Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69

Thread: Why Abortion and Not Prostitution?

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,466
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Why is Abortion legal, or more like downright demanded, but I still can't sell a kidney? Its in MY body, right? Its just a "cluster of cells", right? There isn't even any special rooms in the hospitals with teams of staff tasked with keeping kidneys "alive"....

    So whats the deal?
    Because a market for donated organs would ensure that only those with money receive transplants

  2. #22
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Because a market for donated organs would ensure that only those with money receive transplants
    Except by definition, an organ one wishes to sell (while alive) is not donated in the first place. It's "in use" by that individual.

    An organ that is owned by a decedents family is an asset of that family, like any other posession. Unless you are of the view that your dead body is owned by the public at-large, and should be confiscated at their desire and over your families wishes.

    Nothing would prohibit continued donations as they exist today if a market existed. There would just be a motivation to sell instead of donate.

    Still, this gets far afield of my intention with this thread, which is a specific comparison of the basic rights of the individual that permits abortion (and sex for money if it's videotaped), but bars sex for money if there are no recording devices.

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,172
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Except by definition, an organ one wishes to sell (while alive) is not donated in the first place. It's "in use" by that individual.

    An organ that is owned by a decedents family is an asset of that family, like any other posession. Unless you are of the view that your dead body is owned by the public at-large, and should be confiscated at their desire and over your families wishes.

    Nothing would prohibit continued donations as they exist today if a market existed. There would just be a motivation to sell instead of donate.

    Still, this gets far afield of my intention with this thread, which is a specific comparison of the basic rights of the individual that permits abortion (and sex for money if it's videotaped), but bars sex for money if there are no recording devices.
    Does that mean you can get a hooker as long as you video it? Loophole?

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Because a market for donated organs would ensure that only those with money receive transplants
    That and the country would be full of ugly dudes selling kidneys for fuk money.

    Prostitution should be highly regulated but legal IMO.

  5. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    That and the country would be full of ugly dudes selling kidneys for fuk money.

    Prostitution should be highly regulated but legal IMO.
    why "highly" regulated? I would think other than ensuring only adults participate and the participants don't spread disease, little other regulation would be required.

  6. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    this is the silliest comparison. The 2 are not related whatsoever.
    Really? Fill in the blanks.


    Abortion should be legal because: ________

    This rational does not apply to prostitution because: ________

  7. #27
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    why "highly" regulated? I would think other than ensuring only adults participate and the participants don't spread disease, little other regulation would be required.
    Just the usual OSHA Regs. and Anti-Slavery/Sweatshop type stuff already on the books for other professions I'd think.

  8. #28
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Really? Fill in the blanks.


    Abortion should be legal because: ________

    This rational does not apply to prostitution because: ________
    1. It's a private medical procedure. It should be legal.

    2. Prostitution is a business transaction between two adults, a service in exchange for money. Similar to massage. It should be legal.

    No relation to each other.
    Last edited by FF2; 12-12-2012 at 03:41 PM.

  9. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    1. It's a private medical procedure. It should be legal.

    2. Prostitution is a business transaction between two adults, a service in exchange for money. Similar to massage. It should be legal.

    No relation to each other.
    I think if you break the argument down into smaller points you might begin to see a relationship.

    Why should a private medical procedures be legal? The common argument involves the rights of an individual to control one's own body.

    Your argument for prostitution is not convincing. There are plenty of business transactions between two adults that should be illegal. Why should this particular one be legal? Again i think it would come down to ownership and the right to sell the services of one's own body.

    Moral consistency and legality don't always have a lot to do with each other. However, i believe Warfish is correct. The contention is not that abortion and prostitution are the same, or even similar. It is (if i am understanding him correctly) That arguments for abortion necessitate support for legalized prostitution if you wish to be consistent.

    That said, i suspect you have been right when you made the point earlier, about the cross section of people who support abortion and oppose prostitution being a small one.

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    As long as it is a transaction made between two consenting adults, I have no problem with legal prostitution. Just don't do it on the streets. Should order it like a pizza.
    agreed.

