Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Per PFT : Rex likely staying and Tanny gets reassigned...

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Yup, terrible idea. Just like demoting the GM is a terrible idea.
    It don't think it's nearly as terrible. There's a difference.

Bradway is actually good at evaluating talent. He was just a bad GM. Same with Tanny. He's great when it comes to managing the cap, but he's not a football guy. Another terrible GM. You take them and demote them back to to what they're great it, and you can still help the team and not have it affect them negatively. Same can't be said for Rex.

Keeping him on as DC would undermine the new HC and would basically split the locker room in half. If the Jets decide that they don't went Rex as their HC anymore, he needs to be removed from the organization immediately.

Luckily Rex will never allow himself to be demoted. So we'll never half to worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post

Bradway is actually good at evaluating talent. He was just a bad GM. Same with Tanny. He's great when it comes to managing the cap, but he's not a football guy. Another terrible GM. You take them and demote them back to to what they're great it, and you can still help the team and not have it affect them negatively. Same can't be said for Rex.
    Is Bradway good at evaluating players? We've had some pretty awful drafts in these past 10 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Rex has not done a good job for two years in a row. The team has looked unprepared and unmotivated way too often, but what I see as a real glaring point against him is that the offense, defense and special teams have all been pretty poor. It hasn't been one area and it certainly isn't on one player.

That said, I wouldn't be dead-set against giving him another year, there's a lot to be said for stability. The top organizations don't fire and hire coaches every few years.

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post

Keeping him on as DC would undermine the new HC and would basically split the locker room in half. If the Jets decide that they don't went Rex as their HC anymore, he needs to be removed from the organization immediately.

Luckily Rex will never allow himself to be demoted. So we'll never half to worry about that.
    THIS.

I would take parcells here in a millisecond. I pray this is true

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The best general managers often rise through the ranks of scouting. But a good scout doesn't necessarily make the best general manager. While talent evaluation plays a critical role in a general manager's success, so much more goes into the job.

Often times, the best way to find the next big general manager is to look at successful front offices and find the key figures in those front office.

Let's take a guess at some of the best candidates for general manger openings.

Marc Ross, Director of College Scouting, New York Giants

Marc Ross has already been interviewed for general manager jobs in the past, and seems like a strong candidate to make the jump this offseason. Few teams have drafted as well as the Giants have during Ross' tenure as director of college scouting. Jason Pierre-Paul and Hakeem Nicks are among the most notable picks during his five years, but Ross has been a part of putting together two Super Bowl rosters. I think he will get his chance at the big time this offseason.

Eric DeCosta, Assistant General Manager, Baltimore Ravens

Eric DeCosta has worked for Ozzie Newsome for the past 17 years. That alone makes him an intriguing GM candidate. Take into account that he has performed a variety of roles in the Ravens' front office, including Director of College Scouting and Director of Player Personel, and DeCosta becomes a very attractive option for team's looking for a general manager. He is thought to be the man who will replace Newsome when his career is over, though, so it may be tough for a team to lure him away.

Omar Khan, Director of Football and Business Administration, Pittsburgh Steelers

Omar Khan is thought of as one of the finest salary cap and contract negotiating experts in the NFL. He has worked with the Steelers since 2001, helping to bring the team a pair of Super Bowl titles. Pittsburgh obviously wants to keep him in the fold, so he will be a tough guy to land. He is not as highly regarded for his personel decisions, so that could make some teams hesitant about giving him full control.

Mike Maccagnan, Director of College Scouting, Houston Texans

Few teams have developed the type of roster depth that the Houston Texans have over the past four years. Mike Maccagnan has played a vital role in the draft process for the Texans and has proven himself as a talent evaluator. That doesn't always translate into success as a general manager, but it's not a bad starting point. He should be on the radar of teams seeking a new GM.

Brian Gutekunst, Director of College Scouting, Green Bay Packers

Brian Gutekunst has truly worked his way up from the bottom in the scouting world. He started off as an intern and has now been with the Packers for 14 years after a brief stint in Kansas City. The Packers are widely regarded as having one of the most successful scouting departments in the entire NFL. Gutekunst may be young, but he has tons of experience in evaluating talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    We get it guy, nothing the Jets do is wrong in your eyes. You were great as the Iraqi Defense Minister as well.
    Then you don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Okay then we'll just grab one of the other brilliant coaches out there. Seriously Jet fans are delusional. The league is full of teams that suck year after year. We sucked for a long long time. We've have one of the best records in the NFL the last 3 years despite all the flaws, the QB, and no pass rushers. It's seriously unbelievable how Jet fans love to hate on everything about our team, and think that every other team is so much better. You guys must not watch a lot of other teams play. Almost any GM would would kill to have Rex as a Defensive coordinator, and to do that you probably have to call him your head coach. Sorry if I don't want to go back to sucking on both sides of the ball. I'd like to find a way to improve the offense, the character and the personnel of the team, whilst keeping the the only defense that turns QBs like Brady, and Peyton into mere humans.
    THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Guess you've never heard Parcells talk about Rex.

