Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Woodhead/McElroy

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N Y J View Post
    I would say Woodhead is just a product of the system. They have the ability to plug players in and they succeed.
    He's absolutely a product of the system and the QB. His talent suits it, no question, but he is only still in the NFL because of the Pats System and Tom Brady.

Put Woodhead on almost any other NFL team, and he's right back to where he was here, same place Leon Washington and McKnight is today....3rd string or kick returner.

Hell, Woodhead is (as a running back) basicly third string now as it is, with both Bolden and Vareen getting almost as many carries as Woodhead does in that 4-back rotation. What Woodhead does offer is a scatback/flanker role for catching passes out of the backfield.

On a Sanchez-led Jets, thats another spot we can't utilize anyway. Half of the Sachex-throws to such a player would result in pick-6's for ****s sake. And 1 in 10 would result in some bone-crushing injury causing hit when Sanchez led Woodead righto some viscious hit.

No, Woodhead leaving was the best and ony thing that culd make what Woodhead is today, a very valued third string RB/Reciever on a team whose system, QB and style of spreading the ball around can make use of him.

Bemoaning the loss of Woodhead is misdirection. Bemoan that we drafted Sanchez, not Brady, hired Groh not Bellichek, and felt McKnight could do more behind L.T. and gReene than Woodhead could (probably true in our system of up-the-gut-running with a horribly inaccurate QB).

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Woodhead is never going to make the pro bowl but here's what you can't deny.

The Patriots have had an oportunity to replace him with free agents and draft picks for the last few seasons and haven't. It's pretty obvious that NE doesn't view him as some stop gap to get through the season and if he "sucked" as some people believe, he would have been replaced by NE by now.

The fact is that whether Brady makes him better or not, he's stuck because he fills a need and he is dependable. You have to assume that Brady would make it easier for any running back yet Woodhead has kept the job through training camps and multiple seasons of free agents now.

The kid is a baller. He gets asked to perform and he does. That's why he's there.
    Good logical post!
    Last edited by LIJetsFan; 01-01-2013 at 08:02 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe McElroy can sign with New England and change positions to FB and get 400 yards receiving catching dumpoffs from Brady in the flats like any other untalented douche they use for that. Silly Jets!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Maybe McElroy can sign with New England and change positions to FB and get 400 yards receiving catching dumpoffs from Brady in the flats like any other untalented douche they use for that. Silly Jets!
    So, you're saying that Brady and the Pats are just so good that, not only will they keep an "untalented douche" on the roster for funsies, but they'll utilize him on a regular basis and in big spots?

I swear, some of you act like Woody broke up with you right after prom.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    So, you're saying that Brady and the Pats are just so good that, not only will they keep an "untalented douche" on the roster for funsies, but they'll utilize him on a regular basis and in big spots?

I swear, some of you act like Woody broke up with you right after prom.
    Unreal isn't it? Belichick hasn't batted an eye in cutting high draft picks yet keeps an undersized undrafted RB around just for the heck of it. BB just puts Woody in on crucial third and long plays for no apparent reason.

As far as the Brady factor there is no denying he makes everyone better but Woodhead actually has to do something with the ball once he gets it, looks like some here are ignoring that pesky fact.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Music is horrible but vid shows Woodhead is not a scrub...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1st, 2nd 3rd string is not the point or how many snaps per game he gets. It is how effective he is at what the pats ask him to do. This is similar to Welker's role with the pats. Each guy strengths allow them to do certain things at a high level. BBs strength is that he does not ask them to do things that run counter to their strengths.

I like Woodhead a lot, and I am concerned that another GM will see him as a Darren Sproles type and pay him more than the pats value his role.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    He's absolutely a product of the system and the QB. His talent suits it, no question, but he is only still in the NFL because of the Pats System and Tom Brady.

Put Woodhead on almost any other NFL team, and he's right back to where he was here, same place Leon Washington and McKnight is today....3rd string or kick returner.

Hell, Woodhead is (as a running back) basicly third string now as it is, with both Bolden and Vareen getting almost as many carries as Woodhead does in that 4-back rotation. What Woodhead does offer is a scatback/flanker role for catching passes out of the backfield.

On a Sanchez-led Jets, thats another spot we can't utilize anyway. Half of the Sachex-throws to such a player would result in pick-6's for ****s sake. And 1 in 10 would result in some bone-crushing injury causing hit when Sanchez led Woodead righto some viscious hit.

No, Woodhead leaving was the best and ony thing that culd make what Woodhead is today, a very valued third string RB/Reciever on a team whose system, QB and style of spreading the ball around can make use of him.

