Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Quinton Coples

we are set at DL with Wilkerson and Coples. If davis can step into MLB and we can draft an OLB who can rush the passer this D will be much better next year

would be nice to keep landry too

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    we are set at DL with Wilkerson and Coples. If davis can step into MLB and we can draft an OLB who can rush the passer this D will be much better next year

Yes, I really hope we resign Landry. Guy just.......fits, you know? He just looks like he belongs in a Jets jersey on our D. One of my favorite Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    A magnificent 111 yds passing in a game that it was clear the Jets were running an extremely vanilla game plan, due to all the injuries.

Let me guess, you think McElroy and Tebow do much better? LOL
    Was the lost fumble part of the game plan too? I despise Tebow the QB and don't think McElroy is anything to write home about. They all suck. I just think Greg is better than Mark as far as turnovers and FBIQ are concerned. He certainly gives up some in ability, but it's not like Mark has been putting that to great use anyway (whether due to game plan, mental makeup, or lack of skill players).

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Was the lost fumble part of the game plan too? I despise Tebow the QB and don't think McElroy is anything to write home about. They all suck. I just think Greg is better than Mark as far as turnovers and FBIQ are concerned. He certainly gives up some in ability, but it's not like Mark has been putting that to great use anyway (whether due to game plan, mental makeup, or lack of skill players).
    Was getting your QB smashed part of the game plan?

To say he was no big deal today makes sense.

To say he didn't go out an win the game does too.

To whine that your QB gets hit and fumbles and then to blame the QB is just goofy. It's not hard to find things about Sanchez to complain about on his own

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Was getting your QB smashed part of the game plan?

To say he was no big deal today makes sense.

To say he didn't go out an win the game does too.

To whine that your QB gets hit and fumbles and then to blame the QB is just goofy. It's not hard to find things about Sanchez to complain about on his own
    Fine. But he was decidedly mediocre. Nothing to write home about and nothing I think McElroy couldn't have done either. His performance is not an indicator that a possible replacement shouldn't be brought in this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post

Add a real free safety to the mix as well, then focus on offense for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I think he's being eased into the game.

Next season(hopefully after some of the "trash" gets jettisoned) he'll be getting the bulk of the snaps.
    Can't we ease Sanchez into the game. After all he is a 4th year rookie and still needs time to develop. How many 4th year rookies do you know putting up 121 yards in a game and only fumbling once.

Good thing Rex was 100% convinced he made the right decision. I was only like 98% sure! (all sarcasm if you cannot tell).

Re-watched game on NFL Game Rewind just a few minutes ago.

This was definitely the best game we've seen from Coples and he still did not play enough.

Other than his sack, he made a handful of other great plays.

- The INT at the end of the game was all on Coples's pressure. He completely dismissed Eugene Monroe (an underrated LT) and forced Henne to throw it a second early. He also forced a pressure the previous play too lined up in the same spot as the INT play (right end).

- On Harris's sack in the 3rd quarter, it was created by Coples collapsing the pocket. He drove the center back five yards on a bull rush and nearly captured Henne. Nonetheless, it forced Henne to abandon the pocket and get chased from behind by Harris

- He was able to get into the backfield on a few running plays and force the back to change directions behind the line of scrimmage

By watching him, it's pretty clear that if he can extend his arms on you, you're through. He just has to do that on a more consistent basis. And he'll be more consistent if he gets more snaps! I think quite honestly they're asking Coples to do a lot as a rookie. In this game alone, he lined up at 1 tech, 3 tech, 5 tech, and out wide as an edge rusher. Not only that, but he dropped into coverage a few times. We will probably see the real dividends next year, but I'm seeing some great flashes of play by Coples. I'm not crowning him now, but I'm going to pay close attention to him this offseason.

Wilk had a great day too.

We have a 22 year old and a 23 year old who are going to wreak havoc on interior lineman for the rest of this decade.
    Last edited by Rexipus Rex; 12-10-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Don't be an ass

You think McElroy is better than Mark based on absolutely NOTHING. The one time McElroy through the ball downfield last, it was a wounded duck that was intercepted, but the play was saved by a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Don't be an ass

You think McElroy is better than Mark based on absolutely NOTHING. The one time McElroy through the ball downfield last, it was a wounded duck that was intercepted, but the play was saved by a penalty.
    Yes, Sanchez would have made CERTAIN the play ended up in a turnover. He's way better than McElroy at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post

This was definitely the best game we've seen from Coples and he still did not play enough.

- The INT at the end of the game was all on Coples's pressure. He completely dismissed Eugene Monroe (an underrated LT) and forced Henne to throw it a second early. He also forced a pressure the previous play too lined up in the same spot as the INT play (right end).

- On Harris's sack in the 3rd quarter, it was created by Coples collapsing the pocket. He drove the center back five yards on a bull rush and nearly captured Henne. Nonetheless, it forced Henne to abandon the pocket and get chased from behind by Harris

- He was able to get into the backfield on a few running plays and force the back to change directions behind the line of scrimmage

By watching him, it's pretty clear that if he can extend his arms on you, you're through. He just has to do that on a more consistent basis. And he'll be more consistent if he gets more snaps! I think quite honestly they're asking Coples to do a lot as a rookie. In this game alone, he lined up at 1 tech, 3 tech, 5 tech, and out wide as an edge rusher. Not only that, but he dropped into coverage a few times. We will probably see the real dividends next year, but I'm seeing some great flashes of play by Coples. I'm not crowning him now, but I'm going to pay close attention to him this offseason.

