View Poll Results: The Raiders might bring back Gruden. Who do you want to coach the Jets next year?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Rex (it's a personnel, GM or other problem)

54 41.86%
  • Bring back Mangini (we need discipline again)

9 6.98%
  • Bring back Herm (we need Barbeques again)

2 1.55%
  • Go get Bill Cowher (I need to see that scowl on his face at MetLife stadium)

37 28.68%
  • Get a new veteran/retread (Bring in a former NFL HC other than Cowher)

16 12.40%
  • Get a new rookie HC (bring in a newbie like Herm, Mangini and Rex were)

11 8.53%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who would you want as "HC of the NYJ" in 2013?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    David Shaw. Highly intelligent guy, coached under Jim Harbaugh, offensive guy but emphasizes defense.
    This. Harbaugh would have been the right hire in 2009 but he probably didnt want to go to the east coast. Shaw IMO, would be the best hire of any team.

While I am reserved to think Shaw to the Jets wouldn't be possible, I would go with Todd Haley or Mike Nolan. Both were let go too early in their first HC jobs, and both teams were substantially worse when they left. Very hard nosed coaches that would instantly change the culture of our locker room.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    A bump in the road? Four years of steady decline is just a bump in the road?
    two years perhaps.

playoff runs are not steady declines.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Chris Petersen, Boise State
    He's turned down over 4 million a year from lots of good college programs. He is God there and eventually they will be in the Pac 12/14/16 whatever they call it. Only program I could maybe see him leave for is Oregon.

As for the other coaches, O'brien isnt leaving Penn State and David Shaw isnt leaving Stanford. Harbaugh wanted to be an NFL Coach (turned down a lot of Michigan $$$).

If you want to poach a college coach, I think our best bet is Chip Kelly. Oregon has rumored sanctions coming and he flirted with the Bucs last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've said before... again and again.

Curtis Johnson is what this team needs. If not as a HC, then as an OC.

Get ahead of the 8-ball for once in your life Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with Todd Haley
    No. This guy is a complete assh#le.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom Clements

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    No. This guy is a complete assh#le.

THAT'S WHY I LIKE HIM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    THAT'S WHY I LIKE HIM.
    Todd Haley won IN BALT with Batch at QB. IIRC, Mark had a hard time gaining positive yardage in any quarter against them.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Hopefully they will bring in Jay Gruden. A bright offensive mind who knows how to groom a young qb.
    Riddle me this....which young QB do you suggest?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Jets fans as a whole are a joke. We deserve to have not won the superbowl in 40 something years. Everytime theres a bump in the road, LETS GET SOMEONE ELSE!!!!
    I mean Bill Cowher?!?! He won 1 superbowl (towards the end of his career) in nearly 15 years of coaching the Steelers. Do you really think he would have been the coach of the Jets for that long? HAHA NO, he would have been fired after the 3 year stretch which he missed the playoffs in 98-2000 because Jets fans would have been calling for his head.
    Imagine if the Giants organization listened to theirs fans, Eli Manning would have been benched, Coughlin fired, 3 times by now, and Jeremey Shockey would still be a gint.

Rex has done some good things here, and he's still growing as a coach, JUST LIKE BILL COWHER IN PITT, his team is going through a rough spot. And hey, they took a chance on Mark and it didnt pay off, so we'll move on but Rome wasn't built in one day and a regime needs time to build its Rome.
    I agreed with your post until this moment. He took a chance on Mark and it didn't pay off? He could have benched him and ended that shot, but he said he is still the best option. That tells me he should not be a head coach. We didn't get to 2 AFCCG's because he was a great HC, but because he is a great DC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmgren or Jay Gruden.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cowher

People actually want to keep Rex? Jeez...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dirk Koetter

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Jet Fan View Post
    Dick Kotite
    ???

Nah...we've tried that already

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I don't dislike this choice. Why has no franchise given him another shot? Billick pi$$ folks off?
    $$$ is right.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I dont want a coach who has been sitting in the broadcast booth for the last few years. Once these guys leave the coaching profession for a few years and get used to the broadcasters schedule and free time, its hard for them to come back and put in the 15 hour days and the commitment needed to be the coach they used to be.

Well, 4 years ago, he was only a year away from the game. And he probably would have named Rex our DC, imagine how awesome that could have been...

Regardless, if the person is motivated, the time off also allows for perspective. The game has changed so much in the past 5 years, and Billick has been analyzing it all. We could do a lot worse than hiring someone like him.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marv Levy

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet Sheezus! Marv Levy? Are we serious?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJF71 View Post
    I agreed with your post until this moment. He took a chance on Mark and it didn't pay off? He could have benched him and ended that shot, but he said he is still the best option. That tells me he should not be a head coach. We didn't get to 2 AFCCG's because he was a great HC, but because he is a great DC.
    Stop. We did get to 2 AFCCG because he was a good coach who got his team to rally behind him. The Ground and pound worked wonderfully and that was all rex's philosophy, NOT SCHOTTYS.
    Second, when would you have liked to bench Mark? After last year? And who is he going to put in, Tebow? McElroy? No, Mark is still the best option out of the 3 of them but the future QB of this team lies elsewhere, so Rex is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't in terms of who he puts in at QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Parcells

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why anyone would want Gruden or Cowher is beyond me. You guys think one of those two are likely to end the FACT that no coach has won a super bowl with multiple teams?

And are you willing to give Cowher 12 years to do it?

Even though I disagree with it, getting rid of Rex is fine unless you aren't trying to bring in a replacement that is going to attempt to conquer history. It's just not gonna happen. Especially with this team.