Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raiders reportedly in talks with Jon Gruden

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I think I wouldn't mind him coming back.
    Right, so he can reestablish the dynasy he built in Cleveland I suppose? lol

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Right, so he can reestablish the dynasy he built in Cleveland I suppose? lol
    He had them headed in the right direction with their running game. That team had very little talent on offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's a process but Mangini must be laughing his a$$ off at this revisionist history of him being a sensational HC and genius personnel guru..

The guy that from all published reports pushed and pushed and finally got his guy Vernon Gholston selected with the 6th pick in the first round...

and then went from the Jets to build that SB juggernaut in Cleveland

Mangini SUCKED....it's a process

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I know it's a process but Mangini must be laughing his a$$ off at this revisionist history of him being a sensational HC and genius personnel guru..

The guy that from all published reports pushed and pushed and finally got his guy Vernon Gholston selected with the 6th pick in the first round...

and then went from the Jets to build that SB juggernaut in Cleveland

Mangini SUCKED....it's a process

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Look at the Jets team he inherited from Herm in 2006:

- Terrible O-Line
    - No RBs
    - No QB
    - Crappy defense

Then look at the team he left Rex in 2009:

- Best O-Line in football
    - 2 very good RBs
    - Still no QB
    - The building blocks to a top defense (great NT, All-World CB, Decent LBs)

He missed the playoffs for various reasons, but there's no denying he left the team in much better shape than when he first got here.

As for pushing to get his guy, Mangini didn't have to trade picks to get his first round bust. Rex gave up picks and players for his (Sanchez).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Money talks, talk radio follows. You seem to have it backwards.
    Agreed. There seems to be this idea that a good coach wouldn't come to the Jets.

That's ridiculous - these guy, like everyone else in the world, are looking to make the most money.

If we wanted Cowher or Gruden and willing to pay them more than anyone else they would happily come here

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Agreed. There seems to be this idea that a good coach wouldn't come to the Jets.

That's ridiculous - these guy, like everyone else in the world, are looking to make the most money.

If we wanted Cowher or Gruden and willing to pay them more than anyone else they would happily come here
    We don't need a coaching change. The Jets have built their defense now they have to give Sparano something to work with on offense. Jets need an established #1WR, #1RB (assuming Powell doesn't become this the rest of the way), and some O-line depth. The also need to figure out what to do at the QB position, which I think they will have a concrete answer to by the end of the season with Sanchez. Either they start McElroy and build a decent offense around him or go searching for something better than Sanchez in the offseason but something needs to be done about this glaring problem.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tennessee Volunteer online forum fans are absolutely convinced Gruden is taking their job. They think their entire coaching search (which included literally offering the job to Charlie Strong) is a smoke screen to make the AD look like a hero when Gruden takes the job the day after Jets/Titans on MNF. Guys are nuts.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The more I think about it, the more I think I wouldn't mind him coming back.
    It's amazing, isn't it? We're at a point where we actually want Mangini back.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the Jets team he inherited from Herm in 2006:

- Terrible O-Line
    - No RBs
    - No QB
    - Crappy defense

Then look at the team he left Rex in 2009:

- Best O-Line in football
    - 2 very good RBs
    - Still no QB
    - The building blocks to a top defense (great NT, All-World CB, Decent LBs)

He missed the playoffs for various reasons, but there's no denying he left the team in much better shape than when he first got here.

As for pushing to get his guy, Mangini didn't have to trade picks to get his first round bust. Rex gave up picks and players for his (Sanchez).
    He had a QB, he couldn't stay healthy. People continually seem to forget that Pennington was an above average QB when he was healthy.