Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you like this defensive lineup for 2013?

All Pro

How would you like this defensive lineup for 2013?

DE Muhammad Wilkerson
    NT Sione Pouha
    DE Quinton Coples
    OLB Anthony Spencer (FA signing)
    ILB David Harris
    ILB Demario Davis
    OLB Dion Jordan (1st Round Pick)
    CB Darrelle Revis
    FS Laron Landry
    SS Shawn Williams (Second/Third Round Pick)
    CB Antonio Cromartie

Much more athletic lineup than this year, plenty of size and speed plus the pass rush should be improved. Depth should also be pretty good as we have guys like Kyle Wilson, Kenrick Ellis and some younger veterans on the bench. Maybe even bring back Bryan Thomas as an insurance.

Jets Insider VIP
    2 new linebackers brings a smile to my face.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    DE Muhammad Wilkerson
    NT Sione Pouha
    DE Quinton Coples
    ILB David Harris
    ILB Demario Davis
    CB Darrelle Revis
    FS Laron Landry
    CB Antonio Cromartie

Much more athletic lineup than this year, plenty of size and speed plus the pass rush should be improved. Depth should also be pretty good as we have guys like Kyle Wilson, Kenrick Ellis and some younger veterans on the bench. Maybe even bring back Bryan Thomas as an insurance.
    Two medium to highly paid free agents and the first two draft picks used all on defense, doubtful that happens.

It looks very solid, but I'm not so sure if Tannenbaum is replaced that a new GM is going to go D in 2 of the first 3 picks, especially considering how woeful this team is on offense. We certainly do need a pass rusher at OLB, I'm not opposed to a first round pick for that if we can find the right guy.

Pouha presents way too much cap savings to keep considering he is hurt and that at his age, back problems are really problematic. Plus we have kenrick ellis who should be more then capable by next year to step in.

I also think if we are going to go DE, especially with a guy like jordan, we need to move to a base 4-3 defense. We can have a dominant line with wilk and ellis being DTs and jordan (draft pick) at one end and coples at the other.

Lastly, as good as williams is, I dont think we can use a high pick on a safety. We need to fill OLB and I dont think we have the cap space for spencer. Id rather get an OLB like kasheem greene that can stay on the field as a blitzer or in coverage and allow us some verstaility.

Practice Squad
    Would sign up for that in a heartbeat! The only negative in that lineup is SS. We really shouldn't draft 2 defensive players within 3 picks. Outside of the first round, I wouldn't mind if every pick went on the offensive side. I'm hoping Allen develops in a solid player at safety.

and who plays offense praytell?

Pouha is probably done as anything close to an every-down lineman.

All Pro
    Good points on the two early selections on defense, love Shawn Williams as a prospect and maybe we get him in round three. I would also be fine with a safety later as I think a center fielder is easier to find.

Dion Jordan to me is the perfect OLB for Rex. He is extremely versatile, excels in coverage and can be lined up at a lot of spots. He can also legitimately play all three downs, something you look for now more than ever in your defensive players.

Jets Insider VIP
    Id also like to see us go to a 4-3 front.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Pouha is probably done as anything close to an every-down lineman.
    You are propably right, just thought that he looked good recently, still has a year (could save us money though) and is one of the vocal leaders of the team. I'm just not ready to give Kenrick Ellis the starting nod just yet, he really hasnt shown enough this year to warrant that. Unfortunately...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Id also like to see us go to a 4-3 front.
    I don't think this will happen, mainly due to the reason that Rex loves to change fronts anyways depending on the opponent. We play a ton of four man fronts with only two inside linemen...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Repeating what's already been said -

Pouha is a likely cap casualty. Ellis needs to step up.

There's no way the Jets can afford to bring in two mid/high $$$ FA. We have an average of like $1.5 per position to fill about 10 spots.

If the Jets spend their first two picks on defense, who plays on offense? Greene and Keller are walking. We're losing Moore and Slauson from the OL. Schillins and Gates were one year fillers. And that's not even taking our QB situation into account.

Hall Of Fame
    Good points on the two early selections on defense, love Shawn Williams as a prospect and maybe we get him in round three. I would also be fine with a safety later as I think a center fielder is easier to find.

Dion Jordan to me is the perfect OLB for Rex. He is extremely versatile, excels in coverage and can be lined up at a lot of spots. He can also legitimately play all three downs, something you look for now more than ever in your defensive players.
    I dont see Jordan as a perfect 3-4 OLB. He is 6'7" 245, seems more like a 4-3 DE to me.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Repeating what's already been said -

Pouha is a likely cap casualty. Ellis needs to step up.

There's no way the Jets can afford to bring in two mid/high $$$ FA. We have an average of like $1.5 per position to fill about 10 spots.

If the Jets spend their first two picks on defense, who plays on offense? Greene and Keller are walking. We're losing Moore and Slauson from the OL. Schillins and Gates were one year fillers. And that's not even taking our QB situation into account.
    I really hope we keep slauson for one more year. Not because he is a great player or that i even like him....he just should be relatively cheap, has continuity with mangold and brick, and finding 2 new guards is really difficult.

Greenes replacement is already here, in powell. He can be a starting RB in the NFL, we just need someone in addition to mcknight back there...hopefully that can be found in round 3. No idea where we get a TE from, but time will tell on that one

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I really hope we keep slauson for one more year. Not because he is a great player or that i even like him....he just should be relatively cheap, has continuity with mangold and brick, and finding 2 new guards is really difficult.

Greenes replacement is already here, in powell. He can be a starting RB in the NFL, we just need someone in addition to mcknight back there...hopefully that can be found in round 3. No idea where we get a TE from, but time will tell on that one
    We need a play making RB. I wouldnt be against grabbing one in the first 2 rounds of this draft. Powell/McKnight/mid round pick doesnt do much for us.

As for Slauson, I agree. The issue is- does Slauson want to be here? The Jets have been taking him out to play Ducasse every third/fourth series. On the open market, he'll get some interest.

Banned
    DE Muhammad Wilkerson
    NT Sione Pouha
    DE Quinton Coples
    ILB David Harris
    ILB Demario Davis
    CB Darrelle Revis
    FS Laron Landry
    CB Antonio Cromartie
    So you'd rather use top drafts picks on defense rather than trying to find some playmakers on offense?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    So you'd rather use top drafts picks on defense rather than trying to find some playmakers on offense?
    Who do you suggest we take?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Who do you suggest we take?
    Jets gotta go WR with the first pick, RB with the 2nd or 3rd.

Fill defensive needs through FA.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Jets gotta go WR with the first pick, RB with the 2nd or 3rd.

Fill defensive needs through FA.
    Austin from WV?