    I don't think you'll find many Pro choice people claiming otherwise.

    In fact it should be legalized and regulated, therefor better protecting the women and stopping child abuse and women NOT actually doing out of choice.

  11. #31
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    I think if you break the argument down into smaller points you might begin to see a relationship.

    Why should a private medical procedures be legal?
    A lengthy reply to It is rarely worth the effort.

    This case is no different.

    A "private medical procedure" is also a "business transaction between two adults". The two are one and the same.

  12. #32
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,376
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    A lengthy reply to It is rarely worth the effort.

    This case is no different.

    A "private medical procedure" is also a "business transaction between two adults". The two are one and the same.
    No.

    They're not.




    Sent from a phone using an app

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    1. It's a private medical procedure. It should be legal.

    2. Prostitution is a business transaction between two adults, a service in exchange for money. Similar to massage. It should be legal.

    No relation to each other.
    They're both sins. The political party that wants to merge religion and state is opposed to both its in the platform. That's the relation.

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,376
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    They're both sins. The political party that wants to merge religion and state is opposed to both its in the platform. That's the relation.
    lol

    Bingo.

    "Sins"


    The Super Christy Party lost and now the butthurt is reaching inflamed anus proportions.

  15. #35
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Munich, GER
    Posts
    504
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    1. It's a private medical procedure. It should be legal.

    2. Prostitution is a business transaction between two adults, a service in exchange for money. Similar to massage. It should be legal.

    No relation to each other.
    The times are indeed strange when you are the voice of reason.

  16. #36
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Just curious, how can one support abortion rights (my body, my choice, state has no right to decide for me what she does with her body, etc) but NOT equally support the right of women to choose to engage in sex for money, i.e. prostitution?

    In both cases, it's is 100% use of a womans body, made by the woman in question.

    What would then be the rational argument by a Pro-Choice Supporter AGAINTS legalization of prostitution as a protected federal right, same as abortion?
    It's not my body my choice it's competing interest in the first trimeseter. A limited right.

    Society has every right to regulate commerce.

  17. #37
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    I think if you break the argument down into smaller points you might begin to see a relationship.

    Why should a private medical procedures be legal? The common argument involves the rights of an individual to control one's own body.

    Your argument for prostitution is not convincing. There are plenty of business transactions between two adults that should be illegal. Why should this particular one be legal? Again i think it would come down to ownership and the right to sell the services of one's own body.

    Moral consistency and legality don't always have a lot to do with each other. However, i believe Warfish is correct. The contention is not that abortion and prostitution are the same, or even similar. It is (if i am understanding him correctly) That arguments for abortion necessitate support for legalized prostitution if you wish to be consistent.

    That said, i suspect you have been right when you made the point earlier, about the cross section of people who support abortion and oppose prostitution being a small one.

    If you want to get into REASONS why certain things are crimes you are going to open a can of worms that cant really be discussed in such a limited forum.

    Why is a handjob for money illegal but a massage is not? (whats a little sperm between friends, AMIRITE?)

    Why is pot illegal and booze is not?

    Why is MAA allowed, but 2 guys fighting is not?

    You are trying to shoehorn MY opinion into "The common argument involves the rights of an individual to control one's own body." And I just don't see it that way. Thats a silly argument. Hey, suicide is still illegal right?

    Simply because SOME people use that logic does lead to the conclusion that abortion and prostitution are somehow related.

  18. #38
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    They're both sins. The political party that wants to merge religion and state is opposed to both its in the platform. That's the relation.
    So it masturbation.

    How can anyone who is against abortion and prostitution support masturbation?

  19. #39
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    A lengthy reply to It is rarely worth the effort.
    Hey you know what? **** you. You're such a baby.

  20. #40
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    They're both sins. The political party that wants to merge religion and state is opposed to both its in the platform. That's the relation.
    Which side is it again that pushes for universal health care based on our "moral obligation" to help the less privileged and man's "right" to it?

    So funny how much the congregation of The Church of Liberalism hate religion.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us