Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 95

Thread: Woodhead/McElroy

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the wake of the 2012 ButtGobbler Fiasco I forgive any Jet fan for forgetting an earlier Jet game this season at NE.

    If you will recall with a minute left in the game Brady threw a screen to Woodhead for 20 yards and then another 7 yd pass to him to set up the game tying FG (43 yards).

    So while the Patriots can rely on this Danny Woodhead to save a game in crunch time against us - he sucks and has literally no value?

    We lost that game in overtime because Sanchez, on 2nd & 10 in 4-down territory, tried to keep a play alive while getting sacked. He literally is an 8-figure liability that keeps costing us. But good riddance to Woodhead!

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Woodhead isn't a bad RB at all, but let's consider the benefit of being a back on an offense where teams have to respect the pass first and foremost due to the Elite HoF QB that is under center. Put Sanchez on that team and you start to see Woodhead's productivity go down when the teams are able to stack the box because they don't have to respect the pass much at all.

    Again, Woodhead is a good RB and deserves credit. But let's not act like he's MJD rushing for over 1k yards when teams do nothing but stack the box against him.
    Yeah, i wasnt bashing Woodhead.
    Its just i believe the Brady factor is the primary reason that he works up there.
    Dare i say the same for most of the Pats WR's, and skill players........on other teams with out Tom, they may not excel to the level they do now.

    With Gronk and Hernandez being the exception. They are probably good on any team in the league, with or with out Brady.

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,659
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Yeah, i wasnt bashing Woodhead.
    Its just i believe the Brady factor is the primary reason that he works up there.

    Dare i say the same for most of the Pats WR's, and skill players........on other teams with out Tom, they may not excel to the level they do now.

    With Gronk and Hernandez being the exception. They are probably good on any team in the league, with or with out Brady.
    Oh, I know you weren't. I was just pointing it out, lol. I definitely think Danny is a solid RB that has some play-making ability and is an excellent check-down/screen pass catcher. I just believe that, with any RB, playing on a Tom Brady led offense makes your job WORLDS easier.

  4. #24
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woodhead is never going to make the pro bowl but here's what you can't deny.

    The Patriots have had an oportunity to replace him with free agents and draft picks for the last few seasons and haven't. It's pretty obvious that NE doesn't view him as some stop gap to get through the season and if he "sucked" as some people believe, he would have been replaced by NE by now.

    The fact is that whether Brady makes him better or not, he's stuck because he fills a need and he is dependable. You have to assume that Brady would make it easier for any running back yet Woodhead has kept the job through training camps and multiple seasons of free agents now.

    The kid is a baller. He gets asked to perform and he does. That's why he's there.
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 12-08-2012 at 11:01 AM.

  5. #25
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,659
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Woodhead is never going to make the pro bowl but here's what you can't deny.

    The Patriots have had an oportunity to replace him with free agents and draft picks for the last few seasons and haven't. It's pretty obvious that NE doesn't view him as some stop gap to get through the season and if he "sucked" as some people believe, he would have been replaced by NE by now.

    The fact is that whether Brady makes him better or not, he's stuck because he fills a need and he is dependable. You have to assume that Brady would make it easier for any running back yet Woodhead has kept the job through training camps and multiple seasons of free agents now.

    The kid is a baller. He gets asked to perform and he does. That's why he's there.
    Part of that reason is because NE doesn't get too involved with big name FAs. What NE does is DEVELOP talent and put them in position to succeed. Danny already has talent and ability, and is a very dependable back for an offense that, until this year, wasn't running the ball very much.

    Not a pro-bowler, but a very dependable RB. People make too much out of superstar status, anyway.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In The Cone of Doom
    Posts
    6,952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woodhead is not a #1 by any means but is a good role player and provides decent backup. That is never lost on BB and he values those players.

  7. #27
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously, don't sleep on Woodhead because he's not a #1 back. He's a great change-of-pace guy, has very reliable hands, great instincts, and almost never has negative plays. He gets first downs. Someone mentioned the 4th-and-17 conversion. He had the winning TD scamper against Arizona that was called back on a phantom Gronk hold. That little dude can ball.

