Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Quinton Coples

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I think he screams RDE in a 4-3. A speed rusher over the LT, Wilk and Ellis in the middle and Coples over the RT.
    If sapp was able to play that LDE, which at 255-260 isnt that much of a stretch in a 4-3, and demario played one OLB, then we really only need to find 1 OLB in the draft.

If we continue on this 3-4 path, then demario moves to ILB, and we need to find 2 OLBs as even if sapp can contribute at all, I dont think he is able to play 3-4 OLB.

I think he screams RDE in a 4-3. A speed rusher over the LT, Wilk and Ellis in the middle and Coples over the RT.
    Best comparison I have for him is Justin Tuck. Good at DE, can be great when shifted inside on passing downs

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Best comparison I have for him is Justin Tuck. Good at DE, can be great when shifted inside on passing downs
    Well the giants can do that when you have Osi and JPP also on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If sapp was able to play that LDE, which at 255-260 isnt that much of a stretch in a 4-3, and demario played one OLB, then we really only need to find 1 OLB in the draft.

If we continue on this 3-4 path, then demario moves to ILB, and we need to find 2 OLBs as even if sapp can contribute at all, I dont think he is able to play 3-4 OLB.
    Well I think Demario would have to shift back to MLB in the nickle, as Harris has coverage issues as ILB, which will just be magnified as a MLB.

You can't lose 4 LB and just replace one, even going with a 4-3 alignment. What jet fans have to realize is that not all of the holes are going to be addressed long term this year. The front office is going to be like the little dutch boy plugging holes in the dike.

Well I think Demario would have to shift back to MLB in the nickle, as Harris has coverage issues as ILB, which will just be magnified as a MLB.

You can't lose 4 LB and just replace one, even going with a 4-3 alignment. What jet fans have to realize is that not all of the holes are going to be addressed long term this year. The front office is going to be like the little dutch boy plugging holes in the dike.
    Im fine with demario in the middle on passing downs, but then he would need to take over calling the defensive plays as harris wears the receiver in his helmet.

I know we cant fix every hole this year, and wouldnt even be surprised to see pace back here on a 1 year deal, but we really need to hope that one young guy like sapp can play a role next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Im fine with demario in the middle on passing downs, but then he would need to take over calling the defensive plays as harris wears the receiver in his helmet.

I know we cant fix every hole this year, and wouldnt even be surprised to see pace back here on a 1 year deal, but we really need to hope that one young guy like sapp can play a role next year.
    I can see Pace back next year. I dont know what the market will be for him, but he does have 3 million in dead money if cut, so I could see a one year deal in that range for him next year.

Very pleasd with Coples...gotta admit the pre draft stuff made me worried about a Gholston sequel but clearly not the case. Very excited to see Coples/Wilkerson the next few years....

IMO Gotta add some young playmakers with speed in the draft and FA - doesnt matter what position

I don't understand him not being on the field more, This has not been Devito's best year by any measure, so available time is not the reason. I am wondering if he has condition issues which is limiting his playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Position doesn't matter with Coples. The only part that matters with Coples is having him rushing the passer from the interior of the line. He has special abilities with that. Even better abilities than Mo except Mo can also be a beast against the run.

Just need to basically overhaul the OLB position. Everything else is in good form. Gotta keep Landry, even if it means franchise tag. He does seem to like it here though. Seems to like Thurman and Rex a great deal.
    100% right.

I don't understand him not being on the field more, This has not been Devito's best year by any measure, so available time is not the reason. I am wondering if he has condition issues which is limiting his playing time.
    Pace referenced this in his post game interview. He said that early on the young guys were learning this defense....it seems like they have got it now...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Is he still alive?

At the game it can sometimes be difficult to follow who's making the tackles or pressuring the QB but I don't remember hearing Coples name called at all last week.
    WHo??

Wilkinson and Coples seem fine.

What I wonder about is Ellis II, or Ellis the Younger if you prefer.

Has he been doing anything of value?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

He has been injured off and on all season. Not sure he can be counted on as a solid replacement for Pouha yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He has been injured off and on all season. Not sure he can be counted on as a solid replacement for Pouha yet.
    Aye, thats what I thought.

If he can recover, we've got the makings of a silid group here up front. What we need (on D) is some talent at Linebacker. A need I sure hope we address this forthcoming offseason (along with QB).

All Pro

Rex talked about him in his press conference. He said Wilkerson and Coples are coming along fine and that they now have to get Ellis up to par after his knee injury. Said Ellis played much better at the beginning of the year. I think it was encouraging that Rex basically said these three will anchor our DLine for many years to come...

All Pro

If he can recover, we've got the makings of a silid group here up front. What we need (on D) is some talent at Linebacker. A need I sure hope we address this forthcoming offseason (along with QB).
    I think all we need from Kenrick Ellis to be a stout 3-4 NT, no more and no less. He has to clog the middle and command double teams. Coples and Wilkerson have so much pass rush potential from a position where it is not expected that those three if Ellis plays well against the run they got a chance to special considering their youth and their upside.

Hall Of Fame

Yea, a rotation with Wilk, Coples, Pouha, Ellis and Devito is very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

Just need to basically overhaul the OLB position. Everything else is in good form. Gotta keep Landry, even if it means franchise tag. He does seem to like it here though. Seems to like Thurman and Rex a great deal.
    Can't. Part of the 1 year deal was that the Jets can't tag him with either franchise or transition tag.

Landry is probably gone, doubt Jets can afford him

Coples doesn't scream 4-3 DE he shouts it at the top of his lungs on loudspeakre with industrial-sized bose speakers behind wall simulcast on the internet and basic cable.

We're losing alot of exclusive 3-4 players this off-season (BT, Pace, Scott). Demario Davis can play either scheme. Jets could draft Khaseem Greene in rd 1 this season he's got 100+ tackles per year written all over him and he'd be a very solid pick to play OLB in 4-3.

If you're counting on the whole "pass rush up the middle" stuff to be the key with Coples keep in mind JJ Watt is really the only pass rusher in the entire league who does it. Everyone else rushes from the edge. There's a reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    Can't. Part of the 1 year deal was that the Jets can't tag him with either franchise or transition tag.

Landry is probably gone, doubt Jets can afford him
    Landry's going to want multiple years at big money. He'll be 28 and coming off an excellent season. I'd rather the Jets save their money he's a huge injury risk.