View Poll Results: The Raiders might bring back Gruden. Who do you want to coach the Jets next year?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Rex (it's a personnel, GM or other problem)

54 41.86%
  • Bring back Mangini (we need discipline again)

9 6.98%
  • Bring back Herm (we need Barbeques again)

2 1.55%
  • Go get Bill Cowher (I need to see that scowl on his face at MetLife stadium)

37 28.68%
  • Get a new veteran/retread (Bring in a former NFL HC other than Cowher)

16 12.40%
  • Get a new rookie HC (bring in a newbie like Herm, Mangini and Rex were)

11 8.53%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would you want as "HC of the NYJ" in 2013?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Bill Obrien.
    No way he leaves Penn State.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The guy I wanted the Jets to hire 4 years ago.

Brian Billick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

Brian Billick.
    I don't dislike this choice. Why has no franchise given him another shot? Billick pi$$ folks off?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Jets fans as a whole are a joke. We deserve to have not won the superbowl in 40 something years. Everytime theres a bump in the road, LETS GET SOMEONE ELSE!!!!
    I mean Bill Cowher?!?! He won 1 superbowl (towards the end of his career) in nearly 15 years of coaching the Steelers. Do you really think he would have been the coach of the Jets for that long? HAHA NO, he would have been fired after the 3 year stretch which he missed the playoffs in 98-2000 because Jets fans would have been calling for his head.
    Imagine if the Giants organization listened to theirs fans, Eli Manning would have been benched, Coughlin fired, 3 times by now, and Jeremey Shockey would still be a gint.

Rex has done some good things here, and he's still growing as a coach, JUST LIKE BILL COWHER IN PITT, his team is going through a rough spot. And hey, they took a chance on Mark and it didnt pay off, so we'll move on but Rome wasn't built in one day and a regime needs time to build its Rome.
    A bump in the road? Four years of steady decline is just a bump in the road?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Bill Cowher's not coming back to coaching, but he'd be my vote if the Jets could somehow persuade him. Rex Ryan is finished here, whether the Jets stick with him in 2013 or not.

Bill Cowher wants the Giants job and that's it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    To be honest I think Mangini had the Browns headed in the right direction in 2010. They'd established a power running game with solid (yet unspectacular) QB play. A playmaker or two at receiver, and they would have been a good team. Then he was fired, Holmgren brought his own guy in, and the progress they'd made went down the toilet.

I like Mike Zimmer as a candidate, but I think they go with an offensive coach.
    Mangini had some of the worst QBs in the league on the Browns. Not even average. There is no way he could win with that.

I'd take back Fat Rex.

I think a GM that can bring in talent is more important than the next coach.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Mangini had some of the worst QBs in the league on the Browns. Not even average. There is no way he could win with that.

I'd take back Fat Rex.

I think a GM that can bring in talent is more important than the next coach.
    But along with a GM comes a new coach. We can not go shopping for a new GM and force Rex on him. It will turn off most candidates, especially any candidate with experience. GM's want to fill the positions with guys that follow their vision. Rex's "win with top 5 defense and a mediocre, run heavy offense" vision clashes with most people.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly feel like Cowher has too much self-respect to coach the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

Brian Billick.
    I dont want a coach who has been sitting in the broadcast booth for the last few years. Once these guys leave the coaching profession for a few years and get used to the broadcasters schedule and free time, its hard for them to come back and put in the 15 hour days and the commitment needed to be the coach they used to be.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are only two guys. Bruce Arians or David Shaw. And then there is everyone else.

Norv Turner or Jason Garrett as OC. Let them decide what to do with the QB along with the HC.

