Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This tells me a couple things.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    1. The growing concept of money>>>>>winning. And its not just the Jets. The Cowboys have done it forever and college football is getting into the act as well.

2. It makes me still leery of firing Rex Ryan if they end up 7-9 or over. I just go back to when the Chargers fired Marty after 14-2 and have done nothing with Norv Turner since. Unless Rex has a bomb of a season, then there is no point in firing him, Plus we would have to start over which would take another few years.

3. Mark will have a very short leash on him Sunday.

4. Anyone saying Rex is stupid for doing this should refer to the first point.

5. I'm now completely convinced that Woody Johnson was solely behind the Tim Tebow signing. And Tim also is to blame because he could have gone to Jacksonville and he chose not to.
    Elway refuted the idea that Tim could go where he wanted to. He said that he wanted to make it as palpable as possible for Tebow as a reward for last season, but that he would be traded to the team that offered up the most for Denver.

To believe that he chose to go and B/U Sanchez rather than compete for the starting job in Jacksonville is a stretch.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Elway refuted the idea that Tim could go where he wanted to. He said that he wanted to make it as palpable as possible for Tebow as a reward for last season, but that he would be traded to the team that offered up the most for Denver.

To believe that he chose to go and B/U Sanchez rather than compete for the starting job in Jacksonville is a stretch.
    Not sure it is. It's been reported the Jax football people didn't want Tebow just the owner. While its become pretty clear Woody also wanted Tebow but the Jets football people didn't object.

Francesa has speculated there is a tie in between Rex and Tebow having the same agent. Not sure if true but its his speculation

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Not sure it is. It's been reported the Jax football people didn't want Tebow just the owner. While its become pretty clear Woody also wanted Tebow but the Jets football people didn't object.

Francesa has speculated there is a tie in between Rex and Tebow having the same agent. Not sure if true but its his speculation
    sorry, I don't understand your point. I was responding to a statement by Eckesg1 saying that Tebow was responsible for the situation he finds himself in in NY. I contradicted it saying that he went to the highest bidder per elway..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts

Rex took the easy way out in filling in his staff by sticking with Shotty and Westy when he took the head gig. Poor choice, although he got lucky that Westoff happened to be THE MAN and was already there.

Sparano - Rex was "blown away" when he met and interviewed him. Choosing him over Callahan and Haley if I remember correctly. Sparano, a guy who split playcalling only one year in the NFL before getting this gig. I thing Rex was influenced that Parcells thought so highly of him when he hired him in Miami.

Woody wanted Tebow for the PR but Rex bought in bigtime with the thought that Sparano would make it work with the wildcat since it was run (not by him) in Miami.

Rex has made poor choices for this team and continues to do so with starting sanchez this week.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman21 View Post
    My thoughts

Rex took the easy way out in filling in his staff by sticking with Shotty and Westy when he took the head gig. Poor choice, although he got lucky that Westoff happened to be THE MAN and was already there.

Sparano - Rex was "blown away" when he met and interviewed him. Choosing him over Callahan and Haley if I remember correctly. Sparano, a guy who split playcalling only one year in the NFL before getting this gig. I thing Rex was influenced that Parcells thought so highly of him when he hired him in Miami.

Woody wanted Tebow for the PR but Rex bought in bigtime with the thought that Sparano would make it work with the wildcat since it was run (not by him) in Miami.

Rex has made poor choices for this team and continues to do so with starting sanchez this week.
    No you don't remember correctly. Haley bowed out before even getting an interview.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the bottom line is this. I just can't logically fathom firing a coach who has not had a horrible season with a team. Edwards and Mangini both had 4-12 seasons.

Rex hasn't even come close to that magnitude of failure.

I just can't fathom it being done.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    the bottom line is this. I just can't logically fathom firing a coach who has not had a horrible season with a team. Edwards and Mangini both had 4-12 seasons.

Rex hasn't even come close to that magnitude of failure.

I just can't fathom it being done.
    Carrol got fired from the pats after going 8-8, Marty was fired after going 14-2.

The record matters less than the direction the team is going. I don't think he gets fired this year, the new GM would not want to stradle the new guy of his choice with this team after this offseason. He will let Rex take it down one more notch and then bring in his guy.

He will make a big show about giving Rex a new shot, but the gun won't be loaded.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman21 View Post
    My thoughts

Haley was brought in for 'interview' after Sparano was named OC.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...ceast&id=37412
    Last edited by C Mart; 12-06-2012 at 08:52 PM.