Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Goodell seeking to eliminate kickoffs?

  1. #1

    Goodell seeking to eliminate kickoffs?

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...acing-kickoffs

    Sean Gregory of TIME writes that one of the options being considered for replacing kickoffs entails giving the ball to the team that would have been kicking off at its own 30, automatically facing a fourth down and 15 yards to go. The team can then choose to punt or go for it, via fake punt or otherwise.
    In other words, the kickoff would be replaced with the punt, and the onside kick would be replaced with a fourth-down conversion roughly half the distance of Ray Rice’s recent catch-and-run.

    Article also says the idea came from Tampa Bay Head Coach, Greg Schiano. ****ing new guy...
    Last edited by McGinley; 12-06-2012 at 11:11 AM.

  2. #2
    That would be criminally stupid, I hope they aren't seriously considering this

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...acing-kickoffs

    Sean Gregory of TIME writes that one of the options being considered for replacing kickoffs entails giving the ball to the team that would have been kicking off at its own 30, automatically facing a fourth down and 15 yards to go. The team can then choose to punt or go for it, via fake punt or otherwise.
    In other words, the kickoff would be replaced with the punt, and the onside kick would be replaced with a fourth-down conversion roughly half the distance of Ray Rice’s recent catch-and-run.

    Article also says the idea came from Tampa Bay Head Coach, Greg Schiano. ****ing new guy...
    There is no way that happens...

    Punt, KO, whatever - I really don't have a problem with that...

    but the onside kick is worrisome, it's MUCH easier to gain 15 yards on a play than recover an onside kick.

    Onside kicks are supposed to be last minute desperation and almost never work...

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpV852GDbGQ

    Cant wait to boo Ducasse for being bad at hugging his opponent

  5. #5
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,563
    Have I been missing something all of these years? I could sweat that the vast majority of injuries I have witnessed while watching football over the years occurred during downs 1-4. So why are they trying to eliminate the kickoff? Could it be so they are just trying to make it appear that they are showing concern?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Have I been missing something all of these years? I could sweat that the vast majority of injuries I have witnessed while watching football over the years occurred during downs 1-4. So why are they trying to eliminate the kickoff? Could it be so they are just trying to make it appear that they are showing concern?
    I think it's the head injuries they're most worried about, those are long term and don't necessarily happen immediately.

    The speed and impact of KO's are very dangerous, long-term for head trauma

  7. #7
    Why not just eliminate tackling all together....

  8. #8
    I don't like Goodell, but how is asking the coaches what can be done to the game to minimize injuries as ruining the game? Goodell does not implement rule changes, the NFL competition committee does.

    He is doing what he should be doing, looking out for the long term interests of the game.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Have I been missing something all of these years? I could sweat that the vast majority of injuries I have witnessed while watching football over the years occurred during downs 1-4. So why are they trying to eliminate the kickoff? Could it be so they are just trying to make it appear that they are showing concern?
    The 2 most serious recent ones (Everet and Legrand) occurred on the kickoff

    "The problem is that the concussions come from everywhere, from the wedge, from the crossing blocks where a guy goes from one side of the field to another, from a full-speed collision between a return guy and a tackler," Mara told the Giants' website. "So there's no one thing that you can do. It's something that we'll continue to watch as closely as possible."
    Basically, wedge blocks and big guys running as fast as they can for 60 yards making the impact much greater.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Why not just eliminate tackling all together....
    What do you think the Jets have been doing?

  11. #11
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,567
    After LeGrand was paralyzed Schiano went on record saying that kickoffs should be eradicated from the game. I doubt Goodell is seriously considering this.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    After LeGrand was paralyzed Schiano went on record saying that kickoffs should be eradicated from the game. I doubt Goodell is seriously considering this.
    This is the same guy that has his Defense dive at linemen's knees in victory formation situations. **** that guy.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Have I been missing something all of these years? I could sweat that the vast majority of injuries I have witnessed while watching football over the years occurred during downs 1-4. So why are they trying to eliminate the kickoff? Could it be so they are just trying to make it appear that they are showing concern?
    That's what happens when 1000 ex players sue the NFL.

  14. #14
    That's honestly not that horrible of an idea...

  15. #15
    Such a beautiful game, such a bunch of idiots running it.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    That's honestly not that horrible of an idea...

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,749
    lets just ban football

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    There is no way that happens...

    Punt, KO, whatever - I really don't have a problem with that...

    but the onside kick is worrisome, it's MUCH easier to gain 15 yards on a play than recover an onside kick.

    Onside kicks are supposed to be last minute desperation and almost never work...
    onsite kicks are recovered at a 26% rate, I believe 4thd and 15s will be converted less than that. Plus the opposing team will get the ball on the 30 which is practically field goal range. A failed onsite kick the opposition usually gets it around midfield. This makes the downside even greater.

  19. #19
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,567
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    This is the same guy that has his Defense dive at linemen's knees in victory formation situations. **** that guy.
    That's a fair criticism.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    onsite kicks are recovered at a 26% rate, I believe 4thd and 15s will be converted less than that. Plus the opposing team will get the ball on the 30 which is practically field goal range. A failed onsite kick the opposition usually gets it around midfield. This makes the downside even greater.
    Fair enough. I was off...

    I would never have guessed on-side kicks have that high a recovery rate.

    better than 1/4 chance of recovery - might be worth teams taking a chance more often.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us