Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it unprofessional for a team to run the same play over and over in a close game?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it unprofessional for a team to run the same play over and over in a close game?

No...this is was not posted in the Onion.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/12/0...disrespectful/

“It really (ticked) me off. It was disrespectful to us to run the same play over and over and be successful,” defensive tackle Tony McDaniel told the Palm Beach Post’s Brian Biggane. “Normally when somebody’s driving down the field you just think, ‘Well, they just had a good run there,’ but you run the same play over and over, as a competitor that (ticks) me off.”
    Lolz...dolphins.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bread and Butter plays are just that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait, let me get this straight: They're mad because you were running the same play and they couldn't stop it? Sounds like they might need to look inward on this one...
    Last edited by McGinley; 12-07-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    i'm reminded of the Jets game vs the Raiders.. what was it.. 2002ish? where they had a drive where they ran the ball 21 straight times for a TD. Our defense obviously could not stop the run.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I ran a play and you didn't defend it, 9 times out of 10 I'd run that play again.

The simple fact that most OC's do not run it again is indication as to why most OC's are unemployed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you run a play and have success, why not run it again and again until they adjust to stop it?

Sounds like he didn't like getting run over every down and got torn a new hole in film review.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    If you run a play and have success, why not run it again and again until they adjust to stop it?

Sounds like he didn't like getting run over every down and got torn a new hole in film review.
    You're seriously trying to explain and rebut Tony McDaniel's logic? We're not talking about a Mensa member, you know.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    You're seriously trying to explain and rebut Tony McDaniel's logic? We're not talking about a Mensa member, you know.
    Someone should ask him.. if the fins ran a blitz and got a sack, would it be unprofessional to keep running the blitz again and again?

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to do the same thing in Tecmo Bowl on Nintendo.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    i'm reminded of the Jets game vs the Raiders.. what was it.. 2002ish? where they had a drive where they ran the ball 21 straight times for a TD. Our defense obviously could not stop the run.
    Orrrrrrr the one where they kept throwing bombs to Tim Brown, when some genius thought giving a shot to Vance Joseph to play NFL football was a good idea.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Normally I'd think it was just sour grapes, but it was Belichick and McDaniels dialing up those plays and they've made careers out of disrespecting the game of football, so he has a point. They were probably really enjoying patting themselves on the back afterwords.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    Normally I'd think it was just sour grapes, but it was Belichick and McDaniels dialing up those plays and they've made careers out of disrespecting the game of football, so he has a point. They were probably really enjoying patting themselves on the back afterwords.
    You're right. It would have been more respectable to have tried the "assfumble" play after a successful run.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    You're right. It would have been more respectable to have tried the "assfumble" play after a successful run.
    No, that would have been very disrespectful mocking of the Jets for an unfortunate, broken play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I used to do the same thing in Tecmo Bowl on Nintendo.

Bo Jackson!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pats go no huddle: OHH MYY GERRDDD PASTS ARE RUNNING UP THE SCORE!
    Pats run out the clock: DISREPECTFULL!

Your logic is impeccable, I truly commend you for your insight.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't stand a coaching staff that has a killer mentality like a dominant middle linebacker.

Coaching staffs should be professional, pleasant, respectful and joke around a lot.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I can't stand a coaching staff that has a killer mentality like a dominant middle linebacker.

Coaching staffs should be professional, pleasant, respectful and joke around a lot.

SAR I
    You can beat your opponent without disrespecting the game. Belichick is specifically interested in disrespecting the game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I found that benching Sanchez and bringing in McElroy last week was very disrespectful to the Cards' defense. They were playing extremely hard and shutting out the Jets, so what do the Jets do? They bring in a DIFFERENT QB just so they can score a touchdown on that defense. Freakin' classless Rex.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can beat your opponent without disrespecting the game. Belichick is specifically interested in disrespecting the game.
    Or, Bill Belichick has studied the NFL enough to know that older coaches running the remnants of a dynasty lose their edge and lose their teams in the process.

If you've watched any of the specials about the history of the NFL or the legacy of the AFL you know that Bill Belichick respects the game probably more than any other head coach in the league right now.

He is not going out of his way to disrespect the sport; rather he is trying to instill a killer mentality in the minds of his team and his coaching staff so they don't get soft after years and years of rattling off 13 wins as if they're cutting through butter.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Orrrrrrr the one where they kept throwing bombs to Tim Brown, when some genius thought giving a shot to Vance Joseph to play NFL football was a good idea.
    i was at that game in 1995. 47-10 loss. night game. empty stadium mid way through the 3rd quarter.

the only good things about that night? 1) I was 17 and could get drunk off of a few cans of ****ty beer & 2) my upper deck ticket only set me back $25