Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: theological justifications for Jets/Yankee rooting interest?

theological justifications for Jets/Yankee rooting interest?

I've always thought that something rang very hollow about a Jet/Yankee fan. the Jets and the Mets cut the exact same thread. both sprang to being due to the work of renegade outsiders -- Jets through the AFL, Mets through Bill Shea and the Continental League. they shared a stadium, shared triumph over heartbreak in 1969... I don't understand? surely you like your sports to occupy a meaningful place in your life, and a Jet-Yankee rooting interest is playing both sides against the middle. you're either Gentle or the Giant, the 70s rock and roll hedonist or the 90s kid in a tight t-shirt...

All League
    sh1t happens. get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    sh1t happens. get over it.
    yes, but something better-written and thought-out than that?

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    yes, but something better-written and thought-out than that?
    As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.

I've always thought that something rang very hollow about a Jet/Yankee fan. the Jets and the Mets cut the exact same thread. both sprang to being due to the work of renegade outsiders -- Jets through the AFL, Mets through Bill Shea and the Continental League. they shared a stadium, shared triumph over heartbreak in 1969... I don't understand? surely you like your sports to occupy a meaningful place in your life, and a Jet-Yankee rooting interest is playing both sides against the middle. you're either Gentle or the Giant, the 70s rock and roll hedonist or the 90s kid in a tight t-shirt...
    You know most people get their allegiances from their dads when they are seven, right? I grew up on Long Island with a dad from the Bronx who loved baseball and never really cared for football. Not much more complicated than that.

Undrafted Free Agent
    BALONEY!

All League
    Always loved the Yankees, Always loved the Jets. Kinda picked 'em as my team for random reasons when I was 4 or 5. I was given a Joe Namath Jets uniform complete with helmet and little shoulder pads when I was around 5, been a Jets fan ever since. My pops was a NY Baseball Giants fan, and my Mom was a Brookly Dodgers fan growing up...and I somehow wound up a Yankee fan. Might have something to do with Munsons death when I was a kid. Something got imprinted or whatever, and ther it was.

A full grown, diehard, Jets and Yankees fan. At least one has been good to root for.

Like the yanks since 87, they went to hell and stuck with them. They have been a model franchise since. I love al toon and Wesley walker. Those a holes drew me in, now I'm stuck!

My first baseball memory was the Yankees playing the Dodgers in the World Series. My first football memory was watching the Jets vs Fish in the 1982 AFC Championship game and AJ Duhe.

For people thinking that all Jet/yankee fans must be people who wanted to root for one good team, well, as a kid growing up in the mid to late 80s i had to suffer with the Mets winning a World Series and Giants winning 2 Super Bowls. Sure since 1996 us Yankee fans have had it good, but some of us had plenty of years of suffering before the years of Yankee domination.

For people that like to justify a link between the Jets and the Mets because of what happened in 1969 well you should know that some of us aren't 50 years old and our relationship with our favorite teams are not tied to what happened before we were born.

Here's how I wound up as a Yankee fan and a Jets fan.

I was born in the Bronx. My mother is a huge Yankee fan and was taking me to baseball games from the time I was 3 years old. By the time I was 5, I knew the entire roster and was reading every Yankee box score and the daily reports from the beat writers. Box scores being "Yankee numbers" and daily reports being "Yankee stories." (That's actually how I learned to read: the beat reports.)

I'm not even sure I was aware of football's existence, except for the Super Bowl. Cowboys-Steelers is the first one I remember watching. As a 5 year old, for me, the entire sports world consisted of baseball, the Knicks, and Michael Jordan.

The 2 years later, we moved in with my new stepfather. He, and his entire family, were huge Jets fans. I became more aware of football, and was now surrounded by Jets fans. And not just in the family. My new home was on Long Island. And that was pretty much it.

I distinctly remember early days when I would wonder why my stepdad hated Neil O'Donnell so much. I remembered him from the Super Bowl, and if he had been in the Super Bowl then that must have meant that he was really good. Little did I know.

So there you go. Yankee fan. Jets fan.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

I look at it as God's way of establishing equilibrium.

SAR I

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

My father is Mets/Jets. My uncle/godfather asked him if he could take me to a Yankees game. My father figured I wouldn't remember.

I did.

And I am eternally grateful.

That said, I empathize with the Mets and do root for them in a passive way. I feel badly for all my friends and family that are Jets/Mets. It is a cruel existence.

Two names. Joe Namath and Mickey Mantle. The Mick saved me from being a Jet/Met fan. Damm Joe Willie suckered me in. I could not imagine rooting for the Mets along with the Jets. I don't know how people do it. I always have the Yanks. Not sure if that's true anymore and I hate the NBA

I kinda see the Yankee/ Jet fan as being akin to the rich/ spoiled kid who wanted to act like he was from the hood.
    To me the last sentence in your post defines what we'd call posers back in the day.

No offense to anyone here.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 12-08-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Effin posers.

Originally from The Bronx, so of course I grew up rooting for the Yankees.

My step-dad introduced me to football, and he was a Jets fan. So I've rotted for them ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    +1 I'm certainly glad I'm not a mets fan

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    So I've rotted for them ever since.
    Best freudian slip ive ever read on these boards.

I fell into the trap of rooting for the teams my dad liked. He grew up in Bridgeport, CT and I was born there. We moved to Florida when I was four and the only Florida team I cheer for is the U. I am grateful to be a Yankee fan. I loved watching Donny Baseball growing up and the success we had in the 90's and 2000's. I am a Jet fan through and through. The day that we hoist the Lombardi trophy (may it come quickly) will be one if the sweetest days in my life. I am a Jet/Yankee.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    +1.

I thank God that I am a Yankees fan. I don't know how the Jets/Mets fans do it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

My dad was always a Yankees fan but wasn't a big NFL fan. The first NFL game he ever took me to was a Jets game when I was 9 (Nov. 1993 - QB Boomer Esiason leads the Jets to a win over his former Bengals). I was immediately hooked.

Plus, I'm from Central NJ. I have no geographical NY bias.