View Poll Results: The Raiders might bring back Gruden. Who do you want to coach the Jets next year?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Rex (it's a personnel, GM or other problem)

54 41.86%
  • Bring back Mangini (we need discipline again)

9 6.98%
  • Bring back Herm (we need Barbeques again)

2 1.55%
  • Go get Bill Cowher (I need to see that scowl on his face at MetLife stadium)

37 28.68%
  • Get a new veteran/retread (Bring in a former NFL HC other than Cowher)

16 12.40%
  • Get a new rookie HC (bring in a newbie like Herm, Mangini and Rex were)

11 8.53%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would you want as "HC of the NYJ" in 2013?

Jets Insider VIP

Question Who would you want as "HC of the NYJ" in 2013?

The Raiders are rumored to be looking at bringing Gruden back. Would you want the Jets to bring back a former HC (sorry fellas, Parcells not an option)?

Poll (pole) coming!
    Last edited by jetstream23; 12-06-2012 at 01:33 AM.

If Rex is gone, bring in Jay Gruden or Chip Kelly

can i answer someone else?

just let it be someone else

Jets Insider VIP
    Cowher or Gruden, preferably.

Cohwer, and Gruden are not options, neither would want to come into this situation, with the salary cap hell, and no talent at the most important position.

Whether you like Rex, or not he is our best option next year.

Banned
    I think it will take a miracle for Rex to be back. Either one of the Grudens works.

Bill Cowher gets my vote

I would go with:
    Cowher
    marty schottenheimer
    Mike Zimmer
    Eric Mangini

In that order

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I would go with:
    Cowher
    marty schottenheimer
    Mike Zimmer
    Eric Mangini

In that order
    Decent candidates, but at 69 I think Marty is not a day to day guy anymore. I like Zimmer as he ran both the 3-4 and 4-3 during his tenure and either system on the players.

I am sure Mangini would be better the 2nd time around, I don't think woody could sell it.

Does it matter? Woody loves Rex, so it's going to be a season or two of this crap.

Practice Squad
    I would venture to say 75% of this board would run Cower out of town in 5 years. I would vote for Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Does it matter? Woody loves Rex, so it's going to be a season or two of this crap.
    It is going to be a season or two of crap if you exhume Lombardi. if anyone thinks that replacing Rex with someone else this offseason is going to have a big effect on the jets in 2013 they are sadly mistaken.

Any change is looking at 2014 and beyond, this year and next are transition years as the team replaces it talent level.
    If you don't think Rex is the man for the job long term, fine. but no one should be expected to have success with this team next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Hopefully they will bring in Jay Gruden. A bright offensive mind who knows how to groom a young qb.

Bill Cowher's not coming back to coaching, but he'd be my vote if the Jets could somehow persuade him. Rex Ryan is finished here, whether the Jets stick with him in 2013 or not.

Do the following to get Cowher ...

1) Give him the HC and GM jobs (kill two birds with one stone)
    2) Woody makes him a guarantee to stay out of all Football Decisions - have that contracted.

If those two things are offered you could coax him out of retirement.

Jets fans as a whole are a joke. We deserve to have not won the superbowl in 40 something years. Everytime theres a bump in the road, LETS GET SOMEONE ELSE!!!!
    I mean Bill Cowher?!?! He won 1 superbowl (towards the end of his career) in nearly 15 years of coaching the Steelers. Do you really think he would have been the coach of the Jets for that long? HAHA NO, he would have been fired after the 3 year stretch which he missed the playoffs in 98-2000 because Jets fans would have been calling for his head.
    Imagine if the Giants organization listened to theirs fans, Eli Manning would have been benched, Coughlin fired, 3 times by now, and Jeremey Shockey would still be a gint.

Rex has done some good things here, and he's still growing as a coach, JUST LIKE BILL COWHER IN PITT, his team is going through a rough spot. And hey, they took a chance on Mark and it didnt pay off, so we'll move on but Rome wasn't built in one day and a regime needs time to build its Rome.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Decent candidates, but at 69 I think Marty is not a day to day guy anymore. I like Zimmer as he ran both the 3-4 and 4-3 during his tenure and either system on the players.

I am sure Mangini would be better the 2nd time around, I don't think woody could sell it.

To be honest I think Mangini had the Browns headed in the right direction in 2010. They'd established a power running game with solid (yet unspectacular) QB play. A playmaker or two at receiver, and they would have been a good team. Then he was fired, Holmgren brought his own guy in, and the progress they'd made went down the toilet.

I like Mike Zimmer as a candidate, but I think they go with an offensive coach.

Hall Of Fame
    David Shaw. Highly intelligent guy, coached under Jim Harbaugh, offensive guy but emphasizes defense.

Bill Obrien.

You have to keep going for the young guys. You need someone that's hungry, not someone that's content to coast on past accomplishments.