Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did the Raiders really trade 2 1st round picks for Palmer?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Jason Campbell was available and had already proven the ability to be a game manager.

The Redskins wanted to trade him to move up for Sanchez. They thought Sanchez would be a stud.
    Once the team decided to go in a certain direction they did everything in their power to make sure they got their man. In this case, they decided to go to the draft and by doing so they had to move up to a comfortable position with a team willing to trade with them in order to get the quarterback they wanted.

I don't know why they didn't like Jason Campbell, but history shows that would've been a bad decision. The Cleveland Browns were sitting in a convenient spot, and all the Jets gave up was a bunch of Eric Mangini scrubs to go play with their old coach.

It's debatable whether or not the Jets gave too much to move up to the five spot in that draft. What is not debatable is the type of player Mark Sanchez was projected to become based on the scouting reports prior to the 2009 draft. No one felt he was worthy of the number one overall selection like Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning or anyone of that ilk. They just took Mark Sanchez at number five because the Cleveland Browns conveniently were sitting there.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    It was a great value to be able to move up like that. Mangini got a bunch of his castoffs, nothing more.

And again, the Jets didn't draft Mark Sanchez to be the next Dan Marino. Of course you hope that that's what he becomes, but the Jets were desperate and there were no other quarterbacks on the roster or in free agency that they could get.

SAR I
    No they guessed wrong, and while they did not think they he would be a top 5 qb of all time. They certainly believed he was a player to build a team around.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I don't know why they didn't like Jason Campbell, but history shows that would've been a bad decision.
    What basis? Campbell's time in Oakland???? Chicago????

You kidding?

Campbell is a big strong game manager.

His career completion percentage is over 60% and his 3+ seasons starting in Washington got progressively better each year.

I don't understand how anybody could think that Tebow, Stanton, Sanchez, or even McElroy were better options than Orton, Campbell, or even Henne.

How do you not even attempt to make that move THEN EXTEND SANCHEZ????

Palmer has been OK. We complain about our OL and WR but out side of maybe RT Oakland is worse all over on O. If Sanchez could get Palmers #s right now I'd be thrilled. He is not the reason they are loosing. That may be the worst D in the league and Palmer gets almost no help on O.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Palmer has been OK. We complain about our OL and WR but out side of maybe RT Oakland is worse all over on O. If Sanchez could get Palmers #s right now I'd be thrilled. He is not the reason they are loosing. That may be the worst D in the league and Palmer gets almost no help on O.
    He's a pretty big reason why they are losing (certainly not the only one). Don't be fooled by those numbers, the majority are put up in complete garbage time. His turnovers have been very critical to many of their games becoming very one-sided. Advanced metrics that factor in the game situation in which passing numbers are attained show Palmer as one of the worst QBs in the league, certainly in the bottom 10. Oakland is in the same place as us at QB: nowhere

All Pro
    in all honesty they should see what happens with henne... they been moving the ball with him and blackmon became an actual viable wide out

Apparently you don't draft QBs from USC or running backs from Penn State.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Agree on Palmer, from the little I saw last night, he put a ball right on a guys hands, guy had a step on champ Bailey as well and he just couldnt haul in the pass

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    What basis? Campbell's time in Oakland???? Chicago????

You kidding?

Campbell is a big strong game manager.

His career completion percentage is over 60% and his 3+ seasons starting in Washington got progressively better each year.

I don't understand how anybody could think that Tebow, Stanton, Sanchez, or even McElroy were better options than Orton, Campbell, or even Henne.

How do you not even attempt to make that move THEN EXTEND SANCHEZ????
    I don't know about Henne, but Campbell got $3.5M, Orton got over $5M. The Tebow costs $1.5, Stanton was less. They should ahve gotten one of those guys, but that's done now.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    No they guessed wrong, and while they did not think they he would be a top 5 qb of all time. They certainly believed he was a player to build a team around.
    still waiting for that part to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I don't know about Henne, but Campbell got $3.5M, Orton got over $5M. The Tebow costs $1.5, Stanton was less. They should ahve gotten one of those guys, but that's done now.
    Campbell was coming off an injury so was more of the risk really. I wanted him or Garrard but not many shared that opinion. Henne I just hate almost as much as McEnutts.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Agree on Palmer, from the little I saw last night, he put a ball right on a guys hands, guy had a step on champ Bailey as well and he just couldnt haul in the pass

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah hard for me to defend given I've only seen like 30 min of him playing this year but his stats look miles ahead of Mark and he has a lot less around him IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Apparently you don't draft QBs from USC or running backs from Penn State.
    umm Lydell Mitchell and Franco Harris and Curt Warner say hi!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    umm Lydell Mitchell and Franco Harris and Curt Warner say hi!
    Anybody recent? Probably over half the guys on this board were not even born until after theses guys retired.

All League
    Maybe those crazy Raiders would give up a 1st for Suckchez... oh wait, even they wouldn't do that deal.

if Carson had spent 2003-2012 with NYJ he'd be rivaling Namath...