Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: McElroy's Wonderlic score

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I joined the Mac--el--roy chorus around the time of Interception number 3.
    I was posting about McElroy during the pre-game warm ups... in the Roll Call thread.

Does that make me a better fan than you?

-

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    I heard he doesn't just read defenses, he....
    Legit defensiones hebraice

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to look at a few facts here, ladies and gentlemen.

> Team desperately needs to make a change at QB
    > JI cries out for such a change to take place
    > I join JI
    > Very next season, Sanchez gets benched for McElroy
    > Team wins the game
    > McElroy's name starts with "Mc"
    > My name starts with "Mc"

Coincidence? No. We cannot ignore the truth any longer, fellow JI members: I am the CHANGE this organization needed.

You're welcome.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Haha, I ****ing love this guy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I was posting about McElroy during the pre-game warm ups... in the Roll Call thread.

Does that make me a better fan than you?

-
    You're definitely a better fan....that's why you are a moderator esteemed, admired and venerated by ALL of us mere mortals that post here

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow

Talk about poise

Reaction times got faster (not slower as anticipated) with increased stress

Sent from my SGH-T999.
    this is actually pretty interesting. especially for an QB when you have fractions of a second to make plays happen

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fitzmagic always looks like a pretty bad decision maker when I see him play - he's in the Sanchez-Grossman mold, his confidence is all weird, one play he'll think he can thread it into double coverage and the next he'll shy away from a much easier pass.

McElroy's probably a brainier, more conservative quarterback than that, but we shouldn't expect him to be some kind of perfect decision-maker. Sports are hard sometimes.

I would have probably scored a decent Wonderlic too. The only sport I ever played at any serious level was basketball and although I had enough physical talent to start on varsity I was a lot dumber on the court than kids who couldn't spell. Like, frequently confused by zone defense dumb.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Fitzmagic always looks like a pretty bad decision maker when I see him play - he's in the Sanchez-Grossman mold, his confidence is all weird, one play he'll think he can thread it into double coverage and the next he'll shy away from a much easier pass.

McElroy's probably a brainier, more conservative quarterback than that, but we shouldn't expect him to be some kind of perfect decision-maker. Sports are hard sometimes.

I would have probably scored a decent Wonderlic too. The only sport I ever played at any serious level was basketball and although I had enough physical talent to start on varsity I was a lot dumber on the court than kids who couldn't spell. Like, frequently confused by zone defense dumb.
    This is a very valid point. The only thing I do find interesting about the Sports Science thing is how he improved under extra pressure. It's a silly task on a fun show - so I won't read too much into it; but still, for me the one quality that defines the best QB's is that coolness-under-pressure - as if the game slows down as the stakes get higher.

So - who knows - McElroy is certainly limited in the physical skills: I just watched the game again and his passes are well-placed but not with a lot of zip. Those long throws were a little too 'rainbow' - not sure how well that's going to work out in the NFL.

That said McElroy has three things going for him: high-percentage passer with touch and accuracy, he's likely smart enough to understand his reads well, and he's got apparently above-average situational awareness [grace under pressure]. That to me right there - that's enough pluses to make it worth finding out what's he's all about.

I still think he'd be a better fit for a West Coast offense - but who knows - the way things are going we might be getting that next year. Fascinated to see what happens. At the very least he can likely prove that the Jets are set at backup QB for a long time to come - and perhaps cross one problem off the long list.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as he keeps the chains moving, it's all good.

Gives our defense a blow and keeps the ball out of our opponents hands.

Sunday, in 20 minutes, he had 4 drives and effectively scored td's on 2 of them. Extrapolate that out to a full game...

I can live with that kind of production.

29 yards? We beat Indy by 26 pts. and Sanchez threw for 82 yards. w/ two 5 yrd. td passes.

McElroy will do fine.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Eh, never was a big believer in the Wonderlic
    I wonder if Bill Belichek is? (My guess is yes) Dumb football players make dumb mistakes...and there's no cure for stupid.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Through actually.

Went Sunday and rooted hard for him through interception 1 and even interception 2

What I saw was a player with zero confidence in himself and an offense (and even defense) with zero confidence in his ability to not get outplayed by Ryan Lindley whatever that was.

I joined the Mac--el--roy chorus around the time of Interception number 3. and stood with all the rest of the stadium as the kid warmed up and came in to immediately lead his team from the depths of despair to the winning score

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I know. iPhone auto correct.

