Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much of Sanchez' regression is on his bad receiving corps???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

How much of Sanchez' regression is on his bad receiving corps???

I think it is fair to say that over the first couple of years Mark Sanchez had shown a lot of flashes and he showed development from year to year. His TD to INT numbers, his completion percentage, total yards and his QB rating point that way, even though it were small jumps but the curve still went up.

Now this year he has totally regressed.. You dont really have to look at the numbers, we all know the story. But when we compare the talent he had to throw to the last couple of years and the receivers this years, well, there is no comparison. I looked up a lot of videos and games from years past, the playoff games for example, and it is amazing how much of a drop in talent our receiving corps went through. And even back then, it was arguable that the receivers we dressed weren't only above average as a group.

But nonetheless, this year Dustin Keller and Santonio Holmes missed a combined 12 games so far and will likely both be out the rest of the year. The emergance of Kerley is a welcome sight but other than that we got a rookie (Stephen Hill) and two journeymen at receiver (Chaz Schilens, Clyde Gates). It is much harder if those guys do not get open and cant beat anyone one on one.

Dont get me wrong, Im extremely dissapointed by Sanchez making too many mistakes and not putting the team on his back. But with a new system and a terrible group of receivers, he isnt really in a position to thrive in. He is no Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, who might be able to elevate the players we have, but I dont think many other QBs in this league would fare better with this receiving group.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The major points in his regression, imo, aren't due to the lack of talent around him.

Lack of receiving talent doesn't explain why he..

- crumbles when his first read isn't open
    - doesn't know when he's been sacked because his pocket awareness is that bad
    - doesn't understand that it's ok to throw the ball away when there's nothing there instead of taking the sack/forcing it and throwing a pick
    - sees nothing wrong with throwing a check down when the receiver is basically in a crowd of linemen
    - doesn't see the entire field
    - runs into his linemen's ass

That **** is on Mark.
    Last edited by McGinley; 12-06-2012 at 12:45 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    54% 55% 57% 55%

Those are sanchez's completion % over his career.

Doesnt matter who the WRs were, who the backs were, etc.

When we had the #1 rushing offense in the league, he was under 60%

When we had the #1 offensive line in football he was under 60%

When we had Cotch, Braylon, and Holmes he was under 60%

When we had holmes, kerley and hill, he was under 60%

He also has averages SIX FUMBLES per year. That number is atrocious and it doesnt matter who the WRs are, that is attributed to feel in the pocket and taking a sack when you have to, something that he hasnt learned in 4 seasons.

In his 4th season he has FOUR RED ZONE INTs and more total INTs then TDs. Good QBs dont throw red zone picks, whether they have wayne/harrison or chaz/kerley...its on the QB

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure there's some amount of blame on the receivers, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on how he has been developed, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on the OC's he's had, and I'm sure there's some amount of blame on his QB coach. I'm also sure there's some amount of blame on his mental makeup, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on his experience or lack thereof, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on his lifestyle, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on the weather, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on his diet, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on the overall level of gastric distress of fans in the stadium, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on his childhood, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on his dating past, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on Obama, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on Romney, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on Justin Bieber, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on big gulp soft drinks, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on Ray Ray 19, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on Fireman Ed, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on beer sh!ts, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on Pop Tarts, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on me for actually believing in him at one time, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on you for asking this ridiculous question, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on SAR I because he drives a Beemer, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on Tech Jet because I'm pretty certain he's mildly retarded, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on Jersey Shore because they're at fault for just about everything wrong with the world today, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on terrorists, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on Canadians, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on the stink on my middle finger, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on Eva Longoria for the stink she left on Mark's middle finger, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on Belicheck, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on Nachos, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on hot dogs, I'm sure there's some amount of blame on...............

Feel free to keep adding to the list. The bottom line is he sucks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    when can we stop with the excuses

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    The major points in his regression, imo, aren't due to the lack of talent around him.

Lack of receiving talent doesn't explain why he..

- crumbles when his first read isn't open
    - doesn't know when he's been sacked because his pocket awareness is that bad
    - doesn't understand that it's ok to throw the ball away when there's nothing there instead of taking the sack
    - sees nothing wrong with throwing a check down when the receiver is basically in a crowd of linemen
    - doesn't see the entire field
    - runs into his linemen's ass

That **** is on Mark.
    A lot of this is due to the talent he's been surrounded with.

Sanchez is not a franchise-put-the-team-on-his-back-and-win-games QB like Rogers and Brady and Manning. He never has been and he never will be. He needs a good supporting cast.

He needs a solid running game, solid WR's, solid ST's and a solid defense to help get good field postion.

He has NONE of that this year. None. He had that in 2009 and 2010. That's why he looks lost and makes terrible decisions and mistakes. He's not capable of making things happen unless he has the skill around him to make his job easier.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kerley's been running free all season and he hasn't dropped a ball yet. Only time I saw him blanketed was the mismatch against Petersen last week. Even when Cromartie and Hill burned the opposing secondaries deep, Sanchez turned it into an incompletion or turnover. You can't just look at guys on paper and say they stink because they lack much of an NFL resume. On the field they are getting open. Sanchez just keeps missing them or turning it over.

It's worth pointing out that in the two years Sanchez had with good receiving options in 2009 and 2010, he still threw more total INTs than TDs and completed only about 55% of his throws. You want to say he was a rookie and 2nd year player? Well I've seen some rookies and 2nd year players recently that were drafted lower than Sanchez do way way better (Dalton, Wilson)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

Sanchez is not a franchise-put-the-team-on-his-back-and-win-games QB like Rogers and Brady and Manning. He never has been and he never will be. He needs a good supporting cast.

