Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How would you like this defensive lineup for 2013?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Passing on a player because "we addressed defense the last few years" is a sure fire way to wind up making a mistake. We have to to the best to pair needs with the BPA, if thats and olb then so be it.
    Passing on a player, particularly QB, because Kiper and some scouts say the draft class is weak or they don't love the guy, could also be a mistake. Nobody loved Russell Wilson, they said he was a reach even in the 3rd round. Think Seattle regrets making that pick? Leading up to the draft, Kiper and crew weren't so hot on Aaron Rodgers either, they weren't sure he was a franchise QB, same stuff you hear about Smith and Barkley now from the same people. Personally I've soured on USC QBs for a lifetime, but I would not be opposed to a guy like Geno Smith if our new GM likes him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor

if all of the STUD OLBs are gone when we pick first round.

Absolutely CANNOT spend the first 2 draft picks on defense thought. Have to start finding some offensive talent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Passing on a player, particularly QB, because Kiper and some scouts say the draft class is weak or they don't love the guy, could also be a mistake. Nobody loved Russell Wilson, they said he was a reach even in the 3rd round. Think Seattle regrets making that pick? Leading up to the draft, Kiper and crew weren't so hot on Aaron Rodgers either, they weren't sure he was a franchise QB, same stuff you hear about Smith and Barkley now from the same people. Personally I've soured on USC QBs for a lifetime, but I would not be opposed to a guy like Geno Smith if our new GM likes him.
    If the Jets think that they can draft a franchise QB, fine. But considering that this QB class is weak and that the Jets will most likely pick in the middle it is unlikely they will find their guy. On top of that people have to beware of Russell Wilson, yes he looks great so far but it's gonna be interesting how he looks next year when the league catches up to him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Have you watched him?! His size would indeed make you believe otherwise but he is actually a perfect OLB. He already played at Oregon in a hybrid role that routinely saw him line up in coverage against TEs and even slot receivers. Yes, he is that mobile which makes him special considering his size. He is not considered a pure pass rusher but part of that is because Oregon really doesnt use him as an edge rusher every down.
    I know he is a converted TE and is athletic, I just wonder how he will hold up against the run and what his pass rush skills really are. When you look at him he just looks like a 4-3 DE. Interesting skill set to say the least.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor

if all of the STUD OLBs are gone when we pick first round.

Absolutely CANNOT spend the first 2 draft picks on defense thought. Have to start finding some offensive talent.
    As much as I love the talent at WR in this draft non of them are worth a 1st for us. Allen is the closest to a #1 talent and still not much better then Hill if at all. Honestly he doesn't scream beast to me, Hill maybe. There is a bunch of short 5'9-6'2 WRs that are future #2 or #3s. Jumping on Williams or any WRs in the 1st would just be a bad move. I think there will still be very good value in the 3rd 4th rounds. Guys like Robert Woods, Quinton Patton, and Aaron Dobson could all be drops to look for in mid rounds.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    All depends on the price. He is a good S but really nothing worth big money IMO. Anything over 4 mil a year and I will pass. He is physical which fits us well but I don't see anyone jumping on him over Reed, Moore, or Goldson. Bush also looks pretty good sitting behind him SS seems more of the need.
    Reggie Nelson got 4mil last year!!! Goldson got paid 6 mill last year. No way Landry signs for less than 5 per. He may have to give some injury protection to the team, but he will get the money. IMO Reed will not be in the market. Moore
    is the #1 SS, Landry is next.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Reggie Nelson got 4mil last year!!! Goldson got paid 6 mill last year. No way Landry signs for less than 5 per. He may have to give some injury protection to the team, but he will get the money. IMO Reed will not be in the market. Moore
    Correct. Eric Weddle and Antoine Bethea both made over 5 million this year. Even Kerry Rhodes makes close to 4 million.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the jets need to address the oline. Three starters are FA and none is a player that you would want starting.

I think the jets should trade down in the first to the 25-32 range either once if the finish 8-8 or twice if the pick around 12. They need to pick up extra picks and build the oline. Maybe Sanchez will play better, maybe the rb will run better, maybe the wr will have time to make a double move.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Nelson had 12 PD and 4 INTs last year. Landry has never been that good and is not worth more then that. Yeah he is a better tackler and gets the fumbles but is not a great cover S. I love his ability but he is not worth more then 4 mil a year. Goldson is one of the best in the league. Landry is not even looking at that tier.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Correct. Eric Weddle and Antoine Bethea both made over 5 million this year. Even Kerry Rhodes makes close to 4 million.
    Exactly both better then Landry. Your talking guys who have actually made pro bowls.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Jets gotta go WR with the first pick, RB with the 2nd or 3rd.

Fill defensive needs through FA.
    What about the OL? Both guard are FAs as well as the TE.

Oh and BTW we need a QB.

@ this team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nelson had 12 PD and 4 INTs last year. Landry has never been that good and is not worth more then that. Yeah he is a better tackler and gets the fumbles but is not a great cover S. I love his ability but he is not worth more then 4 mil a year. Goldson is one of the best in the league. Landry is not even looking at that tier.
    Landry has been playing more FS than Strong safety this year as Bell is worse in coverage than he is. A team that signs Landry is not looking for a 220lb FS. They are going to be looking for a lynch/harrison type not a Ed Reed/Rhodes center fielder.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly both better then Landry. Your talking guys who have actually made pro bowls.
    Come on,

I wouldnt say that Weddle is better than Landry. Dont you remember the yesteryear of the jets Safety concerns?

It hasnt been too much of an issue this year even with Revis out. Enter Landry.

Secondary has been strong.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weddle is one of the best safeties in the game and got a 5 yer 40 mill with 1/2 of it guaranteed. Bethea's contract is 4 years and 27 mill and both of these contract were signed 2 years ago.

no, he wont get 6.5 like Bethea or 8 mill like Weddle, but he is going to get more than 4mill which is only a 1/4 mill raise over what he made this year.