Nobody likes having to change QBs. Not having a QB leaves the potential for the team to have some terrible seasons. Hopefully we find one soon. Which is why I want to give McElroy the next four games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Neither am I, but wouldn't that indicate he has the ability to understand playcalls and their design?

I'm fairly confident he can understand what's going on the field. The only problem from there is can he have that understanding translate into physical ability? Now, obviously that's an enormous part of the game, but I think we could have a rather cerebral QB with McElroy.
    I bet that deer you shot did really bad on the salt-lick test..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    I wonder if Bill Belichek is? (My guess is yes) Dumb football players make dumb mistakes...and there's no cure for stupid.
    Actually, dumb football players can be very good at avoiding "dumb" mistakes b/c they can be taught to do exactly what you tell them to do. Line up here - go there when you hear the snap count.

The dumb mistakes come from players who overthink things and/or lose their focus.
    - There are plenty of smart people with AD and ADHD.
    - There are plenty of smart people who panic under pressure and make bad choices.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets would be idiots to start Sanchez on Sunday!
    12 games wasn't enough?
    Play Mac, see how he handles a whole game plan.
    Smarts & confidence only need great coaching.
    Mac looks like he would be a natural for a Pats type offense.
    Quick decisions, changing plays at the line.
    With a smart QB you can have a coach on the field.
    In today's NFL, it's hard enough to play defense & really hard when the QB on the other side calls his own plays & keeps the defense from substituting.
    I've seen what Sanchez has for 3 & a half years, I've seen enough.
    People think this benching will make him a better QB?
    How many times do you tell someone, " take care of the ball"
    What do they have to do go back to color cards for this Dolt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Actually, dumb football players can be very good at avoiding "dumb" mistakes b/c they can be taught to do exactly what you tell them to do. Line up here - go there when you hear the snap count.

The dumb mistakes come from players who overthink things and/or lose their focus.
    - There are plenty of smart people with AD and ADHD.
    - There are plenty of smart people who panic under pressure and make bad choices.
    That may be true for. Lineman or Corner but not for a QB.
    People forget that Bradshaw played with what might be the best players EVER on both sides of the ball!
    Go back & look at the film, guys were making leaping catches, even Franco Harris famous play was after Bradshaw threw what should have been an interception.
    Smarts in today NFL for a QB are huge.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    The Wonderlic is another "evaluation" tool that should be disregarded. Evaluators need to trust what they actually see on the field , which is by far the best test of the ability to play football.

There are an awful lot of winning QB's scoring 22 or less....

Brian Greise 39
    Tony Romo 37
    Aaron Rodgers 35
    Peyton Manning 28
    Mark Sanchez 28
    Ryan Leaf 27
    Chad Pennington 25
    Brett Favre 22
    Tim Tebow 22
    Terry Bradshaw 16
    Jim Kelly 15
    Dan Marino 14

Who knew Romo was Smart? Sanchez is the same between the ears as Peyton Manning? Ryan Leaf is smarter than Chad! Boy, I bet those Jim Kelly, Dan Marino and Terry Bradshaw guys barely got a cup of coffee in the NFL.... way to stupid to have any kind of success.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys realize thatMcElroy's Wonderlic score is double Sanchez' qb rating against the Cardinals?

After hearing who's starting against the Jags, I'm betting McElroy's Wonderlic score is double Rex's IQ...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Jets would be idiots to start Sanchez on Sunday!
    12 games wasn't enough?
    Play Mac, see how he handles a whole game plan.
    Smarts & confidence only need great coaching.
    Mac looks like he would be a natural for a Pats type offense.
    Quick decisions, changing plays at the line.
    With a smart QB you can have a coach on the field.
    In today's NFL, it's hard enough to play defense & really hard when the QB on the other side calls his own plays & keeps the defense from substituting.
    I've seen what Sanchez has for 3 & a half years, I've seen enough.
    People think this benching will make him a better QB?
    How many times do you tell someone, " take care of the ball"
    What do they have to do go back to color cards for this Dolt.
    Well of course the Jets are starting Sanchez. They won't let go of their mistakes. I am starting to hate this coaching staff. They are complete idiots. Even if Sanchez wins this game it doesn't matter. We already know what he is. I don't want to see him again.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    The Wonderlic is another "evaluation" tool that should be disregarded. Evaluators need to trust what they actually see on the field , which is by far the best test of the ability to play football.
    Rex needs his eyes checked then...