Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro Football Focus Offensive Line Rankings

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Pro Football Focus Offensive Line Rankings

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...od_nfl_xxx_xxx

Unless you watch every snap of every game, it's nigh on impossible to evaluate offensive line play. You can infer some things from numbers, but that can often lead to incorrect conclusions.

For example, logic would say that Aaron Rodgers getting sacked the most of any quarterback means he has the worst pass-protecting line, right? Except that conclusion overlooks the fact eight of those sacks were due to Rodgers' decisions and another two were the results of skill position players not picking up the pass rush. It also doesn't consider the fact Rodgers is guilty of having the sixth-highest average time to sack (from when the ball is snapped) of any player in the league.

With our game charting and grading, however, Pro Football Focus accounts for those factors. And that is why the Packers are the 11th-ranked pass-blocking line in our rankings.

This season, we've seen how poor line play can totally cripple a team -- not to mention a quarterback. But which are the best and worst lines in the league? Let's take a look.

2012 offensive line rankings
    Pro Football Focus grades every play of every game to evaluate the performance of the offensive line. On any given play, a player will get a positive or negative score between plus-2.0 and minus-2.0 (with 0 being average) depending on how well or badly they executed their assignment. All plays get tallied up and normalized to account for total snaps played to generate the game grade. The grades below represent the cumulative total of all offensive lineman game grades for each team. Overall grade combines elements of pass blocking, run blocking and penalties taken. For more on PFF's grading methodology, click here.

Team Overall
    SF 1
    NE 2
    NO 3
    CIN 4
    NYJ 5
    DEN 6
    KC 7
    DET 8
    MIN 9
    CLE 10
    TEN 11
    HOU 12
    BUF 13
    BAL 14
    NYG 15
    ATL 16
    PHI 17
    PIT 18
    WAS 19
    GB 20
    MIA 21
    TB 22
    DAL 23
    SEA 24
    OAK 25
    STL 26
    SD 27
    IND 28
    CAR 29
    JAC 30
    CHI 31
    ARI 32
    The maulers -- San Francisco 49ers

In our pass protection rankings, the 49ers could only finish 12th. Yet their run blocking is so much better than any other team that they're comfortably our top graded line out there.

You could really pick out any member of the unit and call them a star, with every one building a case toward a Pro Bowl or even All Pro nod. For me the star of the unit is Joe Staley. Yes he's given up six sacks, but look past that. He's given up just 19 total quarterback disruptions on 384 rushes and has a run-block grade that puts all other tackles to shame.

The big change in this group from 2011 to 2012 is the addition of Alex Boone. Not only should he be under consideration for a Pro Bowl spot, but when you consider he's replacing a guy who is currently our third-lowest ranked guard on the year (Adam Snyder), you see a dramatic swing in production from the right guard spot. This is as good a line as I've seen during my time with PFF.

The maligned -- Arizona Cardinals

How do you sum up this line? Some of the problems you can't put on them. As bad as Levi Brown had been for Arizona, his improvement in the second half of 2011 made his loss in 2012 a bitter blow. But how they could start D'Anthony Batiste at left tackle for nine games is beyond comprehension. There can't have been many tackles in NFL history as badly overmatched as he was, with his 88.6 pass blocking efficiency rating ranking as one of the all-time worst since the metric was created.

When you compound that by handing out sizeable deals to a perennially poor performer like Snyder, you're asking for trouble. You have to question the front office and scouting department in that regard.

For all the negativity (and they are our lowest ranked line) there are some positives. Bobby Massie was apparently sick of being at the bottom of our rankings and has done something about it; Daryn Colledge is grading positively for the year; and even seventh-round tackle Nate Potter has shown more in three starts than Batiste did all season. While it's getting better, the Cardinals' line still has a long way to go to even be considered adequate.

The injured -- Philadelphia Eagles

It may seem odd but Philadelphia finds itself a very creditable 17th overall in our rankings. That's way down on its second-place spot in 2011, but given the amount of injuries the Eagles have had it's not bad at all.

Losing Pro Bowl-caliber players like Todd Herremans and Jason Peters will always hurt your team, but the Eagles can be happy that their investment in Evan Mathis paid off. He was our top-ranked guard last year, and hasn't rested on his laurels this year.

Their position in the rankings will likely be a surprise, but it's important for everyone to remember that blocking for a guy like Michael Vick is different than blocking for almost any other quarterback. Indeed, the average time of sack for Vick was 4.02 seconds, the highest in the league. It is very tough for any offensive line to sustain blocks for that long.

If Peters, Herremans and Jason Kelce can return next year, don't be surprised to see this line dominate, whoever the quarterback and head coach are.

The underrated -- New York Jets

This is really going to surprise some people. I maintain that Jets fans have been spoiled in recent memory by having the league's best offensive line. Now any drop feels like a plunge into mediocrity, but that's just not been the case.

Nick Mangold isn't having his most consistent year, but is still playing some fine football. Both guards are playing above average, even if Matt Slauson is struggling in the run game. And D'Brickashaw Ferguson? Well, he hasn't given up a sack and has been near shutdown on the blind side.

