Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Eh, never was a big believer in the Wonderlic

Super Mother Effing Bowl.

better wonderlic than chad "its all about the intangibles" pennington

Tebow is an idiot

Veteran
    I mean, the types of questions are pretty darn simple. I'm not sure how much one can tell from this test - frankly, the fact that so many do so poorly makes me think more about how dumb some of these 'college graduates' are:

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NamathToCaster View Post
    Out of a possible 50

1. Tim Tebow - 22

2. Mark Sanchez - 28

3. Greg McElroy - 43
    I am pretty sure that MIT's QB this year (and last year and the year before ...) had a great wonderlic score.

Should we sign him up to QB the team?

McElroy

A qb with a brain and no excuses that are lame.
    Last edited by Stillafan; 12-04-2012 at 09:45 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    IMHO - tests like the wonderlic are effective at weeding out people by setting minimums.

Example:

Minimum Wonderlic for QB might be X, but Y for a NT.
    Minimum 40 time for a WR might be 4.7, but 5.2 for a OL.

Back in the day, there was no wonderlic, but I feel confident stating:
    Staubach would have scored very high and Bradshaw would have scored low. Both are in the Hall of Fame.

Jets Insider VIP
    One of my former PhD students was the
    Physics tutor to Vince Young. His comment:

"Dumb as a post".

The wonderlic was accurate that time.

Post reminded me of Mo Claiborne who got like a 4 or something, lol.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I posted about this after I watched the SportsScience broadcast after the Jets drafted McElroy. It's worth reposting and the reason I hope they let this kid play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6355292

Sport Science: High-tech QB combine

As April 28 continues to creep closer, the top NFL draft prospects have been put through a series of obstacles in hopes of impressing coaches and scouts at the NFL combine, their university's pro days and in some cases, workouts with specific teams. Though players at each position feel the heat, the pressure is even greater for quarterbacks.

ESPN Sport Science created its own combine designed specifically to test the top college quarterbacks entering the NFL draft. By using cutting-edge technology, the Sport Science Combine not only presents a more in-depth look at the talent each QB possesses but also offers a methodical explanation behind the results.

Greg McElroy

Greg McElroy is known not only for his athletic prowess, but for his book smarts as well. McElroy's Wonderlic score at the NFL combine, 43 out of 50, is the second-highest score ever by a QB. In fact, McElroy, a Rhodes Scholar finalist, has been criticized for perhaps being too smart. (Well, we have to find something to complain about.) Therefore, it should come as no surprise that the Alabama QB excelled at Mind Games, a combined mental and physical challenge designed to test reaction times.

Each QB was asked to swipe infrared beams as they lit up. The average reaction time was 0.67 seconds, comparable to the amount of time it would take to find an open receiver before the pocket collapses. Then they performed the test again, simultaneously answering a series of football-related questions. After the questions were added, average reaction times slowed by 11 hundredths of a second. But McElroy's reaction time actually improved 14 percent, proving that a quick brain is just as important as a strong arm.

"I really liked testing my reaction times while answering questions," McElroy said. "That's something new and unique. You can study, you can do everything you possibly can off the field but once you get on the field, are you reacting fast? Are you playing fast? Because the main thing the coach will tell you do is play fast and play smart and play within yourself, but first of all, play fast, and that's why reaction time is huge."

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I posted about this after I watched the SportsScience broadcast after the Jets drafted McElroy. It's worth reposting and the reason I hope they let this kid play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6355292
    I wonder how McElroy would do in a West Coast offense. I think that would really suit his strengths.

Neither am I, but wouldn't that indicate he has the ability to understand playcalls and their design?

I'm fairly confident he can understand what's going on the field. The only problem from there is can he have that understanding translate into physical ability? Now, obviously that's an enormous part of the game, but I think we could have a rather cerebral QB with McElroy.

All Pro
    You've been dating the wrong women.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Neither am I, but wouldn't that indicate he has the ability to understand playcalls and their design?
    Looking at the sample questions above, no.

I'd love to see an example of some complex NFL plays. I've never really seen anything like that before.

Looking at the sample questions above, no.

I'd love to see an example of some complex NFL plays. I've never really seen anything like that before.
    That's an excellent idea and I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, the system we currently have is all we have.

And I can't disagree with you answering no to my question, but the facts will only be on display if we put the kid on the field with our starting offense this Sunday.

All League
    Sure is an impressive list.
    Code:
    Name		Year	College		Score
    Ryan Fitzpatrick2005	Harvard		48
    Greg McElroy	2011	Alabama		43
    Jason Maas	1999	Oregon		43
    Blaine Gabbert	2011	Missouri	42
    Drew Henson	2000	Michigan	42
    Bruce Eugene	2006	Grambling State	41
    Hugh Millen	1986	Washington	41
    Darrell Hackney	2006	UAB		40
    Alex Smith	2005	Utah		40

Hall Of Fame
    There is some value to the test. If there wasn't, they wouldn't do it. I am sure some teams value it more than others. It is just another measurable. They are trying to find out everything they can about these guys.

My only problem is I think there is a difference between being smart and being able to learn. I am sure there are guys who have scored low that have a high ability to learn. And I would be more concerned with a players ability to learn.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-04-2012 at 10:31 PM.