He needs a solid running game, solid WR's, solid ST's and a solid defense to help get good field postion.

He has NONE of that this year. None. He had that in 2009 and 2010. That's why he looks lost and makes terrible decisions and mistakes. He's not capable of making things happen unless he has the skill around him to make his job easier.

Same play he threw the red zone pick, I believe.

So, no, he sucks REGARDLESS.
    Last edited by McGinley; 12-06-2012 at 12:55 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get this notion people have that Sanchez was somehow good in 2009 and 2010. He was a bottom 3 QB in the NFL in 2009. Indisputable. He was bottom 10 in 2010, although maybe you could argue middle of the pack if you factored in playoffs. So surrounded by a great D, great running game, and very good coaching in 2010, Sanchez peaked as the 20th best QB in the league. That's what you want in a guy drafted #5 overall

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Was it the WRs or Olines fault when we rolled him out, gave him protection and hill was wide open in the middle of the endzone?

Because on that play, he pump-faked TWICE to keller and then THREW TO keller, shockingly it was intercepted.

Who do we blame that one on?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post

Same play he threw a the red zone pick, I believe.

So, no, he sucks REGARDLESS.
    What's funny is that even if he saw Hill, he probably would have been late on the throw and #54 would have slid over and picked it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I think it is fair to say that over the first couple of years Mark Sanchez had shown a lot of flashes and he showed development from year to year. His TD to INT numbers, his completion percentage, total yards and his QB rating point that way, even though it were small jumps but the curve still went up.

Now this year he has totally regressed.. You dont really have to look at the numbers, we all know the story. But when we compare the talent he had to throw to the last couple of years and the receivers this years, well, there is no comparison. I looked up a lot of videos and games from years past, the playoff games for example, and it is amazing how much of a drop in talent our receiving corps went through. And even back then, it was arguable that the receivers we dressed weren't only above average as a group.

But nonetheless, this year Dustin Keller and Santonio Holmes missed a combined 12 games so far and will likely both be out the rest of the year. The emergance of Kerley is a welcome sight but other than that we got a rookie (Stephen Hill) and two journeymen at receiver (Chaz Schilens, Clyde Gates). It is much harder if those guys do not get open and cant beat anyone one on one.

Dont get me wrong, Im extremely dissapointed by Sanchez making too many mistakes and not putting the team on his back. But with a new system and a terrible group of receivers, he isnt really in a position to thrive in. He is no Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, who might be able to elevate the players we have, but I dont think many other QBs in this league would fare better with this receiving group.
    No one should expect him to thrive with this group, and the effect his WR will have on his completion percentage, but his pocket presence, the ability to read a Defense and not securing the ball are all skills that are his independently. His lack of consistency is frustrating. Sometimes he rolls out and hits a guy in stride 20yds down the field and the next instance he throws the ball 3yds in front of a guy sitting in a zone.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    What's funny is that even if he saw Hill, he probably would have been late on the throw and #54 would have slid over and picked it.
    lol, probably.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Decision making.

Field vision.

Awareness.

Accuracy.

Or lack thereof is why Sanchez is not a good QB. Given a talented roster he would be a game manager. He will never be a franchise QB. He has problems that are for the most part independent of coaching and surrounding talent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Because on that play, he pump-faked TWICE to keller and then THREW TO keller, shockingly it was intercepted.

Who do we blame that one on?
    Lack of front office support.

1 1/2 years goes by faster than people think. It's a conflicted message to send to our QB. I mean, they say they have his back - but how can he really know it without a multi-year extension?

We need to give Sanchez a chance!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Lack of front office support.

1 1/2 years goes by faster than people think. It's a conflicted message to send to our QB. I mean, they say they have his back - but how can he really know it without a multi-year extension?

We need to give Sanchez a chance!!!!!
    A chance? Sir, stopping short of anything other than another extension would be CRIMINAL!

DA CLUTCH KING! DA SANCHIZE! DA FU-CHUH!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

This really shows how clueless some are. Also shows how we blind ourselves of the truth to hold out hope.

You can't really have regression when you sucked from the get-go. Which is the case with Sanchez. We hid his suckiness with a #1 D and top rushing attack. We didn't ask him to do much at all. What changed was, in order to get to the next level your QB must do more. As soon as we asked Mark to do more he sh!t the bed. He really isn't good at anything. In fact, he sucks at most. Look at all the avg to sh!tty QB's in this league, they all have their moments to shine. Game winning drive, playoff wins, etc...Doesn't mean much. Facts and stats don't lie.

Sanchez was never a good QB and the numbers prove it. You can only hide it for so long before you're exposed.

There is no need to think to deep into this. He's a bad QB and always has been outside of a few games in 4 years.

Rex Grossman won some huge playoffs games and took his team to the SB. If he did that in NY, many would have him pegged as the next best thing and would never give up on him.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 12-06-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I presume this is a defense of Sanchez but to me it's an inditement. If this is the best his defenders have (and I think it is) then it's tme for him to go, period.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had no idea receivers threw into double and triple coverage as well as fumbled the ball from behind the OL.

Who knew.

Fact is, good QB's make their receivers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny how you stick Brady and Manning with any receiver and it doesn't make a difference though.