Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Link to a great article demonstrating Mark Sanchez's failures as a QB

Link to a great article demonstrating Mark Sanchez's failures as a QB

http://deadspin.com/5965609/mark-san...o-play-it-safe

The Jets QB coach needs to be fired along with the entire offensive staff, dont these guys look at film?

Here's a simpler look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1hg7Jfg6T4

His level of fail is glorious.
    Last edited by McGinley; 12-07-2012 at 08:40 AM.

And the Jets redid his contract to give him $8 million if he is cut. Nice brain trust

Bottom line, it all about Anticipation. QB'ing in the NFL requires someone who can anticipate what "will be", not what "is". To Sanchez, you are only open if he sees you open, and by the time he gets you the ball, you are no longer open. Effective QB's see a target that is currently covered but about to be open and releases the ball as the target is breaking coverage.

Jack Dickey ... haha.

Ol Jack Dickey makes some valid points. But as much as we'd like to say we'd like to see "reckless" Sanchez, his completion percentage would drop even further and he'd get crapped on even more, I'd bet. But what the hell, 4 games left and not much of a chance for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Jack Dickey ... haha.

Ol Jack Dickey makes some valid points. But as much as we'd like to say we'd like to see "reckless" Sanchez, his completion percentage would drop even further and he'd get crapped on even more, I'd bet. But what the hell, 4 games left and not much of a chance for the playoffs.

Don't know, fans are less critical when W's are going up in the win column.

These are fantastic examples of poor decisions. It's easy to blame the players around him but here are ironclad examples of guys getting open and Sanchez not seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Jack Dickey ... haha.

I'd much rather go with reckless Sanchez. Now that I think back on it, a lot of his INT's are on short passes.

He can't handle a blitz. The second he feels it coming, he hesitates and bad things happen.

I really hope they don't try to run the ball 50 times and take that approach. I'd rather he he go all out. If he sucks like we know he does then he'll get pulled and we can move on. Or maybe it works and he stops thinking so much and is somewhat successful.

Well this probably doesn't help either. Sigh...Cmmonnn Rex!

One area of that has been lacking, however, has been involvement in the passing game. Greene, McKnight and Powell have combined for just 23 receptions. Ryan said some of that has to do with the desire to throw the ball downfield, but admitted, “I’d like for our backs to catch the ball a little more.”
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2ENk0Wn7N

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Well this probably doesn't help either. Sigh...Cmmonnn Rex!

One area of that has been lacking, however, has been involvement in the passing game. Greene, McKnight and Powell have combined for just 23 receptions. Ryan said some of that has to do with the desire to throw the ball downfield, but admitted, “I’d like for our backs to catch the ball a little more.”
    So with a QB who barely completes 50% of his throws, Wrecks has a desire to throw the ball downfield rather than involving the RB's in the passing game?

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    So with a QB who barely completes 50% of his throws, Wrecks has a desire to throw the ball downfield rather than involving the RB's in the passing game?
    BUT BUT BUT HE SAID HE KNOWS HE'S A GREAT COACH DOE! SAID DIS HIS BESS TEAM EVAR DOE!

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Bottom line, it all about Anticipation. QB'ing in the NFL requires someone who can anticipate what "will be", not what "is". To Sanchez, you are only open if he sees you open, and by the time he gets you the ball, you are no longer open. Effective QB's see a target that is currently covered but about to be open and releases the ball as the target is breaking coverage.
    True, that's timing and experience of which Sanchez has very little with any of his WR's, that's where backs and ends could come more into play.

Talking REX AND TANNY BOTH FAILED AS TALENT EVALUATORS

[QUOTE=Walton10186;4715192]http://deadspin.com/5965609/mark-san...o-play-it-safe

The Jets QB coach needs to be fired along with the entire offensive staff, dont these guys look at film?[/QUOTE

=not news that the jets cant scout. I put most of the blame on the Tanny and the rest on the scouts. When you go 3 preseason games without scoring and still refuse to address the talent level your just being dumb and believing your own hype. The jets have been saying there ground and pound so id like to see them take a stud RB in the draft because Sanchez will be back next year (think the 8mill hes due), for better or worse.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Steve Young does a weekly spot on ESPN that is a very valuable listen. He's always asked about the Jets and he's always had a consistent comment about Mark Sanchez.

