Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro Football Focus Offensive Line Rankings

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've given up on defending the line. If anyone thinks this is still a bad line they don't watch a lot of football. Our 2 weakest links are FAs and you'd think we'd be loosing all pros if you read some of the comments. Do we need to fill the RT and a G slot yeah sure but we don't have to go crazy to improve there IMO. Just one mid round hit makes this a great line again.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if I buy #5 in the league only because for much of the year they did such a poor job at run blocking. The pass protection has been fine. Issues with pressure have not been frequent and they are always compounded by Sanchez's remarkable ineptitude.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a weird feeling that Vick will be our QB next year. Even with the turnovers he is a much better QB then we have had here in a while and he will come at a discount b/c he's coming off an injury and he hasn't had a great year but still much more of a threat then Sanchez will ever be. The FO will look to make a splash (i.e Favre) in order to attempt to make the fan base happy. He is the ultimate hit or miss but as long as they bring a young QB in to sit behind him then I would be ok with it. Vick is what Tebow fans think Tebow is. I could see Holmes and Hill having big year like Jackson and Maclin b/c of the damage Vick can do with his feet. That will allow them to get down the field with one on one matchups. And unlike Sanchez, Vick will actually throw the ball to them.

Just think of what damage Vick could do with a solid o-line. The Eagles were atrocious in protecting him and that had a really bad effect on Vicks numbers this year. But saying that, they still were better passing numbers then Sanchez and running numbers isn't a comparison. Suddenly our running game wouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by Choon328; 12-07-2012 at 09:15 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Paging SAR (Same Assinine Rhetoric)......Paging SAR

Want to lay some more blame away from Sanchez?
    Give me a few minutes and I'll find a random blog to contradict this one, after all they are blogs.

We'd be 5-7 without Mark Sanchez. Bark up another tree.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think I've seen the OL pick up a 3rd down, passing down situation, blitz all year.

I'm sure it's Sanchez's fault though. Good quarterbacks block the incoming speed rusher themselves.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...od_nfl_xxx_xxx

Very interesting information from a very reliable place.
    Pro football focus at times did not have manning or Brady as a top ten qb.

They are a bunch of geeks, who think you can grade football like baseball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think that NEs is somewhat the opposite of ours in the sense that Brady always has them in the correct calls and gets rid of the ball so quickly that the lineman dont give up as many sacks or pressures.
    agreed that Brady makes the oline better. But even without Brady they are top 10. The depth on the oline is amazing in a year that we lost Light and Waters
    both of who were voted probowl last year. Mankins has missed more games than he played and both Vollmer and Connolly have missed games. Solder and Wendell who are both 1st year starting players are the only ones to have played every game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting article and Sanchez makes way too many mistakes when pressured BUT it could be that part of the problem is that he has the leagues worst group of WRs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    agreed that Brady makes the oline better. But even without Brady they are top 10. The depth on the oline is amazing in a year that we lost Light and Waters
    both of who were voted probowl last year. Mankins has missed more games than he played and both Vollmer and Connolly have missed games. Solder and Wendell who are both 1st year starting players are the only ones to have played every game.
    Cannon was one of my top ranked lineman in 2011. For a 5th rounder they have one heck of a BU RT/G as well. But still very young overall. Under most any other QB they would not be a top ten line. They are headed in that direction though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    I don't think I've seen the OL pick up a 3rd down, passing down situation, blitz all year.

I'm sure it's Sanchez's fault though. Good quarterbacks block the incoming speed rusher themselves.
    Good quarterbacks recognize the blitz and they either alter the protection schemes to account for it and/or they change the hot routes and they get the ball out of their hands.

Hell, even bad QBs do that. Remember the St. Louis game ? We had free runners at Bradford 3 or 4 times. Guys clean through the line and bearing down on him. What did he do ? He got rid of the ball. Might have looked ugly, might have been incomplete, might have been for a short gain, but it avoided the sack.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Easy counter - the Jets had the top ranked rushing offense in 2009 with Sanchez having roughly the same QB rating (I didn't look this up but I'm sure it's close).

Also, I want us to draft a QB and sign one in FA. But I'm not so big of a homer to think that we can score enough points with these receivers and runningbacks. We have to use more of our resources on offense. The talent is just not there, every analyst and fans from every other fan base know this.
    I agree with some of your premise there Buzz, but that line was all world in my opinion. Might rank among some of the very best the sport fielded. A young Woody and Faneca anchoring the talented supporting cast. I remember my roommate at the time marveling at how the OL blew open holes despite Ds stacking 8-9 guys in the box. It is unreasonable to expect that kind of a production again. Our RBs then weren't anything special either.

The thing is that a great QB can help loosen up the box for the line and not make it imperative to beat 8 man defensive fronts. Brady does it all the time because teams have to flood the backfield to prevent him from torching them through the air. All of a sudden their backs are bursting through for big gains. A bad QB puts more pressure on the OL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Give me a few minutes and I'll find a random blog to contradict this one, after all they are blogs.

SAR I
    It's not a blog at all. It's a reputable site that NFL analysts reference on air. They watch every player on every play and give them a pass/fail/ neutral grade for performance.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    So we'd be exactly the same as we are with our Franchise QB... why exactly should we keep him and pay him a huge salary??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    It's not a blog at all. It's a reputable site that NFL analysts reference on air. They watch every player on every play and give them a pass/fail/ neutral grade for performance.
    It doesn't fit SAR's world order, therefore it is flawed inherently.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    So we'd be exactly the same as we are with our Franchise QB... why exactly should we keep him and pay him a huge salary??
    You make it seem like we have an option to cut him and avoiding paying his salary or avoid the salary cap hit.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically the only rebuttals I've seen so far are:

"I'm sorry, but the line doesn't pass the eye test"

"I don't think I've seen the OL pick up a 3rd down, passing down situation, blitz all year"

"Give me a few minutes and I'll find a random blog to contradict this one, after all they are blogs"

In other words: "Nuh-uh! I know what I see."
    Yep, I would trust the eyes of Jets fans watching games on TV or at the game over people who make a living analyzing the game play-by-play using all-22 film.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 12-08-2012 at 01:02 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The same nfl analysts that reference rumors in the bleacher report.

Until this year these guys did not even have access to the game film. What were they watching TV? 1/2 the time even on a high def TV can you focus on a play, it is all depending on the angle that of the tv shot

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The same nfl analysts that reference rumors in the bleacher report.

Until this year these guys did not even have access to the game film. What were they watching TV? 1/2 the time even on a high def TV can you focus on a play, it is all depending on the angle that of the tv shot

And who are these guys and what coaching qualifications do they have? Do they have access to what the line calls were? if the guard is called upon to double the NT and the MLB runs free, the guard did what they play called for.

"he did his job" per BB, not knowing the line call how do they grade it?

Like i said in a previous post, they were times in the past that they did not have Manning and Brady in the top 10 qbs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats SAR. You've officially become the new bitonti. Making excuses for busts the Jets draft in the first round.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Congrats SAR. You've officially become the new bitonti. Making excuses for busts the Jets draft in the first round.
    The OL the RBs the WRs not the problem on offense

Sanchez as bad as Leinart

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2