Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Per PFT : Rex likely staying and Tanny gets reassigned...

I have been thinking about this for a few days now.

If this were to happen, don't be surprised if we stay in-house and promote Assistant GM Scott Cohen to General Manager.

He was Director of Pro Personnel for the Eagles for 7 years before coming here, so he actually has a real football background. He also has college scouting experience.

Reassign Tannenbaum to contracts only and leave the decision-making up to Cohen. Hiring Cohen also gives Rex a little more security than if an outsider were brought in to be GM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Man, does the team plane have to go down in flames for you to call it a disaster season?
    STFU troll!

Hall Of Fame
    Tanny has lost the "cap guru" label. All he ever did was back load contracts. The Revis and Harris contracts are awful.

No real GM is going to want him to stay on. If he is still here we will end up with a JV GM.

SOJ

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Fatty has been suggesting this for weeks.

Woody loves Rex and he owes him a lot of $$$$. Rex should be fired but those two things will ultimately save him.
    Any new GM would want their own HC.

Who the hell out there would take the Jets GM position with Wrecks as the HC?

Tony_tfy posted this Rex/tanny story over a week ago on the draft board. Props for giving us jets fans the insider info first

Tanny has lost the "cap guru" label. All he ever did was back load contracts. The Revis and Harris contracts are awful.

No real GM is going to want him to stay on. If he is still here we will end up with a JV GM.

SOJ
    A JV GM?

And by the way, people loved the Harris contract when it was done, if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I like it, if true, I like the idea of Tannenbaum staying on, I think he is critical in managing the cap, don't underestimate that part of the job, it's huge.

I could easily see a situation where Parcells comes back on board, to work with both Tannenbaum and Bradway. Parcells, with his history with Tannenbaum, with Bradyway, his affinity of Rex, his background with Sparano, his background with Woody, and Woody is also a fan. That would be a very good fit, Parcells could come in and restore order in the front office, and that is what we would all want.
    Parcells as GM set the Dolphins back many years with his traditional/ conservative analysis.

SOJ
    I think his troubles in that department are a function of poor decision-making, not the actual details of the contracts themselves.

Take Sanchez for example. Jason at nyjetscap said that his rookie deal was very intelligently constructed. The extension was so unnecessary, and that's more of a bad calculated decision. He got Sanchez at a cheaper price down the road, but that was under the poorly calculated assumption that he'd develop into a franchise signal caller.

First of all this article is hanging on the "educated" opinion of Manish Mehta. Pretty much ends right there.

However if we do demote Tanny and keep Rex around, we can pretty much guarantee another 3+ years of draft hilarity and incompetence. Show me a GM that's willing to take a job that does not allow him to make his own decision on the coach and personnel and I'll show you a ****ty GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Parcells as GM set the Dolphins back many years with his traditional/ conservative analysis.
    But he wouldn't be coming in as the GM, he would be president of football operations, and would be working with qualified personnel and GM types in Bradway and Scott Cohen, who if you recall performed a similar role in Philly, and then he would be working with Tannenbaum again who he worked with during his first stint with the team.

Understand that any person coming in to take over the role, if Woody wants to keep Rex and even Tannenbaum, but realizes he needs to restore front office operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    First of all this article is hanging on the "educated" opinion of Manish Mehta. Pretty much ends right there.

However if we do demote Tanny and keep Rex around, we can pretty much guarantee another 3+ years of draft hilarity and incompetence. Show me a GM that's willing to take a job that does not allow him to make his own decision on the coach and personnel and I'll show you a ****ty GM.
    Or a young GM getting his first job in the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Per PFT : Rex likely staying and Tanny gets reassigned...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...be-reassigned/
    Unfortunately I've been afraid this would be the case. Woody doesn't want to eat 2 yrs worth of Rex's contract and Tanny can easily be given a new title.

If this does turn out to be true they still better get a new OC and QB coach otherwise the song remains the same.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Any new GM would want their own HC.

Who the hell out there would take the Jets GM position with Wrecks as the HC?
    I agree. Which is why we are phucked either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    A JV GM?

And by the way, people loved the Harris contract when it was done, if I recall.
    Meaning, a second-rate GM.

Maybe some people had to much Kool-Aid and liked it. Not me.

SOJ
    Well Ari Nissim is doing the Jets cap and has been for 5+ yrs.

Banned
    Rex Ryan will not and should not be fired unless he has a disaster season.

Disasterous season?

The Jets are 4 friggn' games behind the division leader with 4 games to play.

That's not a disaster when Wrecks said this is the most talented team he has ever had as HC of the NYJ's.?

Wrecks doesn't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Unfortunately I've been afraid this would be the case. Woody doesn't want to eat 2 yrs worth of Rex's contract and Tanny can easily be given a new title.

If this does turn out to be true they still better get a new OC and QB coach otherwise the song remains the same.
    Speaking of coordinators... I am slowly becoming convinced that there are some nice offensive philosophies out there and good coaches but they kill themselves with the playcalling... I think Norv runs a great offense but if you look at the play calling at the end of last week's game against the Bengals it was a joke... Parcells was good at this.... Often he called plays when Weiss was here.

Or a young GM getting his first job in the position.
    Right, a ****ty GM.

We've been giving people their first shot in life this entire time under Woody. It's time to bring in some people who have a clue wtf they're doing to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Man, does the team plane have to go down in flames for you to call it a disaster season?
    that depends, does everyone die?

SOJ
    False

Don't even pretend you have a clue, because you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Disasterous season?

The Jets are 4 friggn' games behind the division leader with 4 games to play.

That's not a disaster when Wrecks said this is the most talented team he has ever had as HC of the NYJ's.?

Wrecks doesn't have a clue.
    He never said that. He said it MAY BEthe most talented team he has ever had.

In the words of Lewis Black, BIG F*** DIFFERENCE.

Maybe to the Pats, 5-7 is disastrous, but not to a team projected to finish 3rd in the division behind the Bills.