Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Per PFT : Rex likely staying and Tanny gets reassigned...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    We could take away his personnel decisions and not let him choose his coaches. Heck maybe we could also take away his rights to press conferences as well while we're at it since he's a buffoon most of the time.

Orrrrrr.....

We can hire a competent GM and let him hire a competent coach.
    Sorry but Rex really is one of the best defensive minds in the game. This defense is outstanding based on the skill level of the players at this point. You don't just tell someone like that to walk away, just like a special player, you need to make concessions for. I'm afraid he has to make press conferences, but he does need guidelines. You're right about that.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Tanny needs to go back to managing the cap. Rex needs to coach the Defense, and give pep talks. Sporano can coach the line. We need to hire a real offensive mind, like Norv Turner perhaps, and we need a GM to be in charge of them all. Sorry but if the buck stops with Rex, it ain't stopping. Who do you think is in charge of Rex' family? Him, or Mrs Rex?
    And the HC in duties, not title, would be? The above scenario looks rather rudderless with not 1 competent, actual HC.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    No, but you let the GM make that decision. You don't go out looking on the market for a GM and tell them they have no say on the coach.
    I understand and agree with that. but I'm just saying you guys want to make it seem like it would be automatic that Rex gets fired. That's not the case.

Just because most of you think he's a terrible coach doesn't mean everybody else thinks the same.

Believe it or not, Rex is actually still well respected around the league. Our draft insider Tony Pauline (Tony TYF) even said this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps another even better reason that Parcells would be a great fit, beyond the fact he would be working with people he's worked with before and he would both have and be given immediate respect, is the affect he could have on Rex as a HC.

Rex needs to learn how to be a little more like Parcells as a head coach. Everybody talks about Sanchez needing to get tough, Rex needs to get tough too, he needs to button up, just enough to still be himself, but reel in a lot of what he reveals and is open about in front of the media. I think Parcells could have a profound effect on Rex in a positive way.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 12-06-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I know that. And we have had this discussion before. I understand certain people have certain job titles. Mike Pettine is our Defensive Coordinator but who do you think runs the defense?
    Rex isn't spending 100% of his day on the defense but Pettine is and Tanny isn't spending 100% of his day with cap duties but Nissim is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Parcells would never work with Rex.

Never.

Ever.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I am ok with that other than the coaching staff decisions. You let a coach build his own staff! In this particular instance the GM might "persuade" him that we need a more balance offense and guys who fit that philosophy.
    You take input from Rex. You really need to make him feel like he's in control. That's part of being a good GM. You make everyone feel important, and you guide them to the right decisions. Rex needs to be protected from himself, and we need a football man to do that. Tanny I'm afraid is really just a weasel, and it worked for a little while, but it's come crashing down now. Remember all the players that have accused him of lying about their contracts. My guess is that it was all doubletalk. The same as his interviews.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but Rex really is one of the best defensive minds in the game. This defense is outstanding based on the skill level of the players at this point. You don't just tell someone like that to walk away, just like a special player, you need to make concessions for. I'm afraid he has to make press conferences, but he does need guidelines. You're right about that.
    So he's an exceptional DC then. In that case he needs to be somewhere else next year because 1) the NYJ need a real HC, & 2) Rex wouldn't stay here under a demotion, sorry, not happening.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This means we will have demoted our last 2 GMs. This is f#cking embarrassing. Fire these guys. Their stench hangs around the organization when they are still here.

We need new blood in here. I want tanny, rex, bradway gone. All of them....gone.

What successful franchise demotes GMs?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Rex isn't spending 100% of his day on the defense but Pettine is and Tanny isn't spending 100% of his day with cap duties but Nissim is.
    I agree. You are correct.

I am not saying that he is a complete figure head. On that link you provided it said that Nissim was "lead negotiator". But if you go back to Hard Knocks, who were Revis' agents talking to? Who was the one driving to Roscoe Diner? Who was negotiating with Clemens? The cap and contracts go hand-in-hand.

