View Poll Results: The Raiders might bring back Gruden. Who do you want to coach the Jets next year?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Rex (it's a personnel, GM or other problem)

    54 41.86%
  • Bring back Mangini (we need discipline again)

    9 6.98%
  • Bring back Herm (we need Barbeques again)

    2 1.55%
  • Go get Bill Cowher (I need to see that scowl on his face at MetLife stadium)

    37 28.68%
  • Get a new veteran/retread (Bring in a former NFL HC other than Cowher)

    16 12.40%
  • Get a new rookie HC (bring in a newbie like Herm, Mangini and Rex were)

    11 8.53%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 84

Thread: Who would you want as "HC of the NYJ" in 2013?

  1. #61
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Why anyone would want Gruden or Cowher is beyond me. You guys think one of those two are likely to end the FACT that no coach has won a super bowl with multiple teams?

    And are you willing to give Cowher 12 years to do it?


    Even though I disagree with it, getting rid of Rex is fine unless you aren't trying to bring in a replacement that is going to attempt to conquer history. It's just not gonna happen. Especially with this team.
    So, by your logic, we should NOT hire a coach that has won a Super Bowl. Because he has used up all his good football Karma. Never mind that multiple coaches have BEEN to a Super Bowl with more than one team.

    That's like saying the Broncos should not have picked up Peyton Manning, because no QB has ever won a SB with more than one team (although Kurt Warner came really close).

    And yes, if Cowher had the team playing hard, and was not playing favorites with key personal, and was winning division titles and playoff games, I would give him 12 years to win a SB. You hold it against him that he lost to the Cowboys with freakin Neil O'Donnell? I'm amazed he got there with Neil O'Donnell

  2. #62
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    612
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    So, by your logic, we should NOT hire a coach that has won a Super Bowl. Because he has used up all his good football Karma. Never mind that multiple coaches have BEEN to a Super Bowl with more than one team.

    That's like saying the Broncos should not have picked up Peyton Manning, because no QB has ever won a SB with more than one team (although Kurt Warner came really close).

    And yes, if Cowher had the team playing hard, and was not playing favorites with key personal, and was winning division titles and playoff games, I would give him 12 years to win a SB. You hold it against him that he lost to the Cowboys with freakin Neil O'Donnell? I'm amazed he got there with Neil O'Donnell
    By your logic, are you amazed that Rex got to 2 AFCCG with Mark Sanchez?

  3. #63
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    By your logic, are you amazed that Rex got to 2 AFCCG with Mark Sanchez?
    I was very impressed that Rex got there with Sanchez 2 times. I am on the fence about Rex in general, I really would like to see how the next few weeks play out. About Sanchez, and about how he handles the younger players. If Sanchez has another 3 turnover game, McElroy has to play. See if he is even capable of starting in the NFL. Then have an open competition next year. If Coples keeps playing 13 snaps a game, and his "mad backer" keeps playing 60 plays a game, then I have a bigger problem.

    My biggest problems are more with personnel than Rex. Mike T stated on more than one occasion that he wanted bigger priced player starting and less money on backups. To me, that creates complacency as players know they will not lose playing time if they don't play well.

    Rex, in my opinion, is too much of a players coach. Listen to the old Cowboys talk about Jimmy, or people talk about Parcells, or BB, or even Walsh. If you screwed around, you were going to sit, or get cut. Players coaches don't seem to keep teams as long, the players start getting lazy too fast. And, again in my opinion, it is easier to start off strict and then loosen up rather than start off lax, and try to become more disciplined.

  4. #64
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    the jets need to get a football guy as their gm. put tanny back at capologist and keep rex as coach. the gm would start evaluating the team with regard to the type of team he wants to build and then get the right players. nothing wrong with rex's defense and his ground and pound works too but the overall team needs to be controlled by the gm.

  5. #65
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,149
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want Rex gone- I wouldn't be opposed to Mangini or Herm but there's no chance either of them will coach again. I don't want Norv, Schotty Sr., or Andy Reid.

  6. #66
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,383
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we do get rid of Rex (most likely due to a new GM) I think Greg Roman of SF would be a good option as HC. I think he could have early success with our current offensive personnel (look what he's been able to do with Alex Smith) but look to move to a more passing oriented attack as time goes by and we get better weapons on O.

    Not sure how he'd do on D, but he's been around SF and has seen the importance of a strong D; might be able to grab a co-ordinator from SF too to become D-Co.

    Overall I just see SF as a successful version of what Rex tried to do in NY - play mistake free, efficient offense predicated on a strong running game, and back it up with a strong D that creates favourable field position.

  7. #67
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    I want Rex gone- I wouldn't be opposed to Mangini or Herm but there's no chance either of them will coach again. I don't want Norv, Schotty Sr., or Andy Reid.
    Can you please state a logical reason for wanting Herm Edwards to be the coach here again. Id like to see the reasons for that thought

  8. #68
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mangini would be the logical choice. It took him one year to clear up the cap hell the Browns were in. Plus the core guys Harris, Mangold, Revis, ferguson would welcome back some sanity and discipline to the team. Finally. No one but Mangini would came back to deal with the QB mess. No way Cowher would ever step int this circus.

  9. #69
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Sweet Sheezus! Marv Levy? Are we serious?
    I like livin' life on the edge.

  10. #70
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,705
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex

  11. #71
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    He's turned down over 4 million a year from lots of good college programs. He is God there and eventually they will be in the Pac 12/14/16 whatever they call it. Only program I could maybe see him leave for is Oregon.

    As for the other coaches, O'brien isnt leaving Penn State and David Shaw isnt leaving Stanford. Harbaugh wanted to be an NFL Coach (turned down a lot of Michigan $$$).

    If you want to poach a college coach, I think our best bet is Chip Kelly. Oregon has rumored sanctions coming and he flirted with the Bucs last year.
    Agree, it's wishful thinking on my part. You never know though, I never thought Schiano would leave Rutgers...

  12. #72
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    David Shaw

  13. #73
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,993
    Post Thanks / Like
    andy reid?

  14. #74
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    612
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    I want Rex gone- I wouldn't be opposed to Mangini or Herm but there's no chance either of them will coach again. I don't want Norv, Schotty Sr., or Andy Reid.
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Marv Levy
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    andy reid?
    Im so very glad this is a fan forum and not the office where woody and co. are throwing out names for potential candidates....

  15. #75
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Im so very glad this is a fan forum and not the office where woody and co. are throwing out names for potential candidates....
    If this was the office, I wouldn't be effin off on JI. I'd be righting this ship!

  16. #76
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although I think Rex is certainly playing with fire, I do still want him back. Rex sticking with Sanchez is pretty much giving the impression that he's "BEGGING" to get fired. But once again, Rex is loyal to a fault.

    If the GM (whoever that may be) opts to cut bait with Sanchez, they'd be doing the team huge favor and would force Rex to move on.

  17. #77
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep Rex!!

    This team is not very talented, that we may end up around .500 is a credit to his coaching ability.

  18. #78
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    andy reid?
    In matters related to personal grooming and overall health issues? Without question.

    Landing anywhere near this franchise? I'll kill everybody, including myself.

  19. #79
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    Cowher

    People actually want to keep Rex? Jeez...
    Agreed. Rex makes Bozo look like Winston Churchill.

  20. #80
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the idiocy of fans.

    The same fans whining for Cowher, are the same fans who would have demanded he be fired before before he won a Super Bowl in his 14th year.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us