Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Detroit councilwoman to Obama: We voted for you, now bail us out"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Excuse?

It is the truth. every President/Governor/Mayor has done it. It aint pretty but it is the truth.

You think the Koch Brothers donate tens of millions of dollars to political candidates because it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling inside?

You think Hollywood studios donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to politicians just for the heck of it?

You think President Obama is the first and only President to "help out" his constituants?

Really?

Do you think President Obama is an Evil, "moslem", anti-christ, communist too?
    You know damn well what I mean. Obama was the hope and change candidate, he was supposed to shake up Washington, and introduce and element of transparency like never before. And when he couldn't achieve that, and when he managed to do even less, the default response from Democrats was automatically, "Oh yeah well George Bush..." It's only tiring because it's so predictable.

And I find this response -- as if you are lecturing a child -- to be insulting.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    You know damn well what I mean. Obama was the hope and change candidate, he was supposed to shake up Washington, and introduce and element of transparency like never before. And when he couldn't achieve that, and when he managed to do even less, the default response from Democrats was automatically, "Oh yeah well George Bush..." It's only tiring because it's so predictable.

And I find this response -- as if you are lecturing a child -- to be insulting.
    Really?

This entire thread is based on a silly premise. Thus the lecture.

You are shocked because a President did not live up to his campaign promises?

But then you get mad when I point out that other recent Presidents who did not live up to their campaign promises.

Ex:
    President Bush II promised to get the US out of the "nation building business". But then he did just that and enriched his pals while doing it. But I guess he had a h@rd-on for Iraq so it was okay... but i digress

You realize that these guys are Presidents and not kings, right?

And they do not work in a vacuum, right?

You are holding a President you really dislike to a different standard than other Presidents.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Actually, when I posted the thread it was to point out the stupidity of the councilwoman's remarks, not about the stupidity of President Obama.

It's one thing to have people talking about not having to pay their bills and getting free "Obama phones". It's quite another when elected officials publicly state that there is a "quid pro quo" for helping someone get elected and I might I add, so eloquently too.

How the hell does one even use quid pro quo in the same statement as bacon?

As if the every other President in history did not “help out” their constituents.

Have you forgotten that George Bush almost immediately started filling the strategic petroleum reserve (and driving up the cost of gas)?

Or that The Pentagon Budget went from $300 billion to $650 billion during President Bush II’s 8 years?

How about Mitt “I’ll give you a 20% tax cut but balancing the budget is the most iportant thing” Romney?

PS... I supported filling the reserve but oh my, folks who voted For President Bush made a little more cash that year.

The military is all from Texas? Who knew?
    The strategic reserve is owned by the Bush family? Shocking.
    The depleted military budget went up? Let's scrap the Navy and make up for it.

Really?

You are holding a President you really dislike to a different standard than other Presidents.
    Funny, I've yet to see you (or any liberal here) hold Obama to the same standard they held Bush, especially on foreign policy, warfare, personal rights and privacy, and internation aid.

I guess that double-standard thing works both ways for alot of you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    The Pubs losing to this guy is like a kid voting for Santa Claus instead of his parents.
    fixed for truth

who you gonna vote for: guy who gives you free stuff, or mean people who tell you to go to bed on time and eat your vegetables?

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    fixed for truth

who you gonna vote for: guy who gives you free stuff, or mean people who tell you to go to bed on time and eat your vegetables?

Silly rhetoric by the far-right.

Been listening to alot of Limbaugh and Hannity since the election as well as Fox News. Rove's memo clearly has made the rounds and everyone is firing off the soundbyte "you can't beat Santa claus" whatever.

I work my ass off, make money, save money and live below my means and I voted for Barack Obama twice. Where's my bailout? Oh yeah, I never got it and I never got my trickle down money from Reagan and the Bush boys either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    fixed for truth

Great example!!!

A fairy tale vs. the real world.

The fairies lost this time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Funny, I've yet to see you (or any liberal here) hold Obama to the same standard they held Bush, especially on foreign policy, warfare, personal rights and privacy, and internation aid.

Are you saying there is a double standard on double standards? Does that make it a quadruple standard?

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

You think anything President Obama has done compares with the second Iraq war?

There was absolutely no reason to invade Iraq but we did and as a consequence the effort to find Osama Bin Laden was short changed. Bin Laden was the man everyone agreed was the leader in the 911 attacks. But the Bush administration sent hundreds of thousands of troops into Iraq instead. A fraction of that military might was sent into Afghanistan. The Bush administration used the prevailing 911 “blood lust” among Americans to get us to attack the wrong place for the wrong reasons. When we needed a calm and calculating President we had a guy looking out for Cold War arms manufacturers and the oil companies.

If the Bush administration’s actions following 9/11 were a short story instead of reality it would be considered implausible and never get published.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Classic.
    +1

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

Can't just stay on topic. Have to make excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Where's my bailout?
    Unless we know how much you make, what industry you work in, where you live and what public services you partake of (none of which we know), we can't tell you where your "bailout" is.
    What we can tell you is you probably don't pay very much in net Federal income taxes, and you probably consume more in public services over your lifetime than you will contribute during that lifetime. In short, the odds say you will not come close to paying ANY share, much less a "fair share" for our collective society.

The same goes for ~50% of us in here, statisticly speaking.