Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did the Raiders really trade 2 1st round picks for Palmer?

Did the Raiders really trade 2 1st round picks for Palmer?

Christ, what a terrible trade. Palmer sucks hairy assssssssss. Raiders are a major joke. (Just like the Jets) And just where is Raider fan 90210? He defended that trade practically swearing on his life that Palmer was the real deal. Haha. Wrong!

USC QBs generally suck

1st last year, and 2nd this year (think only was a 1st if the Raiders made playoffs last yr)

What a terrible trade, Bengals got a freaking steal

The only thing I can think of that was worse was giving up picks to move up to #5 for Rain Man Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    The only thing I can think of that was worse was giving up picks to move up to #5 for Rain Man Sanchez.
    we swapped 1sts and gave a 2nd in addition to a handful of journeymen scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    USC QBs generally suck
    Carson Palmer was great until he hurt his knee. The low, cheap hit by Kimo basically turned a great QB into a mediocre one.

On other side - what a joy to see some of Payton passes. I know he lost some zip, but man.. His receiver surrounded by 4 guys, just sticking his hands in the air - and boom, ball is right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Carson Palmer was great until he hurt his knee. The low, cheap hit by Kimo basically turned a great QB into a mediocre one.
    OK I'll stipulate that Palmer had something going on until the injury.

But, take a look at the other USC QBs who played in the NFL:
    Mark Sanchez, Matt Leinart, Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, Matt Cassel, Bill Nelsen, Pete Beathard, Vince Evans, Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson AND John David Booty.

In general, USC QBs do not have a good track record.

Jets Insider VIP
    I do not know about this. Brady blew his knee out and he is as good as ever.

All League
    Palmer throws a beautiful ball... but just there's something missing with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Oh D-Cat, you had to remind me..

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Acl/Mcl and a kneecap, hurts typing it.

All League
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. Besides, the Raiders are known for crap like that. However, they suckered us into giving up a 1st for TE Jolley.

Palmer this season is ultimate case of stats lying and not telling the story. If you look at his raw passing numbers alone, he seems to be having a decent season:

3,800 yards passing, 61% completion, 22 TDs, 14 INTs, 85 passer rating (17th in league)

The reality is though, at least half of the "good" portion of those numbers have come in absolute garbage time and were meaningless to the outcome of the games. His turnovers have all come though when the game was still a game and gave his team no reasonable chance to win. ESPN's QBR stat actually is useful to evaluate him, it has him as one of the worst QBs in the league (#26, although still far better than Sanchez, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. Besides, the Raiders are known for crap like that. However, they suckered us into giving up a 1st for TE Jolley.
    Who did we draft with their #2? That was Mike Nugent wasn't it?

This is the same stupid effer that is running our scouting and we wonder why we suck! We should start calling him Woody Vagina because he sure as hell doesn't have a Johnson...keeping people like that employed. SMH.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Who did we draft with their #2? That was Mike Nugent wasn't it?

This is the same stupid effer that is running our scouting and we wonder why we suck! We should start calling him Woody Vagina because he sure as hell doesn't have a Johnson...keeping people like that employed. SMH.
    I think so. If it was, that's another knee jerk reaction from Doug brien. Could of easily of signed a FA kicker that year

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Palmer throws a beautiful ball... but just there's something missing with him.
    He can't make a read.

Lest we forget:

Palmer's best season had a fully healthy and still incredible Ochocinco and Housh pairing.

He's simply not that good. Nor was he ever. The injury combined with the degradation of Johnson and Housh's skills and the mental idiocy of Chris Henry ruined this guy.

He was NEVER like Peyton, Brees, etc., guys who elevate their Wideouts. Palmer was and always will be a product of his wideouts.

He has a huge arm and quick release, but he is best in a situation where he throws it up and lets his guy make plays for it (like Eli) rather than trying to confuse you and pick you apart like Manning or Brady.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    It was a great value to be able to move up like that. Mangini got a bunch of his castoffs, nothing more.

And again, the Jets didn't draft Mark Sanchez to be the next Dan Marino. Of course you hope that that's what he becomes, but the Jets were desperate and there were no other quarterbacks on the roster or in free agency that they could get.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    And again, the Jets didn't draft Mark Sanchez to be the next Dan Marino. Of course you hope that that's what he becomes, but the Jets were desperate and there were no other quarterbacks on the roster or in free agency that they could get.
    Jason Campbell was available and had already proven the ability to be a game manager.

The Redskins wanted to trade him to move up for Sanchez. They thought Sanchez would be a stud.