No, this unit is being made a scapegoat. They've gotten better and better since moving on from Wayne Hunter, with Austin Howard making up for some pass-protection problems with some good work in the run game. The real problem is that when they do allow pressure, their quarterback (Mark Sanchez) is so bad at dealing with it that it makes the pressure stand out that much more. As it is they've allowed only 97 combined sacks, hits and hurries -- seventh fewest in the league.
    Very interesting information from a very reliable place.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    But...but...our OL is terrible and doesn't give Sanchez the 10 seconds he needs to complete a pass!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real problem is that when they do allow pressure, their quarterback (Mark Sanchez) is so bad at dealing with it that it makes the pressure stand out that much more.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The many, many ways that Mark Harringtonchez sucks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surprised NE's is ranked that high considering Mankins has missed half the season. Solder is first year, guard, center position is musical chairs, and Vollmer has been playing at all pro level when he's played but has missed some games too. It's been makeshift all year long.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Surprised NE's is ranked that high considering Mankins has missed half the season. Solder is first year, guard, center position is musical chairs, and Vollmer has been playing at all pro level when he's played but has missed some games too. It's been makeshift all year long.
    I think that NEs is somewhat the opposite of ours in the sense that Brady always has them in the correct calls and gets rid of the ball so quickly that the lineman dont give up as many sacks or pressures.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    But...but...our OL is terrible and doesn't give Sanchez the 10 seconds he needs to complete a pass!!
    Paging SAR (Same Assinine Rhetoric)......Paging SAR

Want to lay some more blame away from Sanchez?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

LOL.

Would be funny if it wasn't true. Although 10 may be conservative.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry but the line doesn't pass the eye test.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Sure they do

What doesn't pass the eye test is Sanchez constantly dancing around in the pocket like a chicken with his head cut off, even when the OL gives him ample time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is because you are comparing it to years when we had faneca and woody and a younger bradon moore. That was a line with 5 guys who had all played in a pro bowl, that NEVER happens.

You need to compare it to other teams in the league. We are better then a LOT of them. We cant run as well because no team in the league is afraid of our spastic QB. We give up sacks because our QB regularly holds the ball 2 seconds too long. These sacks are HUGE problems for us because often times he fumbles when sacked. Lastly, our QB cant go to his second read or throw down the field, so 1 sack usually ruins a drive for us....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey Shonn Greene is averaging a very good 4.4 per carry over his last 150 totes and we all know how terrible he is, right? No sacks given up by a LT? That is awesome. Even the SOJFs can't deny this. yet some how those miserable bastids will. just another nail in the Sanchez coffin.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's got to be tough being a Sanchez Fan these days.

For him not to be one of the worst QB's in the NFL, EVERY OTHER PLAYER on the Jets has to suck.

Psst, the Jets overall are not nearly as bad or talentless as Sanchez Fans like to think. We're average or above average pretty much everywhere except RB and pass rush, and even our RB comittee is servicable despite facing stacked anti-run D's who know Sanchez cannot beat them.

Where we're way below average in at QB. 32nd ranked, worst in turnovers overall, worst in giving points to the other team, etc, etc, etc.

End of the day, I'll take this O-line as built today, Howard included, over Mark Sanchez any day of the week. If we have to dump one, it's sure not Nick mangold and D'Brick I'm getting rid of if the other option is Sanchez.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-07-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    That is because you are comparing it to years when we had faneca and woody and a younger bradon moore. That was a line with 5 guys who had all played in a pro bowl, that NEVER happens.

You need to compare it to other teams in the league. We are better then a LOT of them. We cant run as well because no team in the league is afraid of our spastic QB. We give up sacks because our QB regularly holds the ball 2 seconds too long. These sacks are HUGE problems for us because often times he fumbles when sacked. Lastly, our QB cant go to his second read or throw down the field, so 1 sack usually ruins a drive for us....
    Such simplistic thinking. Most of our players would be backups on other teams. Especially the offensive skill players. People thinking that we're a QB away from being a contender are kidding themselves.

Occams razor - the reason the running game sucks...is because the runningbacks suck.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It has been argued that Sanchez has crap to work with @ RB, WR, and O-Line, but could not Sancez be the crap that makes ALL these positions look worse than they are?

Not definite, but surely possible.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    It's got to be tough being a Sanchez Fan these days.

For him not to be one of the worst QB's in the NFL, EVERY OTHER PLAYER on the Jets has to suck.

Psst, the Jets overall are not nearly as bad or talentless as Sanchez Fans like to think. We're average or above average pretty much everywhere except RB and pass rush, and even our RB comittee is servicable despite facing stacked anti-run D's who know Sanchez cannot beat them.

Where we're way below average in at QB. 32nd ranked, worst in turnovers overall, worst in giving points to the other team, etc, etc, etc.

End of the day, I'll take this O-line as built today, Howard included, over Mark Sanchez any day of the week. If we have to dump one, it's sure not Nick mangold and D'Brick I'm getting rid of if the other option is Sanchez.

Agreed.

