Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Two Game Manager QB's Go To This Year's Superbowl?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Two Game Manager QB's Go To This Year's Superbowl?

Someone in another thread just called Matt Schaub a game manager. One of the mock drafts shows the Superbowl teams being the Falcons and the Texans with the Texans winning. I thought since pre-season that the Texans were going to the SB and I tried to bandwagon on them but it didn't work after they got that free TD against Detroit.

I've never liked the Falcons, I think they are poorly coached and would have already been in the SB if not for Mike Smith. And Matt Ryan with all the weapons he has around him should be surpassing everyone's records.

So will this be the year that the Superbowl has these two non high-octane offenses get to the Superbowl? Is this the year that undoes the truism of needing an elite QB to win the championship? Will it be a snooze-fest? Will the NFL allow it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Schaub has been in more of a game manager role ever since Wade Philips got there. Texans have focused more on the running game and have played good D. I did call him a game-manager, but he has not always been. When the Texans had terrible Ds for all those years, Schaub would sling it all over the field. Even his 500 yard passing game this season proves that he is more than that, even if he mostly plays that role these days.

As for Ryan? Whether or not you consider him elite, and he's close, he is no way shape or form a game manager. The Falcons are a passing based attack and really struggle to run the ball this season. Ryan throws it all over the yard

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Someone in another thread just called Matt Schaub a game manager. One of the mock drafts shows the Superbowl teams being the Falcons and the Texans with the Texans winning. I thought since pre-season that the Texans were going to the SB and I tried to bandwagon on them but it didn't work after they got that free TD against Detroit.

I've never liked the Falcons, I think they are poorly coached and would have already been in the SB if not for Mike Smith. And Matt Ryan with all the weapons he has around him should be surpassing everyone's records.

So will this be the year that the Superbowl has these two non high-octane offenses get to the Superbowl? Is this the year that undoes the truism of needing an elite QB to win the championship? Will it be a snooze-fest? Will the NFL allow it?
    "Game Manager" type QB's do not throw for over 4,000 yards and 25+ TD's.

Matt Schaub is hardly a game manager.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt Schaub owns the modern era record for passing yards in a game.

Anybody who thinks he's a game manager is an idiot.

Kubiak runs the hell out of the ball because they are 2-3 deep with RB's and have one of the top 5 defenses in the NFL.

As Schaub has shown this year, last year, and the year prior, he can light it up.

Ryan is more of a product of his receivers than his own excellence.

Neither are game managers though. Although Baltimore should make Flacco one. That dude stinks.

I cringe badly when I see that both Flacco and Fitzpatrick, with the running games those teams have, with more passing attempts than combined running attempts across all backs.

Buffalo needs to fire its head coach for not gutting games out with the best RB tandem possibly in the NFL and Baltimore is lost like the Jets until they realize what Flacco really is:

Not elite.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 12-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, are they elite?

Will you enjoy watching this matchup in the SB if that's what comes to 'pass' (heh)?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, are they elite?

Not Brady, Rodgers, Brees elite, but both are top 10 NFL QB's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Smith is actually a really good coach. The Falcons are probably one of the best coaches/owned/operated teams in the league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Not Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Manning, Manning elite, but both are top 10 NFL QB's.
    This is fix'd.

After the top 6, who are all hall of Famers (Rodgers is the only one who isn't shoo-in at this point) I'd probably put up Schaub.

After that you have at least 3 guys who are products of transcendent Wide Receiver talent:

Dalton, Ryan, and Stafford.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, are they elite?
    No, but they're both pretty damn good.

There are only 4 "elite" QB's in the game right now IMO.

Rodgers, Brady, Brees and Peyton

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Roethlisberger was on pace for MVP prior to his injury. He was having an absolutely devastating year. He has two rings. I don't know how people neglect him.

And Eli is on pace for his 4th straight 4,000 yard season, has two rings, and has made the greatest pass in NFL history.

There are 6 elite QB's in the NFL. Both Eli and Ben could retire now and make the hall of Fame. Rodgers on the other hand would be the hardest to elect.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Roethlisberger was on pace for MVP prior to his injury. He was having an absolutely devastating year. He has two rings. I don't know how people neglect him.

And Eli is on pace for his 4th straight 4,000 yard season, has two rings, and has made the greatest pass in NFL history.

There are 6 elite QB's in the NFL. Both Eli and Ben could retire now and make the hall of Fame. Rodgers on the other hand would be the hardest to elect.
    I don't put either in the elite class.

Just as I didn't put guys like Phil Sims, Kenny Anderson or Dan Fouts in the same group as Montana, Elway, or Marino back in the 80's.

Roethlisberger and Eli are in the next tier. The "very good" tier.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't put either in the elite class.

Just as I didn't put guys like Phil Sims, Kenny Anderson or Dan Fouts in the same group as Montana, Elway, or Marino back in the 80's.

Roethlisberger and Eli are in the next tier. The "very good" tier.
    Eli statistically is in that tier though.

Ben is a different type of animal altogether.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't the Cards pick off Ryan 5 times?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    And?

Bad performances from Ryan are rare.

With Sanchez, it's basically a weekly thing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

OK so what does that to the argument that you MUST have an elite QB to even sniff the Superbowl? Will this be a boring SB without elite QB's and will the NFL stand for it? (assuming it happens of course which a lot of informed people seem to think is possible)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Well he did also throw for like 300+ yards, won the game, and he certainly wasn't benched. The guy is not on the level of the Rodgers and Brady's of the world, but he's a really good player overall and usually is a big reason why his team wins when they do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Schaub and Ryan are not game managers. They are both in that second tier after the Mannings, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben.

With the emergence of Foster, Schaub hasn't been asked to do as much the past couple of years. He is a very capable QB. And all Ryan needs to do is win a playoff game (preferably on the road) and then there will be no more knocks on him. He hasn't been as bad in the playoffs as people make it out. He ran into two buzzsaws in the 2010 Packers and 2011 Giants. Can't kill him for his rookie year playoff game, they overachieved so much that year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK so what does that to the argument that you MUST have an elite QB to even sniff the Superbowl? Will this be a boring SB without elite QB's and will the NFL stand for it? (assuming it happens of course which a lot of informed people seem to think is possible)
    You don't have to have an "elite" QB to win the Superbowl.

But you need a pretty damn good one.

You sure as hell aren't winning a Superbowl with a QB who struggles to complete 50% of his passes, routinely makes terrible decisions, and turns the ball over at an alarming rate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt Schaub is pretty darn far away from a game manager.

A game manager is someone like Alex Smith or Mark Sanchez, not Matt Schaub.

While Schaub is not an elite passer, he's still a good quarterback. Top 10-12. Good enough to win a Super Bowl or Bowls with Houston's ground game and defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If your QB is capable of winning a Super Bowl he is elite. Ben and Eli have won Super Bowls and therefore are elite.

I like your thinking.

As such, until it is proven otherwise (since only 6 QB's have won the last 10 Super Bowls, many times against each other,) you absolutely require a top 6 to possibly top 10 QB to win a Super Bowl in today's NFL.