We have a 22 year old and a 23 year old who are going to wreak havoc on interior lineman for the rest of this decade.
    Great analysis and post.

Willkerson in particular was completely unstoppable yesterday and coples played his best game as a jet as well. Wilkerson should undoubtedly get a probowl nod and neither of these guys should be criticized as bad draft picks.

My question on coples is where do you think he fits best long term? I know whether rex is here or not he will line up in multiple spots, but is he best suited for DT in a 4-3 front? Im not sure he is most valuable if he is lined up as an "edge rusher" as he isnt very fast, and it de-leverages his strength and quickness off the ball?

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post

I'm quite happy with Coples. Looks like he has put in the work and he will only get better. He seems versatile also. Coples was labeled as a boom or bust pick before the draft and as of right now he's closer to boom.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Great analysis and post.

Willkerson in particular was completely unstoppable yesterday and coples played his best game as a jet as well. Wilkerson should undoubtedly get a probowl nod and neither of these guys should be criticized as bad draft picks.

My question on coples is where do you think he fits best long term? I know whether rex is here or not he will line up in multiple spots, but is he best suited for DT in a 4-3 front? Im not sure he is most valuable if he is lined up as an "edge rusher" as he isnt very fast, and it de-leverages his strength and quickness off the ball?

Any thoughts?
    I think Rex is looking for guys who can play a role on both a 4-3 and a 3-4 D. Not necessarily the same role in each, but he wants to have pretty much the same 11 guys be able to play different alignments to counter the hurry up offenses like NE.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I think Rex is looking for guys who can play a role on both a 4-3 and a 3-4 D. Not necessarily the same role in each, but he wants to have pretty much the same 11 guys be able to play different alignments to counter the hurry up offenses like NE.
    I agree about rex's vision of coples, but what if rex isnt here. Or more importantly (since I think he will be) how does that affect our 2013 draft.

Devito is a free agent and pouha will only be able to come back at a very reduced cap number, leaving us wtih wilk, coples and kenrick ellis. A very young and potentially excellent group of 3, but also zero depth behind them.

If pace, bart and BT are gone then we need to find quite a few players to fill these spots. Just not sure how we can accomplish that while also filling guard, WR, TE and probably an RB

I agree about rex's vision of coples, but what if rex isnt here. Or more importantly (since I think he will be) how does that affect our 2013 draft.

Devito is a free agent and pouha will only be able to come back at a very reduced cap number, leaving us wtih wilk, coples and kenrick ellis. A very young and potentially excellent group of 3, but also zero depth behind them.

If pace, bart and BT are gone then we need to find quite a few players to fill these spots. Just not sure how we can accomplish that while also filling guard, WR, TE and probably an RB

Sure we have to fill roles, but the same holes we'll filling means a salary is coming off the books, most of them inflated, over-priced talent...
    The guys you're going to fill in behind Couples, Ellis and Wilk are going to be role player types (Devito isn't going to command big money)

You can't have studs everywhere.

Same thing with BT, Bart and Pace - there guys are worse than Jags at this point, they are old and slow. Spend money on a solid OLB and fill in the other spots with youth and some speed and they'll be fine. The Jets will almost certainly be saving money on LB spend and likely have a better unit.

Holmes back, Hill year two and Kerley the Jets receivers are fine. What they need to do is draft an impact RB and solid TE...

All Pro
    Fine. But he was decidedly mediocre. Nothing to write home about and nothing I think McElroy couldn't have done either. His performance is not an indicator that a possible replacement shouldn't be brought in this summer.
    I wanted to see McElroy, but at this point, who is there to throw to? No running back that can catch the ball, TE out, top 2 WR were out. No seperation, nothing to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    BUMP!

Great game for Coples today vs Jacksonville, a bunch of pressures and a sack...
    Agree. I started this thread not because I thought he was a bust but because I wasn't seeing him playing.

Hall Of Fame
    Great analysis and post.

Any thoughts?
    I think Coples is best as a 3-4 DE. Like you said, he doesnt have that speed you like as a 4-3 DE, and seems to be more effective at pushing the pocket from the middle, rather than speed rushing from the outside. I think he is in the perfect position right now, just needs more reps out there. He should be an every down player.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think Coples is best as a 3-4 DE. Like you said, he doesnt have that speed you like as a 4-3 DE, and seems to be more effective at pushing the pocket from the middle, rather than speed rushing from the outside. I think he is in the perfect position right now, just needs more reps out there. He should be an every down player.
    I think he screams RDE in a 4-3. A speed rusher over the LT, Wilk and Ellis in the middle and Coples over the RT.

Position doesn't matter with Coples. The only part that matters with Coples is having him rushing the passer from the interior of the line. He has special abilities with that. Even better abilities than Mo except Mo can also be a beast against the run.

Just need to basically overhaul the OLB position. Everything else is in good form. Gotta keep Landry, even if it means franchise tag. He does seem to like it here though. Seems to like Thurman and Rex a great deal.