When it's all said and done, this team is going to end up 8-8 if not 9-7. But it's going to be one of the ugliest 8-8/9-7 teams in the history of the NFL. Why? Because of the FO's utter mismanagement of just about everything and Sanchez.

Sure there's a lot of other guys and coaches that stink on this team....but the biggest turd of them all is Sanchez.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Occams razor - the reason the running game sucks...is because the runningbacks suck.
    Sadly, that wasn't true even recently under Pennington. Our runnign game sucked because Pennington (post injury) couldn't beat anyone via the air. Cue the stacked boxes and run-stuffing priority as a way to defeat the Jets.

Same goes for Sanchez the Mighty Turnover Machine. No one is scared of him via the air. They know he'll toss at least 4 potential INT's a game, and fumble at least once. Thats 5 possible turnover a game just from Sanchez's bad play.

They know any pressure means a sack or an INT or a fumble. They don't even need to blitz, because Sanchez just sits there lie a blind molerat in the pocket. Too dumb even to throw it away.

Hate to break it to you my SOJF friend, but Holmes, Kerley and Keller are all absolutely starters on many other teams in this league. On some teams, any one of these three could be a pro-bowler tbqh.

Our RB's are individually weak, amde weaker due to our absolute non-threat at QB. Combined, they are absolutely a servicable comittee.

Again, we have a choice, we can either cut the entire roster to get better....or we can cut Sanchez to get better.

I know which one is vastly more realistic.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-07-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Sadly, that wasn't true even recently under Pennington. Our runnign game sucked because Pennington (post injury) couldn't beat anyone via the air. Cue the stacked boxes and run-stuffing priority as a way to defeat the Jets.

Same goes for Sanchez the Mighty Turnover Machine. No one is scared of him via the air. They know he'll toss at least 4 potential INT's a game, and fumble at least once. Thats 5 possible turnover a game just from Sanchez's bad play.

They know any pressure means a sack or an INT or a fumble. They don't even need to blitz, because Sanchez just sits there lie a blind molerat in the pocket. Too dumb even to throw it away.

Hate to break it to you my SOJF friend, but Holmes, Kerley and Keller are all absolutely starters on many other teams in this league. On some teams, any one of these three could be a pro-bowler tbqh.

Our RB's are individually weak, amde weaker due to our absolute non-threat at QB. Combined, they are absolutely a servicable comittee.

Again, we have a choice, we can either cut the entire roster to get better....or we can cut Sanchez to get better.

I know which one is vastly more realistic.
    Easy counter - the Jets had the top ranked rushing offense in 2009 with Sanchez having roughly the same QB rating (I didn't look this up but I'm sure it's close).

Also, I want us to draft a QB and sign one in FA. But I'm not so big of a homer to think that we can score enough points with these receivers and runningbacks. We have to use more of our resources on offense. The talent is just not there, every analyst and fans from every other fan base know this.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Easy counter - the Jets had the top ranked rushing offense in 2009 with Sanchez having roughly the same QB rating (I didn't look this up but I'm sure it's close).
    Thats not really a counter old friend.

Sanchez was equally bad (generally) for most of all FOUR years he's been in the league.

We were admittedly better on both running O and on D previously (as it turns out), thats not really whats being debated.

Whats being debated is Sanchez's effect, which as it turns out, is almost entirely negative now. Before it was at least hit or miss, now it's all miss.

So when the team takes a half-step back as a unit on D (which they clearly did, especially without Revis) and a step-back on the ground (as they did, IMO due to poor utilization of Powell and McKnight and an overreliance on Greene), the results are predictable.

The D and Runnign Game can no longer combien to overcome Sanchez's turnovers, ineffectiveness and overall poor play.

Also, I want us to draft a QB and sign one in FA.
    Which you'd only want if you felt Sanchez was not our answer and new answer was required, because if you had faith in Sanchez but doubts on D and RB, you'd not spend a penny on another backup QB, you'd spend it on the D and RB.

But I'm not so big of a homer to think that we can score enough points with these receivers and runningbacks.
    Agree to disagree. I think our receivers are absolutely fine with Holmes, Kerley, Hill and Keller and Cumberland. We need a new #4 WR and #5 WR, thats about it.

RB, I think we'd be fine if we cut Greene, player Powell and McKnight, and drafted for depth.

The talent is just not there, every analyst and fans from every other fan base know this.
    They "know" it because it's an easy, uninformed lazy answer. The "they all suck, ptoey" answer.

No, they do not all suck. Our O-line is one of the best in the league. Our WR's are adequate for winning (with Holmes back). And our RB's are servicable.

Our QB, however, is withotu any question one of the worst int he NFL this year, and collectively over the past four years. Deflecting it away to "all of um" is misdirection. Sanchez is our weakest link, at the single most vital position on the football field.

or to put it another way, Sanchez can (with one throw and one fumble) erase all the good play of our D and RB's for an entire game. One INT and one fumble. Not exactly uncommon in the Sanchez Era.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As many of us have been saying, the OL has not been the problem with this offense in 2012. Obviously this OL is a downgrade from the 2008-2010 squad, same for just about every other unit on the team, but the OL hasn't had as much of a drop off as some would think and is very much improved from last year.