Thread: Yanks make offer for Youkilis

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Yanks make offer for Youkilis

1 year, $12 million. I don't know about this. His production is on a serious decline. There has got to be better options.

Ian Stewart? Jose Lopez? Isn't Brandon Inge a FA? Youk is a big name, but Yanks can get just as good as production probably for half the price.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    1 year, $12 million. I don't know about this. His production is on a serious decline. There has got to be better options.

Ian Stewart? Jose Lopez? Isn't Brandon Inge a FA? Youk is a big name, but Yanks can get just as good as production probably for half the price.
    Don't agree with that at all. Not from the 3 names you mentioned anyways.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    Don't agree with that at all. Not from the 3 names you mentioned anyways.
    yeah, probably not there with those guys. But forking over 12 million for a guy who will struggle to get 60 RBIs is a bit steep.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, probably not there with those guys. But forking over 12 million for a guy who will struggle to get 60 RBIs is a bit steep.
    Have to pay a premium when you're offering 1 year deals. Youkilis is still only 33 years old, he still has a few great years in him, IF IF IF IF he stays healthy. His bad back has really killed his production the last 3 seasons.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have to pay a premium when you're offering 1 year deals. Youkilis is still only 33 years old, he still has a few great years in him, IF IF IF IF he stays healthy. His bad back has really killed his production the last 3 seasons.
    yeah, that injury scares me too. Yanks never look at the no name guy. people will come to see youk, I guess. Youk probably is the best option, but I wish the Yanks would get back to "promoting from within." Maybe in 2014.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    ridiculous contract, it should be pulled since he didn't immediately accept it. Screw him.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO

He will do really well as a Yankee. He will see a ton of fastballs and get many hits.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Francessa likes Brandon Inge.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Youk is a gamer man. Would be a good addition to the yankmees.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Francessa likes Brandon Inge.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZAuH7pSgc

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

With Boston paying more then that for an aging average C that is actually not a bad deal. He is not supper old and has an upside of 20+HRs and a .260-.280 BA. Considering the other options at 3rd not bad. Platoon him and Nunez at 3rd not like your taking a huge hit missing AROD on that move. If healthy may even be a step up.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    With Boston paying more then that for an aging average C that is actually not a bad deal. He is not supper old and has an upside of 20+HRs and a .260-.280 BA. Considering the other options at 3rd not bad. Platoon him and Nunez at 3rd not like your taking a huge hit missing AROD on that move. If healthy may even be a step up.
    I think .260-.280 is a stretch.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I think .260-.280 is a stretch.
    Not really, he is only 33 with a life time BA of .283. He has battle threw injury the last 4 years and in 2010 still putting up great #s. I don't think it is a stretch at all. If he can stay healthy has a nice up side still.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Youk is a gamer man. Would be a good addition to the yankmees.
    +1

This is absolutely a good move if Youkilis accepts the offer. Gap hitter, hits in the clutch, can play 3rd and 1st. Arod will stay at DH after he comes back and its only 1 yr deal.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    +1

This is absolutely a good move if Youkilis accepts the offer. Gap hitter, hits in the clutch, can play 3rd and 1st. Arod will stay at DH after he comes back and its only 1 yr deal.
    Very gritty type player. Would like to stick it to Boston I'm sure.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Very gritty type player. Would like to stick it to Boston I'm sure.
    The M@ssholes are gonna boo Youkilis soooo bad if he returns as a Yankee OMFG

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    The M@ssholes are gonna boo Youkilis soooo bad if he returns as a Yankee OMFG
    Possibly. But then how would Yankees fans greet a former Yank that went to the Sox?

I don't think this is a good signing for the Yankees. In his time Youk was a tough, gritty player who could hit for both power and average. For for the past two years he's been able to do neither. He's just hurt too much. If he gets on a serious juice program he could turn it around fast. But then he'd be a pretty obvious candidate for investigation/suspension.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Possibly. But then how would Yankees fans greet a former Yank that went to the Sox?

I don't think this is a good signing for the Yankees. In his time Youk was a tough, gritty player who could hit for both power and average. For for the past two years he's been able to do neither. He's just hurt too much. If he gets on a serious juice program he could turn it around fast. But then he'd be a pretty obvious candidate for investigation/suspension.
    I think this signing is a no-brainer. 1 year deal, Youk is still an effective hitter that plays 1st and 3rd and I think he'd probably go for 20+ hrs, 90+ rbis and .350+ OBP in our lineup in yankee stadium.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Youkilis hasn't accepted it yet, it's been what 3-4 days now?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Youkilis hasn't accepted it yet, it's been what 3-4 days now?
    Cleveland just offered him more $ but they just signed Reynolds.