Thread: Forget the Fiscal Cliff, the Jets are going over the Football Cliff!

Jets Insider VIP

Forget the Fiscal Cliff, the Jets are going over the Football Cliff!

It's unfortunate that in early November Jets fans were already being forced to start looking at 2013. My bigger concern and question is, what if 2013 isn't any better?

On offense...

- The Jets have 3 QBs on the roster but potentially no starter.
    - We have a couple of emerging WRs (Kerley, Hill) but no true #1, even if/when Santonio Holmes returns.
    - Our starting TE is average, our starting RB is less than average.
    - The offensive line continues to be steady and talented.

On defense...

- We have a talented and veteran (if slightly aging) secondary but Revis' level of play after his return is an unknown, as is his contract situation. Cro has been great. Contract / free agency status of our Safeties is also a concern.
    - Our LBs are slow and old.
    - We have a young, talented and emerging defensive line (potentially the strength of the team)

Looking back, it's clear to me that our best team was that 2010 team that went into Pittsburgh and fell on its face in the AFCCG. That was a Super Bowl caliber team and the best we've had since 1998 and 1986. The Jets were an improved team from 2009, and guys like Braylon Edwards, LT, Holmes, a healthy Keller and a stout O-line that included Damien Woody gave us enough on offense for Sanchez to be effective (and don't forget Tony Richardson).

In 2011 well fell short with Wayne Hunter and Plaxico replacing Woody and Braylon to go 8-8. In 2012, we tried to get by cheaply again by replacing Plaxico with a rookie and getting lucky with the Austin Howard project but injuries to Holmes and Keller (for several weeks) have left us with an offense that doesn't scare anyone and puts up 7 points in a victory.

So, how many of the things I highlighted above can be addressed in the offseason? Certainly not all of them. I think there's a real chance that the Jets are stuck in the mud through 2013.

And seriously, the NFL is a passing league. How can the Jets expect to compete without a passrush on defense, having a bottom 10 QB, and no true WR or TE weapon. Just about every team has at least one primetime weapon....a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Gronkowski, Adrian Peterson, etc. And if they don't, they have a cast of average guys but a QB like Drew Brees throwing to them. We.Have.No.One. The only people scared by the Jets offensive playmakers are the Jets fans. And the passrush - Smoke and mirrors worked for a little while but most teams no realize our passrush is a smoke bomb with no fire behind it.

(rant over)

Jets Insider VIP
    What's with the color coding, are we all Sanchez now?

I think Woody has checked out till 2014. I think he has no expectations till then after the AFC game losses and explains the 'moves' the team has made in the interim.

I am sad because Bill Murray is gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    What's with the color coding, are we all Sanchez now?

I think Woody has checked out till 2014. I think he has no expectations till then after the AFC game losses and explains the 'moves' the team has made in the interim.

I am sad because Bill Murray is gone.
    Sorry, I was color coding to show positives, negatives and meh!

Most importantly, Bill Murray will soon be back. The Cardinals are the Jets West.

PS - Keep Mckayla. She looks like a dirty, dirty girl.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 12-05-2012 at 02:32 PM.