The buck stops with Tanny. Going back to that media guide you linked it says he works with Tanny on strategic cap planning. So Tanny is very much involved in the cap and contracts.

So basically, IMO we need to fire even more people than just Tanny and Rex. LOL.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-06-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He certainly is, which makes him a great defensive coordinator. It's one thing to make a concession for a guy. You're saying to remove his personnel input, remove his input on coaches, and add guidelines on his press conferences. That's ridiculous.

The vision of a team begins with the GM, not the coach (unless that coach happens to also be the GM). Right now Tanny has no vision and Rex can only see out of one eye.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    This means we will have demoted our last 2 GMs. This is f#cking embarrassing. Fire these guys. Their stench hangs around the organization when they are still here.

We need new blood in here. I want tanny, rex, bradway gone. All of them....gone.

What successful franchise demotes GMs?
    That's a very good point, Joe.

I mean I've asked before what Purpose does BRADWAY serve while still employed by the Jets and no one could or would bother to give an answer to that here.

It's PATHETIC.

Jettison everyone(save the Owner since no one can fire him)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    That's a very good point, Joe.

I mean I've asked before what Purpose does BRADWAY serve while still employed by the Jets and no one could or would bother to give an answer to that here.

It's PATHETIC.

Jettison everyone(save the Owner since no one can fire him)
    He told Tanny that Revis would not be available where we picking and that we would have to move up.

I am serious.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He also said the same thing about greene.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He told Tanny that Revis would not be available where we picking and that we would have to move up.

I am serious.
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/ms/media-...ay,-Terry.html

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Perhaps another even better reason that Parcells would be a great fit, beyond the fact he would be working with people he's worked with before and he would both have and be given immediate respect, is the affect he could have on Rex as a HC.

Rex needs to learn how to be a little more like Parcells as a head coach. Everybody talks about Sanchez needing to get tough, Rex needs to get tough too, he needs to button up, just enough to still be himself, but reel in a lot of what he reveals and is open about in front of the media. I think Rex could have a profound effect on Rex in a positive way.
    Ray, after 4 years of being their big fat blowhard coddling friend, there's no way in the world he can now pull off the bad cop act. He would so quickly be viewed as a phony and then you'd see him REALLY lose that locker room. Everyone knows that it's way easier to go from hard ass to opening up to your group once ya'll truly understand each other than vice-versa. Going from buddy to ball-breaker just gets laughs from your group to your face.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I alwast thought PFT stood for PatsFanTx. Learned some new stuff today

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You take input from Rex. You really need to make him feel like he's in control. That's part of being a good GM. You make everyone feel important, and you guide them to the right decisions. Rex needs to be protected from himself, and we need a football man to do that. Tanny I'm afraid is really just a weasel, and it worked for a little while, but it's come crashing down now. Remember all the players that have accused him of lying about their contracts. My guess is that it was all doubletalk. The same as his interviews.
    That's what Tanny has been doing. Is it shocking to you that our offense is completely inept? Rex has no clue on offense. Tanny has been deferring to Rex this whole time, just as he did with Mangini prior. Here's how I'd be willing to bet the draft room goes-

Round one-Rex rants and raves Coples is great we gotta have him he's the passrusher we need. Round 2-Rex says ok guys go ahead and draft an offensive player you think is good.

Seriously, do you think Rex has any clue on how to evaluate a college level offensive player at all? Do you realize they valued Sanchez so much higher because more of his friends came to his workout? John Connor makes some bone crushing hits and he's Rex's guy regardless of the fact he's completely inept in actually finding someone to block. All coaches come from one side of the ball, but I have never seen a coach as married to his side and as oblivious to the other as Rex is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure why you are posting that. I know what he does. Or should I say what he is supposed to do.

Are you disputing my point that the only reason why he has a job is b.c he suggested that we should move up for Revis. That or he has dirt on Woody.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you really want that quality in your HEAD COACH???