Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why Sanchez should start

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Nobody is saying Rex can't be wrong. Tell us why Rex is 100% wrong in this case. What makes you right? What information are you basing your results on? What are your qualifications to be able to make this decision? Are you at practice? Meetings? Film sessions?

No seriously I want you to answer me these questions. I want to know how some Monday morning quaterback is typing on here and is not in our front office.
    Actually, you and Sanchez316 have spent the better part of a page or two doing just that when you argued that they do this for a living, who are we to question them?

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    So what ? I know plenty of people who do stuff "for a living" who are incompetent in their fields. History is replete with lots of coaches who, it turns out, didn't know what the hell they were doing. I mean, is it written somewhere that once someone gets the title of "coach", that they MUST BE good at the job ? No, it just means that someone was dumb enough to give them the job.
    I'm not saying that Rex is automatically right. I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt. We as fans have no qualifications to argue that Rex doesn't know what he's doing based on decisions we disagree with.

Yes, you have every right to disagree. But the constant assumptions that Rex is a terrible HC, or Woody is a terrible owner based on a sliver of a perspective and a chunk of personal opinion is an epidemic here. Maybe they know what they're doing and we as fans have no idea what we are speaking about? How come that opinion is never considered? Everyone is an expert here except the experts themselves.

Jets Insider VIP
    So what ? I know plenty of people who do stuff "for a living" who are incompetent in their fields. History is replete with lots of coaches who, it turns out, didn't know what the hell they were doing. I mean, is it written somewhere that once someone gets the title of "coach", that they MUST BE good at the job ? No, it just means that someone was dumb enough to give them the job.
    Excellent point Demo

For example both the Jets and the Broncos were dumb enough to give Tim Teblows a job when IT WAS OBVIOUS TO ANYONE WITH EYES that Teblows was no good at all for a job involving passing a football

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Nobody is saying Rex can't be wrong. Tell us why Rex is 100% wrong in this case. What makes you right? What information are you basing your results on? What are your qualifications to be able to make this decision? Are you at practice? Meetings? Film sessions?

No seriously I want you to answer me these questions. I want to know how some Monday morning quaterback is typing on here and is not in our front office.
    Here's the answer and you might not want to hear it but...

The reason Rex doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me - I'm someone that one would normally give professionals the benefit you're suggesting - is that his judgement has been awful so often recently that it's hard to accept his choices.

What Sanchez does in practice and what he says in the locker room don't mean a hell of a lot in the W and L column. Rex obviously believes in him as do his teammates. If he continues the downward spiral then the Jets have little option as he is guaranteed big money next year. I also wonder how many QB's in the upcoming draft could start their first year in the NFL and make an impact like Tannenhill, Luck or RG III.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the year. If Rex insists of staying with Sanchez and he continues to show no progress it could cost him his job. It's going to be a tug of war between Tanny and Rex and only one will still be with the Jets at the end of the year.

All League
    Actually, you and Sanchez316 have spent the better part of a page or two doing just that when you argued that they do this for a living, who are we to question them?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Here's the answer and you might not want to hear it but...

The reason Rex doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me - I'm someone that one would normally give professionals the benefit you're suggesting - is that his judgement has been awful so often recently that it's hard to accept his choices.
    You're entitled to that opinion.. but by saying that his judgement has been awful recently, I'm going to assume you once approved of his judgement?

Is it unfathomable to think that he can return to form and success where you might approve once again?

Why at the first sight of the iceberg is everyone jumping off the ship? This isn't the Titanic, we can navigate our way out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    You're entitled to that opinion.. but by saying that his judgement has been awful recently, I'm going to assume you once approved of his judgement?

Is it unfathomable to think that he can return to form and success where you might approve once again?

Why at the first sight of the iceberg is everyone jumping off the ship? This isn't the Titanic, we can navigate our way out of it.
    Yes, there was a time I had a lot of faith in Rex Ryan. Sure he made mistakes but he was a young coach getting his bearings. I gave him the benefit of the doubt - but this is year 4 now and it's getting worse.

I must admit I place a lot of the blame on Tanny too (who also at one point I loved) One of the biggest problems and I will concede, I don't know who's really at fault for this mess (Tanny, Rex, Woody or a combination)

This certainly isn't the first sight of an iceberg. To me we've already hit-it and it's time for the life boats...

Sanchez 3:16 - it sounds to me that you and I are going in the same direction I just got there a little sooner.

You seem like you're one more bad performance from being where I am...

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Sanchez 3:16 - it sounds to me that you and I are going in the same direction I just got there a little sooner.

You seem like you're one more bad performance from being where I am...
    Total disclaimer: I in no way think that Rex, Sanchez, or the team is doing a good job. I'm not happy with them either.

I just do not think it's time to blow it up and start over. And I'll argue that point thread by thread, poster by poster. lol

Total disclaimer: I in no way think that Rex, Sanchez, or the team is doing a good job. I'm not happy with them either.

