Thread: David Wright Defers Money to Help Mets

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

David Wright Defers Money to Help Mets

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2012/12/...y-to-help-mets

After signing the big contract, David Wright said that he wanted the Mets to be competitive. Turns out he put his money where his mouth is by deferring short-term salary.

Yes, the contract was huge -- $138 million and the largest contract in Mets history -- but the immediate impact won't be onerous. David Wright made sure of that by reducing his 2012 salary and deferring as much as $15 million of his short-term contract into the future. Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal had the details first:

Brian Costa@BrianCostaWSJ

As part of new deal, I'm told Wright agreed to reduce his 2013 salary to $8M and defer $15M until after 2020.

That must mean that Wright has deferred some of his 2014 salary as well -- he was only slated to make $15 million in 2013, and so there's $8m in deferred salary that he's moved to the back end of this deal in order to give the team some flexibility. Andy Martino of the Daily News said that Wright sat down with Sandy Alderson in order to see the plans for future contention, and that part of that discussion led to the deferred money. More from Martino:

Andy Martino@MartinoNYDN

Wright's discussions w management incredibly detailed, going so far as to look at which free agents will be available in future offseasons.
    He also talked about the phenomenon in his press conference:

I didn’t sign back here to lose. I think that with the plan that Sandy and his staff have, moving forward with commitment from ownership, that not only are we going to get this thing turned around, but we’re going to win. After I heard the conviction, the plan moving forward, I was all in. -- David Wright

Obviously this is just another item in the long list that is Awesome Things About David Wright. Helping the team out in the short term while getting his is a win-win, especially if later (less valuable) money was the outcome.

But the other side of the news still remains -- what is being done with that extra money? We now have heard about $20 million coming off the books this year between Wright's deferral and Bay's release, and the Mets have not been seriously linked with a free agent yet. And they seem to be balking at a reasonable price for R.A. Dickey -- the numbers we're hearing here are two years and $26 million.

The Mets could best thank David Wright for his contributions by finding an outfielder to spend that money on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I feel bad for the guy. In one breath the Wilpons say they will give Sandy more $$ to spend , and in the next they won't go after top tier OFs. He's trapped just like us fans. Dickeys on his way out. Already sellers even before 2013.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 12-06-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

His heart is in the right place for sure.

The anti-Aroid, Jeter. Kudos Brother Wright.

Just like Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    The anti-Aroid, Jeter. Kudos Brother Wright.
    Obviously, just compare the rings.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Dickeys on his way out. Already sellers even before 2013.
    Before we tag them as sellers, lets see IF Dickey goes, and what they get for him. It could wind up improving the offense for 2013.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Before we tag them as sellers, lets see IF Dickey goes, and what they get for him. It could wind up improving the offense for 2013.
    They're sellers. Let a franchise player walk last year, and made no significant FA moves. So now lets's accept what they give us for another winner, and do the same. I've never been a fan of a team owned by anyone more greedy than Freddy. Citi is an awesome place but I ain't going.

Jets Insider VIP
    How did that franchise player work out for Miami

Tejada>>>>Reyes

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    And trading RA for real outfield and/or catching is the right move

38 years old and at the height of his value..a perfect fit for a win now throw money everywhere team with a lousy rotation

Without RA

Harvey Gee Niese Wheeler maybe even Johan still one of the strengths

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    They're sellers. Let a franchise player walk last year, and made no significant FA moves. So now lets's accept what they give us for another winner, and do the same. I've never been a fan of a team owned by anyone more greedy than Freddy. Citi is an awesome place but I ain't going.
    No offense, but pretty ridiculous argument. They let that "franchise player" go after a career year, and he proceeded to not live up to the hefty contract, and is now on a third team in three years.

Their real franchise player they just resigned, and they've made it clear to teams that if they're blown away by offers for Dickey or Niese for MLB ready young stud prospects that improve the offense in the OF or C, they'll deal, otherwise they'll try to resign/retain them. I like Dickey, as a pitcher and a human being, but with Harvey and Wheeler in the wings, and a replacement level outfield at best, deal from strength.

Freddy's an ass, but lets be fair, this early in FA, you cant call them sellers yet.