    I'm not killing the Jets for not being able to figure out how to use him (that kinda seems like their thing), but to deny his value based on a stat line is stupid.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    Never forget...the same genius brain trust that came to the conclusion that Woodhead either A) Couldn't play OR B) Didn't know how to use him has now decided that McElroy also can't play.......the simple fact is that these people can no longer be allowed to evaluate talent....it is crippling this team...
    100% agreed...

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Danny Goodhead is not a good NFL player. I don't know where this myth came from that he's Wes Welkr/Wayne Chrebet and Reggie Bush all rolled into one. He'd be practice squad fodder without Brady.

    Way Overrated.

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Danny Goodhead is not a good NFL player. I don't know where this myth came from that he's Wes Welkr/Wayne Chrebet and Reggie Bush all rolled into one. He'd be practice squad fodder without Brady.

    Way Overrated.
    he doesn't fumble like the guy we kept instead of him

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Yeah, i wasnt bashing Woodhead.
    Its just i believe the Brady factor is the primary reason that he works up there.
    Dare i say the same for most of the Pats WR's, and skill players........on other teams with out Tom, they may not excel to the level they do now.

    With Gronk and Hernandez being the exception. They are probably good on any team in the league, with or with out Brady.
    Gronk, Hernandez and Wes Welker are just great football players. Guys like Edelman and Goodhead are only relevant because of Brady.

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    he doesn't fumble like the guy we kept instead of him
    Oh please Giveshead would be awful with our current O-line and no playmakers opening up the field for him.

  13. #33
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Oh please Giveshead would be awful with our current O-line and no playmakers opening up the field for him.
    Oh go please yourself, Let's go back in time, first we could have just kept Leon Washington, and let Woodhead be his replacement until he returned.

    But Mr T, the dummy that he is had to stick it to Leon and draft McKnight with the pick we got for Leon.

    We would be a MUCH better team if we hadn't traded Leon and we would still have Woodhead on the roster if we went that direction...

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Oh go please yourself, Let's go back in time, first we could have just kept Leon Washington, and let Woodhead be his replacement until he returned.

    But Mr T, the dummy that he is had to stick it to Leon and draft McKnight with the pick we got for Leon.

    We would be a MUCH better team if we hadn't traded Leon and we would still have Woodhead on the roster if we went that direction...
    Oh now I get it thank you. The reason why the Jets suck is all because of Joe McKnight now. Had we overpaid for Leon Washington and kept the 5'6 slot receiver who lines up at halfback we'd be 11-1 right now.

    If only we could have had a Tebow/Goodhead core to build around with.

  15. #35
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Oh now I get it thank you. The reason why the Jets suck is all because of Joe McKnight now. Had we overpaid for Leon Washington and kept the 5'6 slot receiver who lines up at halfback we'd be 11-1 right now.

    If only we could have had a Tebow/Goodhead core to build around with.
    Ok, take it to a ridiculous extreme to make yourself feel right, whatever floats your boat, bro

    BTW, do you think maybe Leon could have been the missing piece that pushed us past Pitt and won us a Super Bowl?

    I do...

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    BTW, do you think maybe Leon could have been the missing piece that pushed us past Pitt and won us a Super Bowl?
    No, firing Brian Schottenheimer before the 2010 season was.

  17. #37
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Oh go please yourself, Let's go back in time, first we could have just kept Leon Washington, and let Woodhead be his replacement until he returned.

    But Mr T, the dummy that he is had to stick it to Leon and draft McKnight with the pick we got for Leon.

    We would be a MUCH better team if we hadn't traded Leon and we would still have Woodhead on the roster if we went that direction...
    In all fairness, we didn't quite stick it to Leon. he was offered a very nice 4 year 20 Million dollar deal and he turned it down. But I see your point.

  18. #38
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    No, firing Brian Schottenheimer before the 2010 season was.
    Even though you may think you know it all, here's a news bulletin:

    You don't

    I don't either, but at least I don't think i do

  19. #39
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    In all fairness, we didn't quite stick it to Leon. he was offered a very nice 4 year 20 Million dollar deal and he turned it down. But I see your point.
    True, but that was BEFORE his injury, we could have made a deal with him after the season for less money and I'm sure he would have takin it

  20. #40
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    True, but that was BEFORE his injury, we could have made a deal with him after the season for less money and I'm sure he would have takin it
    You're probably right. The Jets need a lot of help.


    HELP!!!!! Please

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us