Bemoaning the loss of Woodhead is misdirection. Bemoan that we drafted Sanchez, not Brady, hired Groh not Bellichek, and felt McKnight could do more behind L.T. and gReene than Woodhead could (probably true in our system of up-the-gut-running with a horribly inaccurate QB).
    This. x1000
    Sadly, we just can't get other posters to understand this. So we get 2 or 3 threads a year on letting this player go.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has the Kevin Faulk role with the Pats. Since the Pats change their game plan week to week, depending on opponent situations, some games , he is heavily involved, and some games, he barely plays. It all depends on match ups, and the defenses he is running against, and how best to use him.

But he is very valuable, as small as he is, he is the Pats best blocking RB, he reads blitzes well, and Brady trusts him with pass protection, to assign him the free running LB, or safety. Because he blocks so well, he is great on 3rd and long situations, he can either stay in black allowing extra time for Brady and for longer routes to develop, or he can get the ball in space and make things happen.

And he runs between the tackles surprisingly well, you would think his game would be bouncing to the outside, and playing with space, but he sneaks behind the big offensive lineman, finds the smallest crevice of a hole, and gets his yards that way.

I don't know weather it was a good or bad move for the jets to let him go, or keep him, I am not familiar with the jets roster enough at the time to make a informed opinion, but I am glad that he is on the Pats, and he is not a limited role player, he plays a major role.

The only thing on the jets I can think of, is I always think the jets lack 53 man roster depth, They really don't put a lot of thought in the bottom of the roster, so when players get injured, they have nothing behind them. And teh jets run a very limited rotation in lots of positions, where teams rotate personel a lot more. But the jets have always been surprisingly lucky when it comes to injuries, this year they lose Revis and Holmes, which were big losses, but little else. Most teams have a revolving door at Dline and oline, and secondary folks, and tons of starters go down. the jets seem to always stay healthy. But they also seem to have such little depth, I am shocked a football player like Woodhead regardless of depth at a position, could not find a roster spot on the Jets.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    A fun offseason thread...I won't claim to have been against the move when the Jets decided to let him go, and maybe it made sense at the time.

But I agree with other posters that, in hindsight, it was a bad move...not the worst move this organization has made, but it has certainly come back to haunt the Jets by him going to a division rival. By all appearances, he's a great "team" guy, unselfish, willing to do whatever it takes, good clubhouse guy. And I've gotten to witness it firsthand living in New England. I was at the Pats-SF game and I saw him with his head up in the 2nd half, walking up and down the sidelines and telling his teammates that they could get back in that game. And he was a big part of the comeback by making the big plays when they needed it. Who, on the Jets current roster, is willing to do that? Where is the leader on this offense? (Rhetorical question...)

It's fun to argue whether or not he ever could've made the same impact in the trainwreck that is the Jets offense, but I don't see how anyone can deny that he's earned his time in New England and would be a welcome addition to the Jets.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    He is one tough sob. He will never run out of bound.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woodhead only a product of the QB? Sheer and utter nonsense. The guy gets open, catches the ball, runs pretty effectively, plays specials. Just the type of ancillary player you need to be effective in this league. The guy is a quality secondary player in this league and the Jets lack this type of player.

The Jets made a dumb mistake when he was exposed. It happens all the time in this league but to dismiss the ability of the player to stay in the league and contribute is just dumb. Especially under Belichick who will cut you in a moment if you do not perform, unlike our coach who keeps inferior players on the team for years out of 'loyalty'.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

New Orleans would use Woodhead well. Probably SD. But he didn't really fit here, as we have no offensive system. Hell, Gronk here would have 40 catches for 500 yards and 3 TDs.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    New Orleans would use Woodhead well. Probably SD. But he didn't really fit here, as we have no offensive system. Hell, Gronk here would have 40 catches for 500 yards and 3 TDs.
    Aye, a few teams (especially now, post-Patriots) could find a way to use him, I agree. Far easier now than back then tbqh, since the Pats wrote the Woodhead playbook.

Question really is this:

When Woodhead was cut, we had L.T., Greene and McKnight. Who should have been cut to make room (McKnight maybe?)

And assuming we cut McKnight, are the Jets materially better/more wins if we had done that? Is Woodhead producing for us if we had done that?

My belief is "no" and "no. My beleif is Woodhead would be a non-kick-returning McKnight, used very sparingly at RB, unable to beat out Powell or Greene for the kind of running game Rex runs.

Woodhead leaving was best for him, and best for us. woodhead got to have a career, and good for him. We have players better suited to what we do.

Everything else is fantasy that requires we have some other coach or some other system to be true. We didn't, we had Rex and Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brady hits his receivers in stride and whether they are tall or vertically challenged. Sanchez is just the opposite. He throws behind, low, over throws etc., can't throw a screen properly; therefore, everything suffers including taking advantage of a guy like woodhead who is almost invisible in the backfield and runs like the wind.