Or realize that they talk often.

But hey, you know it all.
    +1 parcells has spoken very highly of rex, he actually helped him get the job with the jets. not to mention sparano is also a parcells guy as well. I don't know if he would want a GM job but I doubt he would have a problem with the coaching staff

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ian&id=6036077

Perfect scenario. Tanny can stay for the cap.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Well we already have one "reassigned" GM but if these guys can find a niche and finally be effective, sure let's bring in someone. Who? Tanny could certainly stay on as a "capologist" but would he accept the lesser role and would Woody pay him for it? I think he'd even make the same if his contract isn't up.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 12-07-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Tanny is the primary issue, so if he's replaced with someone more capable I could probably accept giving Rex another year.

Giving up on Rex now would be stupid. He's got the seventh most wins in the league since 2009 with a pretty serious void of talent, which falls mostly on Tanny. Bring in a football mind at GM, not a mathmetician. Let that new GM sit and talk with Rex and I would bet that new GM wants to keep him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    +1 parcells has spoken very highly of rex, he actually helped him get the job with the jets. not to mention sparano is also a parcells guy as well. I don't know if he would want a GM job but I doubt he would have a problem with the coaching staff

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ian&id=6036077
    "I was very impressed with Rex when I met with him," Parcells said Tuesday night by phone. "I could just sense that, 'Hey, this guy's going to have a chance.'"
    Wonder if his opinion has changed after watching him for four years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Sorry if I don't want to go back to sucking on both sides of the ball. I'd like to find a way to improve the offense, the character and the personnel of the team, whilst keeping the the only defense that turns QBs like Brady, and Peyton into mere humans.
    Wrecks is 0-5 against Brady in the last 5 regular season games the two teams have played.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Wrecks is 0-5 against Brady in the last 5 regular season games the two teams have played.
    Exactly. This isn't the same Defense it was a few years back.

Everyone knows the way to break Brady is to put pressure in his face. Our D managed only 1 sack (iirc) against one of the worst Olines in the league against the Cards. We have no passrush and RARELY ever get pressure. When you don't get pressure in Brady's face and don't get any push off the line, you're just inviting him to go Madden on your ass.
    Last edited by McGinley; 12-07-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Anything the Jets gained on that night when hell froze over has already been washed out. 0-4 since including the Pats going to the SB and a Thanksgiving game in which our team was embarrassed and our QB became a part of pop-culture.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Giving up on Rex now would be stupid. He's got the seventh most wins in the league since 2009 with a pretty serious void of talent, which falls mostly on Tanny. Bring in a football mind at GM, not a mathmetician. Let that new GM sit and talk with Rex and I would bet that new GM wants to keep him.
    For anyone who is in the "Rex should return in 2013 camp", how would you rank him in these categories.

1. In game management: Time outs, clock, challenges etc

2. Roster management/Personnel evaluation

3. Lockerroom/motivation

4. Coaching Philosophy (ie are we running the right systems)

5. Staff Management - Are the coaches here the right guys for the job

These are the most important jobs that a HC has. How is he doing in each category after 4 years on the job?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I think his troubles in that department are a function of poor decision-making, not the actual details of the contracts themselves.

Take Sanchez for example. Jason at nyjetscap said that his rookie deal was very intelligently constructed. The extension was so unnecessary, and that's more of a bad calculated decision. He got Sanchez at a cheaper price down the road, but that was under the poorly calculated assumption that he'd develop into a franchise signal caller.
    I very seldom disagree with Jason's take on things regrading the cap, but this is one of those times. The construction of his rookie deal was such that it protected the jets on the possibility of him being a complete bust such as Demarcus Russell in that the guaranteed portion of the contract was small, however his salary would explode with incentives if the jets made the playoffs. And we know that it what happened. The bad thing for the jets was that Sanchez rode the coat tails or a good team and did not develop.

This was done with an eye to saving up front cap money that Tanny could use elsewhere short term..

All League
    Makes perfect sense.

Not ideal, but makes sense given everything that has gone on and everything we have been hearing.

Give Rex one more year and put Tanny in the accounting dept.