I just do not think it's time to blow it up and start over. And I'll argue that point thread by thread, poster by poster. lol
    If you asked me two days ago should Rex be fired I would have said NO...He deserves a shot and consistency is important.

But this decision to start Sanchez again really bothers me. Maybe he does see something I don't but I can't get past my thinking that this is a money decision and one made to save his job and not what's best for the team.

I was calling for Sanchez to be benched weeks ago. Anyone with half a brain could see he was struggling. I'm not sure sitting him for a quarter is enough.

The season was salvageable and Sanchez needed to get his act together. An additional win or two would have totally changed things. And lol at the poster(s) who say as soon as teams got film on McElroy would have "figured him out". Figured out what? He ain't exactly RG IV back there.

Sanchez now has a steeper hill to climb. Instead of being able to come back and take this team into the playoffs, he's got to play with the sword of Damocles dangling above. Tough thing for any proffesional athlete.

Rex really messed this up good.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    I was calling for Sanchez to be benched weeks ago. Anyone with half a brain could see he was struggling. I'm not sure sitting him for a quarter is enough.

The season was salvageable and Sanchez needed to get his act together. An additional win or two would have totally changed things. And lol at the poster(s) who say as soon as teams got film on McElroy would have "figured him out". Figured out what? He ain't exactly RG IV back there.

Sanchez now has a steeper hill to climb. Instead of being able to come back and take this team into the playoffs, he's got to play with the sword of Damocles dangling above. Tough thing for any proffesional athlete.

Rex really messed this up good.
    Not one single person said anything about mcelroy being RG IV. And the words "figured him out" were not typed. And yes he did benefit from the team not knowing anything about him. Trust me.

Not one single person said anything about mcelroy being RG IV. And the words "figured him out" were not typed. And yes he did benefit from the team not knowing anything about him. Trust me.
    Yeah...he really fooled the Cards with his wicked hand-offs.

The only thing that surprised the Cards were his lack of turnovers.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Yeah...he really fooled the Cards with his wicked hand-offs.

The only thing that surprised the Cards were his lack of turnovers.
    yea, you are right.

welcome to my life, I'm called a moron everyday because my username has our starting QB in it.

My honest opinion, I think I've stated it in this thread, McElroy starts the Chargers game. I'd also like to see what he has. Just not right now. I think Mark deserves one last chance.
    Wait... WHAT?!

How can you think that the jet's are doing the right thing by starting Sanchez, if you think he will fail and McElroy will be our QB by the chargers game. If McElroy is the quarterback by the Chargers game, that means giving Sanchez a "second" chance was a tremendous waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Wait... WHAT?!

How can you think that the jet's are doing the right thing by starting Sanchez, if you think he will fail and McElroy will be our QB by the chargers game. If McElroy is the quarterback by the Chargers game, that means giving Sanchez a "second" chance was a tremendous waste of time.
    Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

I think the Jets are doing the right thing by allowing Sanchez to redeem himself.

I'm rooting for Mark to succeed, but my gut feeling is that this team, this season, and above all, this fanbase is so torn to pieces they will make the move back to McElroy for the final two games.

Giving Sanchez a second chance for 2 entire games is not a "tremendous" waste of time. He deserves it.
    Last edited by Sanchez 3:16; 12-06-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Sure there is. The logic is very simple. Many complained that Sanchez was coddled in that he didn't have to worry about being benched OR losing his gig.

For the first time, Rex yanked his ass and put him on the bench. Question then is "How does Mark respond to this?" Only way to find out is to send him back out there as the starter the next week.

As for not being able to flip a switch, history has shown that this very well does happen.

If this were the last game of the season, it might be different, but Rex still has the opportunity to send all kinds of messages. If Sanchez goes to Jax and continues to do stupid and ill-advised things, i.e. he doesn't respond positively to the benching, then bench his ass again, and this time make it for the rest of the season.

Then, as you discussed, go ahead and have a true QB competition in camp next year. I'm talking about having all QBs split reps with all the squads. using who we have now, that would mean Sanchez, Tebow and McElroy would rotate taking snaps with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams so that none of them have an unfair advantage when being judged.

I'd even go further and make the sessions "live" when possible, meaning that the QB can be hit. Would quietly talk to the defense and tell them that anyone who actually injures one of the QBs would be cut immediately, but I wouldn't tell the offense about that discussion. Goal would be to protect the QB from injury of course, BUT, to be able to see how they perform under real pressure (or something close to it).

Anyways, my overall point is that there's still time for all that to happen, that starting Sanchez this week doesn't prevent that, and lastly, that it's completely logical to see how Sanchez responds to being benched and humiliated last week.
    And you would be shown your walking papers about a day after practice

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    And you would be shown your walking papers about a day after practice

Why?

/10char

All League
    Hoping Sanchez melts down so we can secure a top 10 pick