Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinton Coples

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Yeah, I'd much rather have Bryan Thomas (our leading sacker ) and Calvin Pace starting than a guy who has 6 sacks and 3 FFs.

We needed a difference maker and so far Coples isn't that. Jones, on the other hand, has made a huge impact for NE.
    Jones isn't playing standing up...strictly 4-3 end

Do you understand the difference?

He's shown enough to have me not worried about his development. Possible that he has hit a wall but he'll be good with proper coaching.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

Do you understand the term "difference maker?" Do you understand how badly the Jets need one of those?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You don't actually watch players or the games.

You just whine about everything
    Did I say anything untruthful? His biggest play this year was a facemask.

The people that are satisfied with what they have seen from Coples are the same people that are satisfied with Sanchez.

I'm not calling him a bust or saying he sucks or can't improve. All I am saying is that he has been nondescript.

You absolutely can not compare Coples to Jones

No way Jones could play inside in a 3-4 scheme....whereas I think Coples would be fine playing outside in a 4-3

Happy with Coples
    Coples plays nose? I think you may be very confused. I seen Rex put Coples inside in a 4-3 when he hace pace put his hand on the ground, but I never seen Coples on the nose in a 3-4 alignment. I missed a couple of games, but if you could tell me what game I would love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Coples plays nose? I think you may be very confused. I seen Rex put Coples inside in a 4-3 when he hace pace put his hand on the ground, but I never seen Coples on the nose in a 3-4 alignment. I missed a couple of games, but if you could tell me what game I would love to see it.
    If memory serves me correctly, I saw Coples playing nose or 1 technique on a play or two this year tops...but it was in an obvious passing situation. Wilkerson got his first career safety last year playing the 1 technique on a passing down.

Ok. So our defensive guru of a coach can't put this kid in a position to actually make an impact?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, I saw Coples playing nose or 1 technique on a play or two this year tops...but it was in an obvious passing situation. Wilkerson got his first career safety last year playing the 1 technique on a passing down.
    I understand Wilkerson playing the nose, the guy is 320 lbs or so. Coples looks like he is 275 and with nothing in his seat.

I seen BB Put Cunningham at 260 on the nose but with 5 guys with their hands on the ground, And I seen Rex stand guys up and move them around before the snap.

Come to think of it, where does Coples play on the FG team?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    WHere did I say Coples plays nose? He plays 5 technique

I just said Jones can't play inside (5 technique)

WHere did I say Coples plays nose? He plays 5 technique

I just said Jones can't play inside (5 technique)
    you said inside in a 3-4, the only place inside in a 3-4 is on the nose or in the 2 or 3 gaps. playing the 4 gap or the 5 gap is not considered playing inside. Plus I seen him in the 4 gap much more than the 5.

If you meant to say inside the offensive tackle's shoulder you should have said so.

Not only is Coples not getting a lot of snaps lately, but I've noticed that when they bring him on passing downs a lot of the time they have him drop into coverage rather than rush the passer. Who the hell knows why, but it seems odd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    Not only is Coples not getting a lot of snaps lately, but I've noticed that when they bring him on passing downs a lot of the time they have him drop into coverage rather than rush the passer. Who the hell knows why, but it seems odd to me.
    probably because there's nobody else on our roster can cover. our LB's are the slow as hell pace and BT coming off achilles surgery. we desperately need faster LB's

All Pro
    I think the long term plan with Coples is pretty clear as it goes hand in hand with other moves we have made in recent years regarding the defense. The NFL becomes more and more of a passing league and the top teams will always look to attack you with the wrong personnel on the field. It has been extremely apparent when we played NE the last couple of times. Brady will pick our heavy packages apart and when we try to bring our nickel package in they run it a ton. The days where you can just mix and match from down to down are over, you can't play to many one dimensional players. DeVito was and is strictly a run defender and even in that regard he hasn't been great this year.

Now enter Coples who as of now might be a little light and inexperienced and put him at one DE spot and Wilkerson on the other side of the nose tackle. Than you have two big guys who can defend the run AND can rush the passer. If Coples develops according to plan then we have two big time players for the next decade at the end spots and it would give us a big advantage when we match up with different offenses.

Jets Insider VIP
    Coples is just fine

Another example of kneejerkers declaring a pick a bust in rookie season

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I think the long term plan with Coples is pretty clear as it goes hand in hand with other moves we have made in recent years regarding the defense. The NFL becomes more and more of a passing league and the top teams will always look to attack you with the wrong personnel on the field. It has been extremely apparent when we played NE the last couple of times. Brady will pick our heavy packages apart and when we try to bring our nickel package in they run it a ton. The days where you can just mix and match from down to down are over, you can't play to many one dimensional players. DeVito was and is strictly a run defender and even in that regard he hasn't been great this year.

Now enter Coples who as of now might be a little light and inexperienced and put him at one DE spot and Wilkerson on the other side of the nose tackle. Than you have two big guys who can defend the run AND can rush the passer. If Coples develops according to plan then we have two big time players for the next decade at the end spots and it would give us a big advantage when we match up with different offenses.
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Coples is just fine

do you ever make a post without insulting someone?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I felt the same way originally. But Melvin Ingram (who most thought they would pick) hasn't exactly torn the league up either.

Coples has shown enough this year to warrant the #16 pick...now they just need more from him in year 2.
    Ingram's done virtually nothing.

Considering how spotty Coples' time on the field as been - I'm thoroughly content with his development thus far. Wilkerson got a lot more playing time last year and didn't flash as much as Coples has already.
    ....and look at Wilkerson now - emerging as a premier player at his position.

The only thing holding back Coples is the CS.

Coples is just fine

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    He will only be fine and could be much better if he wasn't being jammed into a round hole when he is a square peg.

Coples is just fine

This. People damn near expect guys to be HoF bound in their rookie season and it's ridiculous. Coples doesn't get sack and hit stats because he's often double-teamed, and now Rex is barely playing him.

It's not necessarily about production when it comes to rookies. You want to see the ability and talent when they do play, though. Focus on Cople's during a game. He has some great natural ability. One thing you'll notice about him, if you watch him, is his natural strength. He has MAN strength. In the 49ers game, he grabbed Frank Gore with one hand, stopped Gore dead in his tracks, and SLAMMED him on the ground. You don't see that often.

Anyone worried about Coples is nuts. He's going to be good.