt Cava-naught He is largely responsible for the mess of Sanchez. He should have been gone last year. If Sanchez is benched nothing can save him, so again he will push hard for Sanchez.

Veteran players: They don't want to be replaced by their backups, so they will lobby against McElroy as well most likely unless Sanchez is truly despised. Interestingly the fear factor of McElroy getting the job might be a great motivating factor for the rest of the team making it more likely McElroy succeeds.

The truth is that Rex has to make this decision himself, he cannot rely on others to give an unbiased opinion. I think Rex finally realizes that loyalty is a double edged sword and his allegiance to Sanchez has brought him to the brink of losing his job.

Make no mistake: Sanchez is a failure and there really is not any possible positive outcome of starting him again. We have seen 60+ games of Mark and he is arguably worse than he was as a rookie.

If Rex goes with consensus, we will hear something like " we all thought that Mark just had a bad game, but he still gives us the best chance to win"

It's the wrong call, but will Rex have the guts to go against the flow, make the right call and start McElroy likely sealing the fate of his GM, OC and QB coach. It is maybe the only way he saves his job.

I would like to think he will, but I think the loyalty thing will get him and he goes back to Sanchez

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Political would be more like JJ calling Woody and asking to give his Sales and Marketing guys boy a shot.

They should just put a suggestion box in the locker room.

There are so many factors in play here as you point out that go beyond performance on the field. One thing I'd be curious to know - is McElroy outperforming Sanchez in practice or has he ever shown that capability? I want McElroy to start just to see something new, I don't really see it as a cure-all to our offense's issues.

Jets Insider VIP
    McElroy should start, period.

It's become clear as day that Sanchez isn't this teams longterm QB.

McElroy probably isn't either, but maybe we have a solid gamemanager on our hands who can play smart ball until we find our franchise option at the position. A guy who maybe has the ability to complete 60% of his passes, protect the football, and isn't gunshy and totally blind in the pocket.

Jets Insider VIP
    You made this too complicated. It goes like this.

If sanchez fails, Tanny gets fired for extending him. And the new gm will hire an entirely new coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Rex is supposedly asking for people's opinions on who to start at QB. Unfortunately, almost no one will give Rex an answer based upon football, they will give an answer that serves their best interest. Lets look at who he probably would consult with:

Tannebaum the fraud: Will push very very hard for Sanchez. If McEloy starts and has any success and the Sanchez era ends, the Tannenloser era ends as well because of the ludicrous contract adjustment this bum gave Sanchez in the offseason. His entire hope of surviving the season and keeping his job relies on his hand picked franchise QB showing success in the last 4 games.

Sparano: Similar to Tannenasswipe, Sparanos star is tied to Sanchez. If he is shown to be completely unsuccessful at bringing Sanchez around, which he was brought in to do, then he will be gone as well. Sanchez permanent benching is the end of him, so he will also lobby for Sanchez. Hard

Woody: It has been reported that Woody favors McElroy. I am sure he was at the game and it was obvious that Sanchez is deeply hated, and bringing in McElroy energized both the team and fans. I think this report is accurate, because he wants that to continue whether or not it is the best footbal decision

Matt Cava-naught He is largely responsible for the mess of Sanchez. He should have been gone last year. If Sanchez is benched nothing can save him, so again he will push hard for Sanchez.

Veteran players: They don't want to be replaced by their backups, so they will lobby against McElroy as well most likely unless Sanchez is truly despised. Interestingly the fear factor of McElroy getting the job might be a great motivating factor for the rest of the team making it more likely McElroy succeeds.

The truth is that Rex has to make this decision himself, he cannot rely on others to give an unbiased opinion. I think Rex finally realizes that loyalty is a double edged sword and his allegiance to Sanchez has brought him to the brink of losing his job.

Make no mistake: Sanchez is a failure and there really is not any possible positive outcome of starting him again. We have seen 60+ games of Mark and he is arguably worse than he was as a rookie.

If Rex goes with consensus, we will hear something like " we all thought that Mark just had a bad game, but he still gives us the best chance to win"

It's the wrong call, but will Rex have the guts to go against the flow, make the right call and start McElroy likely sealing the fate of his GM, OC and QB coach. It is maybe the only way he saves his job.

I would like to think he will, but I think the loyalty thing will get him and he goes back to Sanchez
    Good post. The only other thing i wonder is how Tebow enters into the picture. If heís able to dress, iím sure heíll then be allowed to play and run the wildcat offence.
    Letís remember that the gameís in Jacksonville, the only other team who may fathom the idea of wanting him next year.