And if Woody is serious about getting better personnel then he has to make Eric DeCosta an offer he can't refuse. I know it is a long shot but it is an opportunity for him to be outside of Newsome's shadow. We have to go outside the organization for personnel people.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-06-2012 at 10:25 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Bill Cowher's not coming back to coaching, but he'd be my vote if the Jets could somehow persuade him. Rex Ryan is finished here, whether the Jets stick with him in 2013 or not.
    Cowher would never come to this team. Same for Gruden. Those guys would only go to a really great situation, which means owner, GM, and personnel (read: QB) are a big factor. Which means strike 3 for us, take a seat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    There are only two guys. Bruce Arians or David Shaw. And then there is everyone else.

Norv Turner or Jason Garrett as OC. Let them decide what to do with the QB along with the HC.

And if Woody is serious about getting better personnel then he has to make Eric DeCosta an offer he can't refuse. I know it is a long shot but it is an opportunity for him to be outside of Newsome's shadow. We have to go outside the organization for personnel people.
    Mike McCoy from Denver would be an excellent choice in my opinion.

If we stay with Rex, I want jeff tedford to be the OC

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Tedford is an interesting idea for OC.

I would imagine that after having Rodgers in college, he'll watch Sanchez take a couple throws during training camp, then turn to Rex and say "No seriously, who is the QB?"

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jay Gruden.

See what he's done with Dalton?

Yeah, I know he has AJ Green, but that doesn't change the fact that Cinci has developed Dalton well.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    A bump in the road? Four years of steady decline is just a bump in the road?
    Hahaha its more like 2, and its mostly on the offensive side of the ball... I wonder what you would call cowhers 3 consecutive unsecusseful seasons in Pitt from 98-00
    Or did you not read that part?!?!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would keep Rex if I thought he would get rid of the mistake that is Sparanno and open up the offense. It amazes me that he likes a high risk D but a static O. I think a OC that has a modern approach to the O along with a Rex D would be a really good team. Then draft/get FAs that compliment that O style and we should be good to go.

Of course with Sanchez' contract we would have to hope that he could run that down the field O and have a line that could protect him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris Petersen, Boise State

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Tedford is an interesting idea for OC.

I would imagine that after having Rodgers in college, he'll watch Sanchez take a couple throws during training camp, then turn to Rex and say "No seriously, who is the QB?"
    The interesting thing about tedford is that he is acclaimed for his work with QBs, who aside from Rogers, all did not do well in the NFL. The thing is, maybe he was just able to design offenses that fit their strengths and their NFL coaches didnt.

I think he is an innovative offensive mind, with HC experience...

As for the Dalton comment. The most fustrating part of sanchez starting sunday is that if you read mcelroy and daltons scouting repots, they are VERY similar. Dalton being criticized for not having a strong arm, etc. Seems like its been strong enough so far.

Its an abomination of roster management that we are not seeing what mcelroy can do in a full game with a full week of practice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I think McCoy's stock is inflated b.c of Manning. IMO Manning runs that offense.

I am not that familiar with Tedord. But I think we really need a GM that has a lot of pro personnel experience. That is without a doubt our weakest area.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The interesting thing about tedford is that he is acclaimed for his work with QBs, who aside from Rogers, all did not do well in the NFL. The thing is, maybe he was just able to design offenses that fit their strengths and their NFL coaches didnt.

I think he is an innovative offensive mind, with HC experience...

As for the Dalton comment. The most fustrating part of sanchez starting sunday is that if you read mcelroy and daltons scouting repots, they are VERY similar. Dalton being criticized for not having a strong arm, etc. Seems like its been strong enough so far.

Its an abomination of roster management that we are not seeing what mcelroy can do in a full game with a full week of practice.
    But Dalton was way more highly regarded than McElroy and taken in the early 2nd round. That's because of the roles they played on their teams, Dalton was the centerpiece of TCU's offense and relied upon to win games with his arm. McElroy mostly handed the ball off at Alabama and his primary job was to not screw things up (sound like anyone else we know?). I also think Dalton was a far more dangerous runner in college.

Like other Jet fans, I'm sick of seeing Sanchez and want McElroy to start. However, I am not excited over McElroy's prospects as a pro, I just would rather see him throw INTs than Sanchez at this point.