His callout is that offense is all about finesse, timing, and a very detailed approach to going about moving the ball. That a good offense requires years of familiarity, and one on one comfortability in order to be successful.

Steve Young feels that Rex Ryan is taking a defensive approach to offense. Putting in a bunch of square pegs in round holes, and patching something together thinking that it will work. His point of view is that it can't work because the defense is more like bowling and an offense is more like ballet. Any guy with a strong motor can barrel down a bunch of pins and make a play. But you can't get someone like that and plug them into the ballet and believe they can dance beautifully. He feels no young quarterback could make it with this approach and until the approach changes nothing is going to change.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Steve Young does a weekly spot on ESPN that is a very valuable listen. He's always asked about the Jets and he's always had a consistent comment about Mark Sanchez.

His callout is that offense is all about finesse, timing, and a very detailed approach to going about moving the ball. That a good offense requires years of familiarity, and one on one comfortability in order to be successful.

Steve Young feels that Rex Ryan is taking a defensive approach to offense. Putting in a bunch of square pegs in round holes, and patching something together thinking that it will work. His point of view is that it can't work because the defense is more like bowling and an offense is more like ballet. Any guy with a strong motor can barrel down a bunch of pins and make a play. But you can't get someone like that and plug them into the ballet and believe they can dance beautifully. He feels no young quarterback could make it with this approach and until the approach changes nothing is going to change.

SAR I
    Translation: We need to give Sanchez at least another 10 years so that he can get familiar with the offense.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    The unfortunate thing is that most of these fans don't have the patience to bring in someone to develop what we already have. They would rather dump some experience and completely start over. I don't think that makes sense in the least bit.

Decent article, but some of those screenshots are misleading. An open Clyde Gates on the outside, really? He had half-a-step, if that. Can you blame Mark for not looking his way? He's not checking down on some all-pro receiver.

With that said, the checking down is a problem. It's no wonder Mark has played his best games, the comebacks of 2010, when making a play becomes instinctual and the thought process is thrown out the window. The conservative mentality has got to go. I thought we had a glimpse of that Week 1 this year. Not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    Decent article, but some of those screenshots are misleading. An open Clyde Gates on the outside, really? He had half-a-step, if that. Can you blame Mark for not looking his way? He's not checking down on some all-pro receiver.

With that said, the checking down is a problem. It's no wonder Mark has played his best games, the comebacks of 2010, when making a play becomes instinctual and the thought process is thrown out the window. The conservative mentality has got to go. I thought we had a glimpse of that Week 1 this year. Not the case.
    Sanchez has zero chance of becoming a good QB in this league if he can't master the short passing game and learn how to hit the checkdown when necessary. All of the top QBs make a living feasting off of defenses doing it, going deep when the opportunity presents itself. Those "best games" you're referring to are the last quarter or several minutes of the game when the team has to air it out to win the game. You can't play an entire game that way and expect to beat NFL defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Sanchez has zero chance of becoming a good QB in this league if he can't master the short passing game and learn how to hit the checkdown when necessary. All of the top QBs make a living feasting off of defenses doing it, going deep when the opportunity presents itself. Those "best games" you're referring to are the last quarter or several minutes of the game when the team has to air it out to win the game. You can't play an entire game that way and expect to beat NFL defenses.
    agreed. but my point being that if you don't periodically air it out early in a game rather than the last few minutes, you equally can't expect to beat NFL defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    It was a Go route. In the nfl, a half step on a go route means that the wr is open. Lay the ball out there and let your receiver run to it.
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 12-07-2012 at 03:25 PM.